Ak bullpup stock kit

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Picked up the kvar stock kit from sportsmans guide and it came in today. Missing small parts and the instructions. Not to be deterred by a minor setback like that I got to work. I have a feeling with a little fine tuning and some modifications it will fit and function fine.

A few things I noticed.

- Trigger guard is a bit small, and the edges are sharp. Plenty of material so I will radius the edges and open it up slightly.
    - Rear stock fits loosely (compared to a hammer fit east german plastic stock...) should be able to adjust that with a little fiddling, looks good and feels good when shouldering.
    - Front grip piece will need to be shortened slightly to fit, might be that my assembly is a bit off, but the stock parts fir fine. A file and some sandpaper will cure this.
    - You have to tap a hole to fit the rear sight base. I plan to use a rail adapter there to mount a 552 clone so no big deal. The rear sight is also windage adjustable and has an A2 style setup, but not exactly.

I plan to use this gun to proto a forward charging handle, that does not reciprocate. Have some ideas and will get it to work. Having the handle so far back is a pain now, and I would like to add a slot to have a bolt hold open feature.

All in all not a bad kit, plastic is very strong and quite well molded. A little cleanup and maybe some sort of camo/stripey paint job will add some interest and make it look more uniform.

Will get some pics up tomorrow.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Did some more fitting and got the lower/pistol grip assy on properly. Also replace the gas tube cover with the one in the kit, had to fit it as well. The forward handguard that bolts around the gas block is not that great. Thinking it will be replaced with a clamp on rail and a vertical grip, like the ones that are popular on ar rifles.

This barrel clamp with rail: link placed between the gas block and the front sight mount, with the rail pointed down so the grip can attach.

Might remove the front sight tower completely and ditch the iron sights. Plan to have the forward charging handle assy have a rail on it that runs on the top from the rear sight base to the gas block, and use a red dot or something.

I know i need pics, will get them up tomorrow.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Did some more fitting and got the lower/pistol grip assy on properly. Also replace the gas tube cover with the one in the kit, had to fit it as well. The forward handguard that bolts around the gas block is not that great. Thinking it will be replaced with a clamp on rail and a vertical grip, like the ones that are popular on ar rifles.

This barrel clamp with rail: link placed between the gas block and the front sight mount, with the rail pointed down so the grip can attach.

Might remove the front sight tower completely and ditch the iron sights. Plan to have the forward charging handle assy have a rail on it that runs on the top from the rear sight base to the gas block, and use a red dot or something.

I know i need pics, will get them up tomorrow.

Ditch the iron sights!
    Bullpup004.jpg

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Ditch the iron sights!
    Bullpup004.jpg

Damm u got some welding skills LOL, its what I wanted to build when I had my Century BullPup but I could never find a replacement part for the back sight that just had a rail, I tried to top cover rail but it was too close to the face, I like the mag area too.

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Nice, I like the forward grip. Is it a 223 ak? Or are you using ar mags for a different caliber? Maybe 5.45x39?

I plan to ditch the irons and go with a rail above the gas tube to mount an optic of some type. Also did some thinking about the forward charging handle and how to make it not reciprocate with the bolt. Will use a fal l1a1 style folding handle that atches to keep it in place. Got it mostly figured out, just need to mock up a rail section about the tube and figure out a mounting method.

Heres a few pics of mine, still a work in progress. Had SSG send me another kit, hope this one has all of the parts, as the 1st was missing some hardware, etc...

DSCF4376.jpg

DSCF4378.jpg

DSCF4377.jpg

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom