Mushroom Hunting in Southern Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Going to be spending a couple days at Lake Fausse State Park this weekend, and while there, might end up hiking with folks a bit. Made me think... I used to mushroom hunt from time to time during the wetter seasons in Missouri, when I still lived there. What is mushroom hunting like around these parts?

I'm about to see what Google turns up for me, as well as checking out the State Agri sites for some mushroom guides. I'm sure Wildlife & Fisheries has a State specific mushroom guide... Missouri Conservation dept. always did, anyways.

Thought I'd get some 'local' opinions/experience though, and couldn't find any other threads, here, about it, really.

Are there better seasons for it?
    What are the more popular -edible- mushrooms to find?
    Think Lake Fausse is even a decent spot for finding anything?

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Ahh nothing like a good morel in southern illinois in the spring time though.,

Funny about the pellet rifle..

Yea, when I awws still in Central Missouri, we most often focused on morels.

I think .22lr is a good choice. It'll give me a chance to practice with my new irons, and the ammo is light enough to not bother me while hiking. :rofl: (wasn't sure if I should have put the topic here, or not, but it seemed to make the most sense)

Thanks for the link, BearIT, that site has turned up some good stuff. Couldn't find anything in my look around the LA Wildlife and Fisheries, but I may not be looking in the right places... though maybe not quite the mushrooms I was looking for ;) Unless I'm just finding only hallucinogenic hits on the site. I'm looking elsewhere though.

Last edited:

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    lots of oyster mushrooms at the lake. Check the willow trees. Not sure bout any other kinds though.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I've had awesome oyster shrooms from a trusted source and he said willow. But I didn't see them harvested so I'm not about to go find my own. Would love to tromp through the woods with someone knowledgeable though. I bet there is quite a bit out there we don't use.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I had a kid that lived by me that used to hunt them in my neighbor's pasture. I would ask him about it but between the dope, mushrooms and booze he's no longer with us. He crashed his truck driving like a dumbass and is now dead.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Can someone please explain hunting for a mushroom. I thought only teenagers did this in cow pastures.

Just like hunting animals, food comes from nature.

It's a relaxing 'treasure hunt' sort of. Mushrooms grow in nature. You gotta know which ones are edible and inedible... and amongst the edible, you need to know which ones are worth eating.

There are certain conditions and locations that mushrooms tend to like to grow, so your best bet is to learn those conditions for the mushrooms you like, and seek it out, and hope for luck, and a full bag when you're done.

dmh

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    I've got 2 neighbors (anydody who's been to my house will understand) who spend a LOT of time digging through cow poo. They look like zombies:rofl:

:zombie::zombie:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom