Rottweiler needs a home

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Please reply by conversation.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    My girlfriend has a Rottweiler that she is trying to find a home for. She has work and school and doesn't have time to play with him. He just sits in the yard all day bored, and this upsets her. She wants to give him to someone who will take good care of him and give him attention and exercise.

His name is Gryffin and he is a 3 year old, full blooded Rottweiler. A little overweight due to lack of exercise (about 100 pounds). He is housebroken and gets along with other dogs. He is playful and friendly, as far as we know good with children (he isn't around children all the time, but he has been around toddlers from time to time and has yet to eat one).

Would be an excellent guard dog, if only by virtue of the fact that he is big, strong, and has a very scary sounding bark.

One caveat: he may have the early stages of heartworms. He had them once before and was treated, and has been on heartworm medication ever since, but a few weeks ago he went to the vet and the vet said he might have them again. He is going back to the vet in a few weeks for another test (maybe a different vet - my girlfriend didn't like that vet).

She still loves the dog and is hesitant to give him to just anyone. So if you are interested let me know, and I'll let her know, and I can get you in communication. She just wants to make sure he will be with someone who will treat him well and has space for him to run around and who will walk him/play with him regularly.

Picture:
    gryff.jpg

Last edited:

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Texted GF, she says she doesn't have papers but he could be easily registered, and that she believes he is half american, half german.

Forgot to mention, he is also neutered. Will post a pic of the dog later.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    Not to be an ass, but I find it very hard to believe that out of the seven days in a week she can't find an hour out of her day to walk the dog or throw the ball. To be quite honest, its ********. NOBODY works and goes to school so much they don't have a single free hour during the day. Having been a part of rescue organizations and no kill shelters it makes me SICK when someone likes the idea of having a dog more than actually have a dog. If I had a nickle for every rott, pit bull, or any other bull breed that we had put down because of situations like this.

Tell your girlfriend to honor her responsibility and take an hour of her day for a dog that didn't choose to have an owner that was just "too busy." Let's be honest, she got in over her head and doesn't feel like dealing with a dog, so its easier to pass it off and let someone else honor her commitment to an animal that depends of her to keep it alive.

Look up louisiana rottweiler rescue. They can help you out.

And just for the record, I too work full time AND go to school full time, yes magically I have a few minutes each day to walk both of my dogs. BOTH dogs I got from people who "worked and went to school!"

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Not to be an ass, but you're being kind of an ass.

Look, I know the dog is neglected. I want to find a good home for him. The whole story is that my girlfriend used to live with her sister when she was an undergrad. The sister wanted a dog, and so they got the Rottweiler. Not long afterward, the sister basically dumped the entire responsibility off on my girlfriend and now has nothing to do with the dog whatsoever. Her dad won't let him come in the house since she moved back from Hammond. Yeah, I know she could find an hour every day to walk the dog if she really wanted to. She doesn't. What do you want me to say?

She has already been in touch with Rottweiler rescue. They refuse to take a dog that might have heartworms.

It makes me SICK when someone unleashes a volley of insults at a stranger's girlfriend on the internet out of their own sense of self-righteousness. Your comments don't help the situation at all. If you have something helpful to say, say it. Otherwise, politely divert your attention elsewhere and keep your nasty commentary to yourself.

Witness

>Glock
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 4, 2008
    baton rouge
    Not to be an ass, but you're being kind of an ass.

Look, I know the dog is neglected. I want to find a good home for him. The whole story is that my girlfriend used to live with her sister when she was an undergrad. The sister wanted a dog, and so they got the Rottweiler. Not long afterward, the sister basically dumped the entire responsibility off on my girlfriend and now has nothing to do with the dog whatsoever. Her dad won't let him come in the house since she moved back from Hammond. Yeah, I know she could find an hour every day to walk the dog if she really wanted to. She doesn't. What do you want me to say?
    "Step up and take care of your commitment" would be a good start

She has already been in touch with Rottweiler rescue. They refuse to take a dog that might have heartworms.

It makes me SICK when someone unleashes a volley of insults at a stranger's girlfriend on the internet out of their own sense of self-righteousness. Your comments don't help the situation at all. If you have something helpful to say, say it. Otherwise, politely divert your attention elsewhere and keep your nasty commentary to yourself.

You should have just told the truth. All you had to say was she doesn't want the dog.

I've read a million of emails and letters about dogs that need homes. NEVER does someone say "hey I ****ed up, now I really just don't want the dog." You would understand my frustration if you knew what it was like to walk a wonderful loving dog down to the table to be euthanized because somebody refused to pony up and take responsibility. They don't know whats going on, they don't understand why you're walking them into that room. It's a terrible thing. All for what? because someone doesn't want to make a little bit of an effort????

I'll ask around and see if I can find a shelter to take him. I don't have any fosters open right now but if he's good with other dogs then he has a better chance at getting placed.

Oh and in case you were wondering, YES I am always this much of an ass to people with stories such as yours. What is funny about that, no matter how much of an ass hole I am to them, when I offer to take the dog they THANK ME! I feel that there are many reasons why an adult dog would need to be placed into a new home, lack of effort and poor excuses are not on that list. Sadly, most adult dogs are put down

Last edited:

slacker

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    Red Stick
    damn i wish i had a yard, what a great and nice looking dog

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    How old is the dog in this pic? Either this pic is when the dog was around 4 months old or this is NOT a FULL BLOODED Rottweiler. It really doesn't matter since he was neutered anyway. Hope he finds a good home, will make someone a GREAT pet!

gryff.jpg

ReilleysMom32

Drunkie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    NOLA
    Question: If the dog is on heartworm preventative, then why does the dog have heartworms again?

The only way they get them is if the owner is not giving the pills or is giving pills bought online from pet pharmacies, which do not guarantee their products-

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/25536546/Pet-Pharmacy-Secrets
    http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...ave-money-on-your-pets-prescription-medicines

I can't tell you how many clients I see on a WEEKLY basis that say "Oh, Fluffy's on Heartgard/Interceptor/Sentinel that I buy online" and that test comes up POSITIVE every time!!

Every heartworm treatment that a dog goes through causes more damage to the pulmonary arteries (which is where the heartworms live) and makes them at a higher risk for congestive heart failure.

This sounds more like a case of "I don't want to pay for the dog anymore." I work 70 hours a week, go to school full-time, and I still find time to run both of my dogs daily, plus they get their Sentinel and Comfortis every month, without fail (there's a thing called an email reminder, Google Calendar, cell phone alarm, etc. It's amazing with the amount of technology that we're surrounded with to remind us of all the little things). I have to agree with Witness on this; I dare to challenge anyone that claims to have a more booked schedule than I do and "don't have time for the dog."

If you want to do right by this dog, you need to keep contacting the rescue organizations. Don't just stop at one because they said they "won't take the dog because it has heartworms." Go out of state and try to find another rescue. You're not trying hard enough.

CZowner07

XD>Glock but<CZ
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    Saint Martinville/Lafayette
    Question: If the dog is on heartworm preventative, then why does the dog have heartworms again?

The only way they get them is if the owner is not giving the pills or is giving pills bought online from pet pharmacies, which do not guarantee their products-

http://www.docstoc.com/docs/25536546/Pet-Pharmacy-Secrets
    http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-...ave-money-on-your-pets-prescription-medicines

I agree with you on everything else, but this. BOTH of my dogs, a labrador retriever and Jack Russel, were both on Heartgard and BOTH died from heatworks. We did not buy our heartwork pills online, we bought them from the vet. We gave our dogs their heartwork pill faithfully everymonth, and they still died from heartworms. We also brought them to the vet twice a year for their checkups. Our dogs both died within 2 months of each other from heart attacks caused by heartworms. The Lab was 10 and the Jack russel was only 3. I guess this could be a rare case though.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    +1 CZowner07

My vet in St. Martinville said she got dogs in regularly who are on heartgard, etc. with heartworms. I've gone to swine strength ivermectin (ivomec) and dilute down for my dogs.

We got some REAL skeeters down here - and, heartworms aren't a joke.

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville
    +1 CZowner07

My vet in St. Martinville said she got dogs in regularly who are on heartgard, etc. with heartworms. I've gone to swine strength ivermectin (ivomec) and dilute down for my dogs.

We got some REAL skeeters down here - and, heartworms aren't a joke.

Ivomec is best, just give it full strength, 1/10cc per 10lbs. ONCE A MONTH! This will keep them healthy for heart worms. Check with your vet about this dog, I think if you dilute full strength down to 25% then give 1/10cc per 10 lbs twice a week for 2 months should clear any traces of the heart worms then revert back to full strength as noted above.

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    The dog has been on heartworm medication without fail. And yet the vet still says he tested "light positive." I know people who have had dogs test "light positive" and not have heartworms, or at least live for 10 more years heartworms or not.

I'm pretty sure based on the other responses here and personal experience that all this heartworm stuff is mostly a scam to make money. They probably say all the ******* dogs test "light positive" just to sell pills.

Anyway, we found multiple friends of hers that are willing to take the dog, so consider this thread closed. I don't want to hear anymore pointless insulting of my girlfriend or self righteous anecdotes about how many hours anyone works and still finds time for the dog. This is why I hate forums. Every tiny morsel of helpful advice has to be washed down with a tall glass of pretentious derision.

jesse

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Mandeville
    Man, that's a lot of ball busting for someone trying to do right by a dog. Get a life people.

As for the pet meds, people wouldn't go to petmeds.com and other online pharmacies if the Vets weren't trying to take people to the cleaners on everything they sell retail.

BTW, to all you military folks out there, most all bases sell Pet Drugs at about half of what you pay at the vet. Also, most have vet services a few days a month for very reasonable rates. Sometimes this isn't very well known or advertised, but it's a good deal for those trying to save some green.

ReilleysMom32

Drunkie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2008
    NOLA
    http://www.heartwormsociety.org/
    Not ********.

And for y'alls useless knowledge banks, veterinarians only charge 25% over cost for heartworm preventative because it's such a prevalent disease down here

Ivermectin dosages?
    http://www.veterinarypartner.com
    Courtesy of Veterinary Information Network and Veterinary Partner:

"Use of Large Animal Products

It is neither safe nor legal to obtain large animal ivermectin products for use in dogs for heartworm prevention. Discussions of doses have circulated around the Internet and in other sources advocating the use of highly concentrated ivermectin formulas for heartworm prevention in dogs. These doses are not comparable to the miniscule doses in licensed heartworm preventive products and using them represents an element of gambling. Large animal ivermectin products are vastly more concentrated than those meant for dogs and it becomes problematic to dilute them properly. Even small doses of these products are unnecessarily high and if they are inadvertently given to a sensitive individual death can result. "

Status
    Please reply by conversation.
    You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom