SBR - Is it worth it?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NutriaKiller

Certified Rat Killa
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Hey guys, I'm in the process of getting my AK built and I made the decision to go with a 10"sbr. As I was reading some of the posts regarding registering/transfer etc... of a SBR I'm starting to wonder. Is it really worth the pain in the ass to do this? Should I just say screw it and go with a 16"? If I were to go with a 10", I will probably end up with a supressor as well in the end game.
    Things to consider:
    I'm not worried about the time constraints.
    I would probably use the AK to shoot hogs and big rats called Nutria, is it legal to hunt with a SBR or SBR/Silencer?
    Do I have to worry about transporting the rifle out of my home parish? What about the state?
    Does it make it that much harder to re-sell the rifle when/if I decide to do that?

Preciate the info/advice...

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    I'll help with the questions I know the answer to.

You can transport it to any NFA friendly state and to any parish no problem.

Last edited:

Manimal

Get'n Duffy!
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    May 27, 2007
    Louisiana
    It is NOT legal to hunt with a Suppressor in La, fairly certain that I have read that before.

No idea about SBR, but frankly...I wouldn't hunt with either of those things.

Why would someone hunt Hogs with a suppressed SBR? No offence, but that probably isnt going to kill a hog with any kind of efficiency and its likely to cause them to suffer greatly due to innaccurate shots of the SBR and poor penetration due to low velocity from the suppressor.

If you just like to kill stuff b/c its fun, I guess it might float your boat but if you're actually Conservationist or a Sportsman you'll reconsider hunting with that outfit.

A full AK is great to hunt with...hell, a AK SBR might be OK to hunt with(I have an 11" barrel pistol that I plan on doing short range, 75yd-less, hunting with)...but a Suppressed SBR AK on hogs? I don't think thats worth a ****, personally.

Fine on Nutria though.

NutriaKiller

Certified Rat Killa
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Ok, so let's just stick with the SBR then and worry about the supressor later. Is my accuracy really affected that much that I need to worry about it? My max shot will never be more than 150yards. I'm lucky if I can see it that far much less hit it.

The sbr is really starting to sound like it's more trouble than it's worth. I could put the money into other places than that $200 tax stamp.

NutriaKiller

Certified Rat Killa
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Yeah looks like I'm screwed 50+yards. Spanky have you done both? Does anyone have a 10" and a 16" ak? I just wish I could put my hands on one of each so I can make up my friggin mind.

George

Don't tase me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Denham springs
    tanakaqi5.jpg

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    It is NOT legal to hunt with a Suppressor in La, fairly certain that I have read that before.

http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/pdfs/hunting/LA%20Hunt07.pdf

No person shall take or kill any game bird or wild quadruped with a firearm fitted with any device to deaden
    or silence the sound of the discharge thereof; or fitted with an infrared sight, electrically operated sight or
    device specifically designed to enhance vision at night {R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}.

Psychic Bacon

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 17, 2007
    Ponchatoula, LA
    http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/pdfs/hunting/LA%20Hunt07.pdf

No person shall take or kill any game bird or wild quadruped with a firearm fitted with any device to deaden
    or silence the sound of the discharge thereof; or fitted with an infrared sight, electrically operated sight or
    device specifically designed to enhance vision at night {R.S. 56:116.1B(3)}.

Just out of curiosity, does this mean EOtechs are no good for hunting?

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    It says electrically operated sight, therefore any electrically operated sight is banned. Now if someone is charged and wants them to more clearly define it then maybe so. But it reads electrically operated sight.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    ksgunner82
    Top Bottom