Open carry Baton Rouge CITY limits?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • chopit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Can you open carry in the CITY limits of Baton Rouge? Someone I work with is telling me it is a city ordinance that you can NOT open carry.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    No ordinance against it EXCEPT IN A BREC PARK. There is a city ordinance against firearms in a BREC park period. Its been on the books forever so it passes consitutional muster.

chopit

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 17, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I can find state and parish law but I can't find city. He is telling me city supersedes parish law and it is illeagal in baton rouge city.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    No ordinance against it EXCEPT IN A BREC PARK. There is a city ordinance against firearms in a BREC park period. Its been on the books forever so it passes consitutional muster.

As he said Baton Rouge City Code Section 13:1011 forbids carrying any firearm in any City Park.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area

So if a law has been on the books for ever, then it passes constitutional muster? I bet the cops and lawyers on this site would say it takes more that that to pass constitutional muster.

For the record, I am not saying the law is unconstitutional. I am just saying time on the "books" is not a good measure stick.

To get a true answer, call your local police or prosecuting attorney.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    So if a law has been on the books for ever, then it passes constitutional muster? I bet the cops and lawyers on this site would say it takes more that that to pass constitutional muster.

For the record, I am not saying the law is unconstitutional. I am just saying time on the "books" is not a good measure stick.

:rofl: Very true....There's probably still a few local laws on the books somewhere that says it's legal to burn a suspected witch!
    20326.jpg

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I can find state and parish law but I can't find city. He is telling me city supersedes parish law and it is illeagal in baton rouge city.

Don't waste your time looking tell him to show you. :D

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    :rofl: Very true....There's probably still a few local laws on the books somewhere that says it's legal to burn a suspected witch!
    20326.jpg

I'd "burn" her three times, take a shower and eat a sandwich, then "burn" her again. I'm just sayin'.....

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly

NO but there is a clause in the latest version of the LA constitution that says that no local government may pass laws resricting the right to keep and bear arms, unless that law was already on the books before this latest constitution which was passed in the 70's. Baton Rouges's Brec Park Ordinance passes constitutional muster because its been on the books since the 50's or earlier which is what I was refering to and most OC'rs on this board understand. Even the great MEM knows this and while he has complained about it, has not had one of his "Freedumb marches/rides" cause he knows he'll loose it in court. SO time on the books in this case is a good measuring stick.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    BR is a city/parish so the city/parish ordinances apply all over, including brec parts outside of the city limits. BRPD can only enforce inside city limits still. I gave up trying to figure it all out and just deal with it.

Examples of dumb ones: parking on the grass in front of your residence, fireworks, etc.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I'd "burn" her three times, take a shower and eat a sandwich, then "burn" her again. I'm just sayin'.....

Must be nice to be young and able to do that. I remember those days fondly. These days I'd be lucky if I could burn her 3 times in a week. I'd probably catch a leg cramp halfway through the first burn, have my herniated disk in my back go out during the second burn and by the third burn she may end up riding a limp broom. Then I'd just want to sleep the rest of the time. Oh to be young again. That reminds me, I have to take my high blood pressure medicine, my acid reflux pill and my multi vitimin then eat my oatmeal before my nap time gets here. See ya later.

Duck Jenkins

Lone Wolf
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2010
    NO/LA Area
    NO but there is a clause in the latest version of the LA constitution that says that no local government may pass laws resricting the right to keep and bear arms, unless that law was already on the books before this latest constitution which was passed in the 70's. Baton Rouges's Brec Park Ordinance passes constitutional muster because its been on the books since the 50's or earlier which is what I was refering to and most OC'rs on this board understand. Even the great MEM knows this and while he has complained about it, has not had one of his "Freedumb marches/rides" cause he knows he'll loose it in court. SO time on the books in this case is a good measuring stick.

I do not agree. Is there a law for vagrancy or vagrants still on books? I am just asking. IF, according to you, time on the books counted for anything, then the courts would not need to hear any cases about any constitutional issues, with any law that has been on the books since "70's"

So, again, time on the books is not a good measuring stick. I did not know about the clause you quoted above, thanks for the info, but that just states that no further local laws can be passed. It did not say.....hence forth, all previous passed laws are constitutional. If you can cite me one case where the constitutionality of this law has been tried and passed, then I would say your statement carries some weight but not necessarily your reasoning.

Your measuring stick is limp.

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I do not agree. Is there a law for vagrancy or vagrants still on books? I am just asking. IF, according to you, time on the books counted for anything, then the courts would not need to hear any cases about any constitutional issues, with any law that has been on the books since "70's"

So, again, time on the books is not a good measuring stick. I did not know about the clause you quoted above, thanks for the info, but that just states that no further local laws can be passed. It did not say.....hence forth, all previous passed laws are constitutional. If you can cite me one case where the constitutionality of this law has been tried and passed, then I would say your statement carries some weight but not necessarily your reasoning.

Your measuring stick is limp.

Go OC in a Brec Park then, call BRPD when you do it, call the media and your lawyer, we'll see years down the road what happens. The ordinances themselves have been challenged, and have stood up to judicial muster.

Yale, Louisiana Carry, could you please explain what I am trying to say to this to this guy. You can cite specific laws and clauses I'm refering to I'm sure.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ChefBQ
    Top Bottom