Legal definition of "CONCEALED" ???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I've heard too many opinions and would like some facts...

What is the legal definition of "concealed" as it pertains to firearms and/or knives?

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Not the legal definition but no part of a concealed gun can not be seen, It is not visible.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Hide a firearm from others vision

and it cannot show a print in many states, since thats considered brandishing.

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    If 1% is visible then it isn't concealed, right?

Even if that 1%, in itself, gives no obvious sign that it is part of a gun?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    If 1% is visible then it isn't concealed, right?

Even if that 1%, in itself, gives no obvious sign that it is part of a gun?

What are you getting at? I think you are thinking about it wrong. It's more about intent than percentages. If your INTENT is to hide or conceal the gun, then it is "concealed" for legal purposes.

If you are asking in terms of legally carrying concealed, then the goal is 100% concealment. Technically, anything less is could be considered "negligent carrying."

LRS 40:1382
    §1382. Negligent carrying of a concealed handgun
    A. Negligent carrying of a concealed handgun is the intentional or criminally negligent carrying by any person, whether or not authorized or licensed to carry or possess a concealed handgun, under the following circumstances:
    (1) When it is foreseeable that the handgun may discharge, or when others are placed in reasonable apprehension that the handgun may discharge.
    (2) When the handgun is being carried, brandished, or displayed under circumstances that create a reasonable apprehension on the part of members of the public

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    i have seen people shove SBRs and ARs into differend cases (one was a SBR AR in a tennis racket case with a magazine inserted)

does this fall under the concealed carry issue since it isnt a handgun? is it even legal?

OneStory

Warrior in God's Army
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2010
    Wandering
    I've taken to carrying gun and knife with just a clip showing.
    My untucked and unbuttoned shirt only reveals those clips from certain angles.
    If you are really looking and know what to look for, you might figure it out.
    Legally, I'm not carrying concealed. Therefore, I am carrying open, right?

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    To my knowledge, concealing long arms is illegal. Louisiana has concealed handgun permits. However, some states have concealed weapons permits.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I've taken to carrying gun and knife with just a clip showing.
    My untucked and unbuttoned shirt only reveals those clips from certain angles.
    If you are really looking and know what to look for, you might figure it out.
    Legally, I'm not carrying concealed. Therefore, I am carrying open, right?

Show a picture. However it sounds like from most standards you would be concealing.

It will depend n the circumstances and your intent. There is no legal definition other than what was already provided.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    My understanding is that it must be recognizable as a gun from 3 angles. Example: If on your right side, it would have to be visible AND identifiable as a gun from your front, gun side and rear. Holsters, even the old military flap type are NOT counted a concealment if they are readily identifiable as holsters is my understanding. I would have to find the exact sites to be 100% sure on this but I am sure I am REAL close.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    My understanding is that it must be recognizable as a gun from 3 angles. Example: If on your right side, it would have to be visible AND identifiable as a gun from your front, gun side and rear. Holsters, even the old military flap type are NOT counted a concealment if they are readily identifiable as holsters is my understanding. I would have to find the exact sites to be 100% sure on this but I am sure I am REAL close.

Once again....your understanding is wrong. Please quote anywhere in LA Law where the phrase "three angles" is used.

Please do not "I think" information. That is how people go to jail. If you do not have statute, then please reserve your "opinion". There are plenty of people on here who actually do know what they are talking about.

Sometimes I am one of them.:D

The only legal reference to concealment has already been posted.\

Also, while a great resource, www.louisianacarry.org is a private site. When seeking legal advice or "answers" one should always refer to the official state police website.

However, out local HERO, is correct in that a holster alone does not qualify as concealment. It has to be concealed on ones person such as inside a waistband with a shirt over....as listed in the statute already provided.

FYI. the knife would probably not be considered a concealed weapon as defined in RS 14:95 under normal circumstances. However, if you have something like a Keltec P3AT with the clip on it, clipped inside of your pocket waistband where it cannot be seen, then yes, that would be considered a concealed firearm.

there are no knife laws in LA except for automatic knives.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    What are you getting at? I think you are thinking about it wrong. It's more about intent than percentages. If your INTENT is to hide or conceal the gun, then it is "concealed" for legal purposes.

This.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom