3 Officers Involved in Shooting at Summerlin Costco

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I want to freaking PUKE! Read the coments please. Especially the eye witness:

Bystander 12 hours ago in reply to guest

I couldn't agree with you more....My wife and I were 7 or 8 feet away from the shooting as were the police. We were to the suspects immediate right. We heard and saw the 3 police officers shouting to the man in question to 'get on your knees' several times. At that point the man appeared somewhat stunned by the commotion and shouting of the police. His Right arm went up in a defenseless position and it appeared his left arm appeared to be going up but there was NO gun in his hand. He was taserd and shot at the same time. At no time did the man in question ever raise his voice, shout an obscenity or become confrontational with the police. We saw the disabled man stooping to his right facing us with what appeared to be a bullet wound in his upper chest with blood coming from the wound and immediately his eyes became glossy as he began to convulse. At this point he was no threat to anyone, both hands were in full view of us and there was no gun. As he was down, the police continued to shout 'put the gun down' several times...but there was no gun in his hand as we had full vantage point view. The injured man was having agonal respirations, he was down when the second volly of bullets rang out. There was no doubt in question that following the second barrage of bullets the man was dead. His girlfriend was to the back side of us and began to scream.....why did you kill him, he is a military man with a license to carry a concealed weapon. You didn't need to kill him....you didn't need to kill him.
    An officer then came up to the injured man who in my opinion was a 'dead' man', was cuffed with his hands behind his back and no attempt by the officer to determine if the man was alive or dead. No apparent life saving aid was given to the 'downed' man. The man was totally lifeless when the Paramedics arrived on scene. I was absolutely surprised to see that no attempt at aggressive ACLS was engaged. They simply just picked up the body like a 'sack of potatoes' and hurled him onto the gurney and into the ambulance This was a crime scene.... the crime scene was violated. One of the paramedics who attended to an injured elderly lady said the man was dead. There was a dead man in front of Costco. What nobody is talking about is that there were many many spectators, many like ourselves within just a few feet of the victim when the shots rang out. It seems to me that the greater danger was posed not by the victim but by the police who fired many shots in the vicinity of the innocent public. I agree with you, I hope the media and your friends family can get their hands of Costco's Camera's which will indeed tell the rest of the story. Also it must be confirmed whether the second gun supposedly found by the victims side was indeed also registered to him as a licensed conceal and carry.
    This whole incident was a monumental tragedy; a tragedy for the family and friend and also a tragedy for the involved officers who were pushed into a needless confrontation that reached hysterical proportions due to the overreaction of certain employees and bystanders. This was a needless death.

In summary it is our opinion that the victim did not pose an immediate threat to the public.....and in the final analysis was a case of excessive force

I am physically ill my friends...

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I have to quit reading the comments before I have a stroke or my head explodes. All I want at this point is for to be video and it to be made public.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    No, several. a few say he was reaching for a gun but I find it strange that those folks ALL seem to be gun haters. NO ONE saw him with a gun in hand (that I read) as per the cop's report. at the least it is fishy. Like I said. I want to see video. You can't trust the eye wittinesses if what they posted is to be believed.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    some more comments say that he did have his permit and at no time would he have pulled it..

comments go on to say he was >mil and medical>

Sad Day... I think.. bad shoot.. we will see.. I bet it goes down as justified..

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I hate to say it but after my 1st hand personal experience and the research I have done and what I have learned through the groups I have been associated with, I no longer implicitly trust the police. In fact, it is now just the opposite. I fear and distrust them. I WILL call them and report crime when I see it but I will also cover my @ss in ANY dealings I have with them and that's a damned shame.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    From what I'm reading, he might have gotten "made" by one of the employees and asked to leave.
    There was an "argument" b/w the man and management.

Some witnesses same he had his hands in the air.
    Some witnesses say he lifted up his shirt.
    Some witnesses he was looked like he was reaching for something, but didn't have anything in his hand.
    The Captain said he drew his handgun from his waist.

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12785374
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jul/10/police-investigate-shooting/
    http://www.lvrj.com/news/armed-man-shot--killed-by-police-at-costco-98171839.html

:)

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    you guys are amazing. You have no idea what happened, and even less idea what you are talking about. Have you ever dealt with someone who had a gun or you thought had a gun? No, so you have no idea what it looks like from that perspective. You read a news article and suddenly have an opinion.

i have been in those officers place more times than I could ever count. many times, the guy did have a gun and we would have been 100% justified in shooting, but that is not how it played out.

How nice it must be to pass judgment when you are completely ignorant of the facts in an incident or even the academic concepts surrounding one of it's same nature.

Unlike many of you, i am not saying the cops were right or wrong. However, i find it hard to believ that three cops woke up that morning and conspired to kill an innocent person. I find it much more believeable based on my personal experience, that the guy made a move or had something in his hands, and the officers acted in self-defense.

They probably received a call that he had a gun, and then he did not immediately comply, and made a move that made the officers fear for their lives.

that seems much more plausible.

It never ceases to amaze me the stupidity some people will stoop to. I mean really, don't you think cops will do everything in their power not to kill someone, if for no other reason than they know they will get sued whether they are right or wrong?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I hate to say it but after my 1st hand personal experience and the research I have done and what I have learned through the groups I have been associated with, I no longer implicitly trust the police. In fact, it is now just the opposite. I fear and distrust them. I WILL call them and report crime when I see it but I will also cover my @ss in ANY dealings I have with them and that's a damned shame.

Your pathetic. However you will call them when needed.

Again..amazing.

Have fun with your leo bashing...this one will be a good one.:rolleyes:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I haven't blamed the cops. I do think it looks real bad for them given what I read. It IS very upsetting and I had the feelings I have toward cops I don't personally know long before this thread so I retract nothing. I repeat; I want to see video. There is many fishy things about this that are unresolved. So far ALL the witnesses, police excepted, never saw a gun in hand yet that is what the police reported and are standing by. Until I see video I will withhold judgment.

As to knowing what I am talking about, I can read,I can comprehend and I HAVE been the position where I had to chose weather to take the shot more than once. In both cases I held fire. LEGALLY I could have shot and killed the perp in both cases. Please be careful when painting with such a large brush yourself, or at least direct your fire a bit more accurately.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Your pathetic. However you will call them when needed.

Again..amazing.

Have fun with your leo bashing...this one will be a good one.:rolleyes:

Would you prefer I break the law and not report crime or become a vigilante? Reality check time. Reread EXACTLY what I wrote. I am not bashing cops. I am saying I distrust them because I have been burned unjustly in the past and I know it was not a rare or isolated incident. Please do not put words in my mouth.

I am done with this thread diversion. Until there is more and credible info about this case, hopefully video, I will simply be watching. Please calm down and do the same.

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    From what I'm reading, he might have gotten "made" by one of the employees and asked to leave.
    There was an "argument" b/w the man and management.

Some witnesses same he had his hands in the air.
    Some witnesses say he lifted up his shirt.
    Some witnesses he was looked like he was reaching for something, but didn't have anything in his hand.
    The Captain said he drew his handgun from his waist.

http://www.ktnv.com/Global/story.asp?S=12785374
    http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2010/jul/10/police-investigate-shooting/
    http://www.lvrj.com/news/armed-man-shot--killed-by-police-at-costco-98171839.html

:)
    Witnesses? Are you really going to call people posting anonymously to an internet site a "witness"? Don't get me wrong, if the people posting are indeed witnesses and make sworn statements, then there might be something to their claims. I just find it very naive to point to internet posts as witness statements.

Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    Witnesses? Are you really going to call people posting anonymously to an internet site a "witness"? Don't get me wrong, if the people posting are indeed witnesses and make sworn statements, then there might be something to their claims. I just find it very naive to point to internet posts as witness statements.
    Watch the vids and read the articles, not the post in the comments section.

The Captain didn't make a post in the comments.:mamoru:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I have been in the situation and I have killed, However I also know the TBL that vegas has and they are not like the cops here, and I would dare say not like any others I have met..

I agree that they do not wake up looking to get into a shooting or to take anyone's life at any point on their career.. However I also know that in the moment they are amped up and he likely didnt move fast enough for their comfort..

AS I stated above I be it goes down as justified.. However I have to say too that I cover my ass when dealing with authorities as a whole.. LEO'S focus on the negative and everyone is a suspect or has something to hide.. and that is why I agreed with SPEED.

So you are a police officer who has killed in the line of duty?

parallel

Often Beside Himself
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    LaPlace, Louisiana
    Watch the vids and read the articles, not the post in the comments section.

The Captain didn't make a post in the comments.:mamoru:
    What is your point? They are still not making a sworn statement by talking to a reporter. Also, what's with the Captain giggly thing... I never said anything about him.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom