BayouShooter Ad Available
LSA
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mushroom Hunting in Southern Louisiana

Mushroom Hunting in Southern Louisiana

Going to be spending a couple days at Lake Fausse State Park this weekend, and while there, might end up hiking with folks a bit. Made me think... I used to mushroom hunt from time to time during the wetter seasons in Missouri, when I still lived there. What is mushroom hunting like around these parts?

I'm about to see what Google turns up for me, as well as checking out the State Agri sites for some mushroom guides. I'm sure Wildlife & Fisheries has a State specific mushroom guide... Missouri Conservation dept. always did, anyways.

Thought I'd get some 'local' opinions/experience though, and couldn't find any other threads, here, about it, really.

Are there better seasons for it?
    What are the more popular -edible- mushrooms to find?
    Think Lake Fausse is even a decent spot for finding anything?

Stick with a pellet rifle or .22LR, anything larger will just blow them to shit.

Marksman

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeedRacer View Post
    Stick with a pellet rifle or .22LR, anything larger will just blow them to shit.

Instructor
    Site Sponsor
    I think the most popular that people hunt in south LA grow in cow poo
    Defensive Firearms Training and CHP Certification
    www.BearcoTraining.com
    Facebook.com/bearco

Instructor
    Site Sponsor
    run a search for "Louisiana" over here at http://www.shroomery.org/forums/search.php under mushroom hunting and identification. There seems to be a good bit on info.
    Defensive Firearms Training and CHP Certification
    www.BearcoTraining.com
    Facebook.com/bearco

tactical hangover

Premium Member
    Ahh nothing like a good morel in southern illinois in the spring time though.,

Funny about the pellet rifle..

Quote Originally Posted by themcfarland View Post
    Ahh nothing like a good morel in southern illinois in the spring time though.,

Funny about the pellet rifle..
    Yea, when I awws still in Central Missouri, we most often focused on morels.

I think .22lr is a good choice. It'll give me a chance to practice with my new irons, and the ammo is light enough to not bother me while hiking. (wasn't sure if I should have put the topic here, or not, but it seemed to make the most sense)

Thanks for the link, BearIT, that site has turned up some good stuff. Couldn't find anything in my look around the LA Wildlife and Fisheries, but I may not be looking in the right places... though maybe not quite the mushrooms I was looking for Unless I'm just finding only hallucinogenic hits on the site. I'm looking elsewhere though.
    Last edited by James Cannon; July 15th, 2010 at 08:27 AM.

I get mine from the glassy eyed guy that hangs out behind the Ra Shop (lol)
    "Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience."

The Zebra

Premium Member
    Can someone please explain hunting for a mushroom. I thought only teenagers did this in cow pastures.

lots of oyster mushrooms at the lake. Check the willow trees. Not sure bout any other kinds though.

Big John

Premium Member
    Willow and Gum trees
    John

tactical hangover

Premium Member
    be wery , wery quiet, I am hunting.. WTF was that, omg.. zing zow.. did you see the size of that chicken!!

wrong mushrooms.. there buddy..

Psalms 27: 1-3

Premium Member
    From what I hear, a lot of guys go to daulphine st in new Orleans...
    Great signature line.

Marksman
    Be sure you do not bag over the limit!!!!!!!!! The mushroom police will get you!!!

Banned
    I've had awesome oyster shrooms from a trusted source and he said willow. But I didn't see them harvested so I'm not about to go find my own. Would love to tromp through the woods with someone knowledgeable though. I bet there is quite a bit out there we don't use.

I had a kid that lived by me that used to hunt them in my neighbor's pasture. I would ask him about it but between the dope, mushrooms and booze he's no longer with us. He crashed his truck driving like a dumbass and is now dead.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    The problems we face today are
    there because the people who work
    for a living are outnumbered by those
    who vote for a living.

Quote Originally Posted by jgreco15 View Post
    Can someone please explain hunting for a mushroom. I thought only teenagers did this in cow pastures.
    Just like hunting animals, food comes from nature.

It's a relaxing 'treasure hunt' sort of. Mushrooms grow in nature. You gotta know which ones are edible and inedible... and amongst the edible, you need to know which ones are worth eating.

There are certain conditions and locations that mushrooms tend to like to grow, so your best bet is to learn those conditions for the mushrooms you like, and seek it out, and hope for luck, and a full bag when you're done.

Banned
    By "worth eating", I hope you mean the ones that don't make you see blue crocodiles and falling rainbow candy sprinkles in the shower .

Stupid is 'posed to hurt scooterj's Avatar
    I've always harvested in the fall on a foggy morning. Dead, fallen willow trees is where I get mine.
    USPSA: TY-28619
    ICORE: LA1484
    Team Freedom GunWorks
    www.freedomgunworks.com
    You can't fix stupid and you can't teach common sense!

I've got 2 neighbors (anydody who's been to my house will understand) who spend a LOT of time digging through cow poo. They look like zombies

It's not how you shoot, it's how you look!!!
    www.plate-tacular.com

Member of Team Freedom Gunworks
    www.freedomgunworks.com