"Your vehicle is an extension of your home...."---NO IT IS NOT....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    “Your vehicle is an extension of your home”

The problem with this statement is that MOST people who use it do so with the mistaken belief that they can do anything in their vehicle that they can do in their home. That simply is not true.

That statement has no legal status. It is a layman’s phrase used in reference to the ability to defend oneself in their vehicle SIMILARLY as in one’s home.

This is a result of the recent “Carjacker Law" that was added as a justification for homicide, and the legal allowance to have a firearm inside one's vehicle without the need for a permit in certain states such as Louisiana.

Also, some insurance documents make reference to the statement that for insurance purposes, your "vehicle, garage, boat, etc. is considered an extension of your home." However, insurance law is not the same as criminal law.

You cannot do everything in your vehicle that you can do in your home due to expectation of privacy precedence and specific local laws. The Supreme Court has already ruled that you have the same expectation to SAFETY in your vehicle as you do your home, but they have also ruled that you DO NOT have the same expectation of PRIVACY in your vehicles as you do your home.

There are different legal requirements for search and seizure in your home than their are for your vehicle.

An extreme example is that you can walk around naked in your home all day, and that act in and of itself is not a crime. However, if you are driving around town naked in your car, then that act in and of itself is a violation of most obscenity laws and is arrestable.

Another example is that while you can drink until you die in your home, you cannot drink in your vehicle in most cases. in MOST cases, you would be in violation of either Driving While Intoxicated or local Open Container ordinances.

There are very few exceptions where your home can be searched without a warrant. There are more and different exceptions that allow a search of your vehicle. Different rules and laws for the home and vehicle.

So.....your vehicle is not an extension of your home because you do not have the same expectation of privacy in both. However, you do have the same expectation of safety and may defend yourself in most situations in your car the same as you would inside your home.

Will update with supporting cases when full case briefs can be found.

Last edited:

Baldrik78

Misanthrope Savant
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    The Supreme Court has already ruled that you have the same expectation of privacy to SAFETY in your vehicle as you do your car, but they have also ruled that you DO NOT have the same expectation of PRIVACY in your vehicles as you do your home.

You may want to reread that sentence a couple of times. It does not make the most sense.

JustinB

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Metairie
    An extreme example is that you can walk around naked in your home all day, and that act in and of itself is not a crime. However, if you are driving around town naked in your car, then that act in and of itself is a violation of most obscenity laws and is arrestable.

Being naked in my truck is my God-given right!! :eek3:

/sarcasm :)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'll try and simplify things without offending anyone.

Try driving your wife or GF to a crowded parking area in front of any police station, then commence to making wild naked love in the back seat, as loudly as possibly. Open the windows if you want.

When they come and politely knock on your window, explain to them that your car is an extension of your home, and tell them to go away.

Get back to us.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Moderators, if we sticky this, please delete all comments in order to keep it serious. Thanks.

in fact, you can move it into my forum and i will sticky it there since I wrote it. thanks.

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    st-peters-car-in-house-uh.jpg

NOW WHO SAYS MY CAR IS NOT AN EXTENSION OF MY HOME?!!!!

Last edited:

rooster

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2009
    Lake Charles, LA
    The OP has made a fairly week argument. The right to privacy not the same because of the "plain sight" rule. You can't walk around naked if you have a glass house. Not good examples and you should provide case law to support your claims. The are not exactly the same but most of the same rights do apply. Again I say most, but the example provided is not a good one.

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    “Your vehicle is an extension of your home”

The problem with this statement is that MOST people who use it do so with the mistaken belief that they can do anything in their vehicle that they can do in their home. That simply is not true.

That statement has no legal status. It is a layman’s phrase used in reference to the ability to defend oneself in their vehicle SIMILARLY as in one’s home.

This is a result of the recent “Carjacker Law" that was added as a justification for homicide, and the legal allowance to have a firearm inside one's vehicle without the need for a permit in certain states such as Louisiana.

Also, some insurance documents make reference to the statement that for insurance purposes, your "vehicle, garage, boat, etc. is considered an extension of your home." However, insurance law is not the same as criminal law.

You cannot do everything in your vehicle that you can do in your home due to expectation of privacy precedence and specific local laws. The Supreme Court has already ruled that you have the same expectation to SAFETY in your vehicle as you do your carhome, but they have also ruled that you DO NOT have the same expectation of PRIVACY in your vehicles as you do your home.

There are different legal requirements for search and seizure in your home than their are for your vehicle.

There are very few exceptions where your home can be searched without a warrant. There are more and different exceptions that allow a search of your vehicle. Different rules and laws for the home and vehicle.

So.....your vehicle is not an extension of your home because you do not have the same expectation of privacy in both. However, you do have the same expectation of safety and may defend yourself in most situations in your car the same as you would inside your home.

Will update with supporting cases when full case briefs can be found.

made a fix to what I think you meant.

Good explanation, maybe you should add an addition in bold saying, YOU CAN HAVE A GUN IN YOUR CAR W/O A PERMIT,BUT IT IS NOT AN "EXTENSION OF YOUR HOME" IN CERTAIN CASES for the people who don't feel like reading it all.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    made a fix to what I think you meant.

Good explanation, maybe you should add an addition in bold saying, YOU CAN HAVE A GUN IN YOUR CAR W/O A PERMIT,BUT IT IS NOT AN "EXTENSION OF YOUR HOME" IN CERTAIN CASES for the people who don't feel like reading it all.

i hear ya, but if they are too stupid or lazy too read it all, they probably should not have a gun. this kind of stuff is a little important.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    We may want to also note that it's legal to have more than one firearm in your vehicle here, also.

Top Bottom