ammunition storage?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    How do you guys store your ammo? Right now, I have it in cans but I think I'd rather have it on shelves in a cabinet. Every time I want something I have to shuffle the cans around and find the right one then go through them. Just short of buying another gun safe just for ammo, what options are available? So far, I've considered one of those yellow metal flammables cabinets with a goldenrod installed, but if there's something better, tell me about it.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I'd put what you want to save in cans and what you will shoot soon on the shelf. Cans will be useful if you ever need to transport your ammo.

Right, but I have more than *a few* cans full. Some of *what I may shoot soon* is actually kept in magazines, on the shelf, near the safe ;).

peacemakr72

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    Sulphur, Louisiana
    Ammo Storage

I purchased a Gladiator free standing lockable cabinet from Lowes. It cost
    $285. It is perfect. I have a couple rounds stored in it. with room for all kind
    of extras like, mags, holsters etc. I is 6' X 3' X 20". Check em out.

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    My mom had this old metal cabinet she was going to throw away. So I took it and made it into an ammo cabinet.

Caliber sorted by shelf, although the 9mm shelf is getting a bit crowded, so i may switch to ammo cans for that.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

BayouDude

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Terrebonne Parish
    I did the same thing with a craftsman upright cabinet from sears. It is sheet metal and lockable (just to keep the kids out). I have one shelf for magazines then the other two I have ammo to shoot arranged by caliber then on the bottom I store my cans and other shooting gear. It works out perfect and I now have room to expand. Only thing is it only came with three shelves and it is 6' tall so I will probably build one or two more myself for extra storage.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    That is nice. I was worried about the weight capacity of each shelf but that seems to be holding up.

Someone recently offered me a small group of lockers removed from a health club. I think there's four of them that are connected as a group. Maybe I could mod those with shelves.

Last edited:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    That is nice. I was worried about the weight capacity of each shelf but that seems to be holding up.

Yup, the shelves will hold up fully loaded down. You'll notice, though, that the 12 ga. is on the bottom shelf, just in case. The key is finding an all metal cabinet. Its pretty stout. If it were one of those rubbermaid cabinets like they sell at Home Depot, no doubt the shelves would bow.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    most (actually i think all) of my ammo is in ammo cans except one half case of x39

That's what I've got going on now. My problem is if I can't see it at a glance, I tend to think I'm out and buy more. It's not necessarily a bad thing with ammo, but it IS getting a little crowded. I have several of the same tools for that very reason... I was thinking of building some cabinets but without doors.

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    I'm a firm believer in ammo cans.

When the house got flattened in Gustave, the vast majority of my ammo was under the smashed storage building and of course the tree. Exposed to water and the elements we dug it out about a week later. Then it was stored on a pallet covered by a tarp outside for the next 4.5 months. Finally when the house was rebuilt and I could bring it back inside I opened the cans.

All was good with no damage, or leakage. Like nothing had ever happened. Wiped off the outside of the cans and knocked a dent out of one. Back in business.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    i do ammo cans as well. i originally had the sorting problem you described but i borrowed a lable maker and just put a lable on the top of each can to tell me what caliber is in it. my only REAL problem is figuring out a way to hide all of the cans from my wife:D

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    i do ammo cans as well. i originally had the sorting problem you described but i borrowed a lable maker and just put a lable on the top of each can to tell me what caliber is in it. my only REAL problem is figuring out a way to hide all of the cans from my wife:D

I've labeled mine too and that does help.

If you figure out how to cloak them, let me know. For now, it just looks like they're multiplying.

I'm going to look at those lockers from the health club today and see what I can do with those.

jgreco15

The Zebra
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    I've labeled mine too and that does help.

If you figure out how to cloak them, let me know. For now, it just looks like they're multiplying.

Mine are mutliplying as well! the only disguise I have as of now is filling a few with fired brass and just showing her that there is only "trash" in them.:cool:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Range ammo.

I keep the good stuff locked up but here is a some of my range ammo.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom