Refinishing an old door - Metairie/New Orleans area

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    Hey y'all, looking for some advice or recommendations

The front door on my mother's house is getting rather old and funky, and before I let her spend a few hundred bucks on a completely new door, I suggested she just get it refinished. I started to sand it down myself but really this is above my head and I don't want it to look like crap.

Anyway, does anyone know of somebody/some company that can refinish a front door, and about how much something like that would cost? I think it needs to be completely sanded down, re-stained and sealed.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans
    If the door is flat with no other millwork, you should be able to do it yourself with a belt sander in no time at all. Just test it for lead first if the door is really old.

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    Unfortunately (for me) it's a door that has millwork and a glass window. If it was a flat door I'd take a chance :)

It's really not that hard. I did mine when it was new, and again a few months ago, after 5 years of weathering. Those foam samding blocks that contour themselves to odd shapes will get you around any millwork. Wipe it down with a tack cloth, stain (2-3 coats depending on your color), then as many coats of Spar Urethane as you can put.(I put 4 coats this last time since the door gets full sun for 6-7 hours a day.

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I do around 20 a year, post a pic and I will tell you what it should cost and can tell you the best (and easiest) way to strip it down.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    By the time you pay to have it professionally stripped and refinished (stained), you could have bought a new door. Easily several hundred bucks. Usually this is only done with old, nice doors or a custom opening size there's no cheap replacement for.

Like Dave said, it's not that hard. Really the stripping/sanding is the hard part. Chemical stripper might make the job easier for ya.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    I do around 20 a year, post a pic and I will tell you what it should cost and can tell you the best (and easiest) way to strip it down.

That's what I was thinking - strip it down thoroughly first (I've use Kutzit) maybe once or twice, follow after drying with fine sandpaper. That's what I do with solid wood furniture - doors shouldn't be that much different.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    thanks for the input guys. If it was something that a hundred bucks or so would cover than it would have made sense to pay someone. It's a fairly attractive and solid door, so IMO it's worth saving. I'll just have to take some time and sand this thang down right :)

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    I always use the gel type stripper from HD or Lowes. The trick is to use a small wire brush with the fine bristles on the detail work. You really have to be careful that you dont mess up the wood with too stiff of a brush ( brass works well). Put a coat and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and wire brush it, it will dry it out and eventually start to sand it. On a 36" door to strip and stain takes me from 2.5-5 hours. Get some Sikkens clear and your choice stain from Helm Paint. Stain it and come back with a clear coat in a few hours, sand the clear with some 220 and recoat 2 more times. This will last for a while depending on how much sun it gets.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I was thinking gunkote a base brown, then go over with a laundry bag with a mix of green and black... Should have it done in about an hour.

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I always use the gel type stripper from HD or Lowes. The trick is to use a small wire brush with the fine bristles on the detail work. You really have to be careful that you dont mess up the wood with too stiff of a brush ( brass works well). Put a coat and let it sit for 5-10 minutes and wire brush it, it will dry it out and eventually start to sand it. On a 36" door to strip and stain takes me from 2.5-5 hours. Get some Sikkens clear and your choice stain from Helm Paint. Stain it and come back with a clear coat in a few hours, sand the clear with some 220 and recoat 2 more times. This will last for a while depending on how much sun it gets.

Does the sand after the clear help the next layers of clear adhere? Or just a better overall finish? Either way it doesn't sound like a bad idea :)

I told her I'd do it, so now I'm hooked :o So hopefully within a week she'll have a good looking front door again :)

JadeRaven

Oh Snap
    Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Metairie
    I was thinking gunkote a base brown, then go over with a laundry bag with a mix of green and black... Should have it done in about an hour.

Haha, she asked if I was just going to paint over it, which I pondered for a second, and I said naah I'm gonna do it the right way. :D

XDguy

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Lacombe
    WHen you strip the door it raises the wood fibers so when the first coat of clear dries it will have a rough feeling so you smooth it out with a fine grit paper, after this sanding is not necessary. A random orbital sander can be used on the flat parts of the door, dont use anything heavier than 100 grit and finish it off with at least 180 grit or there will be swirl marks. Do not use any products from home depot or lowes to finish it, I promise if it gets any weather or sun it wont last a year.

XD-GEM

XD-GEM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    New Orleans

This stuff works well, but do small areas at a time and be sure to keep out of the sun.

mprice

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    Breaux Bridge, LA
    WHen you strip the door it raises the wood fibers so when the first coat of clear dries it will have a rough feeling so you smooth it out with a fine grit paper, after this sanding is not necessary. A random orbital sander can be used on the flat parts of the door, dont use anything heavier than 100 grit and finish it off with at least 180 grit or there will be swirl marks. Do not use any products from home depot or lowes to finish it, I promise if it gets any weather or sun it wont last a year.

+1

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Deb Mev
    Top Bottom