Problems with Ruger 10/22 ejecting spent shells

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    So the last time I shot my Ruger 10/22 I was noticing a couple of problems.

1) I bought two of the plastic banana clip magazines and for the first 5 or 6 rounds it would not load correctly and the magazines didn't seat correctly. I found I had to hold them a certain way to get the bullets to load correctly.

2) With both the 10 round magazine (original) and the 2 banana clips I found that the ejected shells were not clearing the action before it closed so they got stuck. This happened frequently with the banana clips and then 1 in ever 8 or so rounds on the 10 round magazine.

The rifle is brand new with nothing done to it and it was bought from Academy so there's a no return policy. Is there anything I need to do or adjust to correct this?

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Could there be anything preventing your action from cycling??????????

Have you taken it apart to clean it just to make sure its not that?

What have you done to "trouble shoot" the issue so we can get a better understanding of what could be happening.

Also are you using the correct ammo for whatever spring you might have, I know some 22LR weapons say to use or not use power loads as they will not cycle correclty.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    It's probably your mags that are the problem, but I would also change out your extractor.
    The Volquartsen extractors are a hell of a lot more reliable than the factory Ruger extractors.
    They're cheap and very easy to install, you can do it yourself in minutes.
    They also work in the Ruger MK.II pistols. It's the same extractor. I don't know if they'll work in the MK.III's.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=13845/Product/10_22_reg____MAGNUM_EXACT_EDGE_EXTRACTOR

EDIT: The above extractor will work on the Ruger MK.III pistol as well.

Art

Last edited:

theway109

Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Feb 7, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    Shoot it a lot using factory mags. The upgraded extractor from Volquartzen or Power Custom is also a great idea.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Did you buy plastic or steel lipped 25rnd mags?

Plastic lips are butter covered dog ****. Steel lips or nothing. Factory mags shouldn't mess up though.

Otherwise, I'd make sure you take the gun apart, clean 'er up, lube it well, and try again.

old jim

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    The extractor is only needed to extract an unfired casing. 10-22's are a blowback system and will cycle without an extractor. Did you possibly mount a scope and the base screw are dragging on the bolt?
    The mag on a 10-22 is the ejecture and most plastic ones are crap.
    Jim

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    +1 to everyone. That said it before me...

Using GOOD mags usually fixes the issue...

There's not a single good reason to run a stock 10-22. It's like the 1911 of rifles. Plenty of people make parts for it that are FAR superior to the factory stuff.

My addition to this thread is a warning. Be very careful when you upgrade parts!!! Results vary from person to person, but problems may include 1. Eventually owning a $1,000 22cal Franken-gun, 2. The inability to own only 3 ruger 10-22s, or 3. Eventually having enough factory parts to build multiple new rifles.
    Trust me :D. Make sure you have financial supervision if you enter the 10-22 after-market parts business. LoL

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Hey man, all I did was replace the horrid factory iron sights with Tech Sights, and after that, I was -quite- happy with my 10/22 ;)

Not 100% stock, but mostly... and I love it. So it -can- be done! Besides, I'm not one of those guys who would pour $1,000 into a dang .22 plinker :P Just... just so many more guns deserving of the cash, imo lol

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    +1 to everyone. That said it before me...

Using GOOD mags usually fixes the issue...

There's not a single good reason to run a stock 10-22. It's like the 1911 of rifles. Plenty of people make parts for it that are FAR superior to the factory stuff.

My addition to this thread is a warning. Be very careful when you upgrade parts!!! Results vary from person to person, but problems may include 1. Eventually owning a $1,000 22cal Franken-gun, 2. The inability to own only 3 ruger 10-22s, or 3. Eventually having enough factory parts to build multiple new rifles.
    Trust me :D. Make sure you have financial supervision if you enter the 10-22 after-market parts business. LoL

:rofl:

This man speaks the truth.

Art

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Well it's brand new so I've done nothing to it...yet.

I did put a small 4x scope on it. Pretty sure the bolt screw isn't interfering with it but I"ll check.

Yeah they are the cheap plastic lip mags. I should have known better. Ugh...

Thanks for the information.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    If those are Butler Creek big mags, I'd be willing to bet thats most of the problem.

I recently bought a new 10/'22 and noticed some of the same things happening, like posted above, keep shooting it with the factory mag and it will loosen up and run right.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Yeah they are the cheap plastic lip mags. I should have known better. Ugh...

Thanks for the information.

Don't sweat it man, most people learn the hard way. I bought the plastic lipped one, not knowing better. Bought 1 at Bass Pro when I bought the rifle... went right from Bass Pro to Sherburne's range. I figured "Hey, $5 cheaper... I'm sure plastic will be fine.."

NOPE! lol

From day 1, those mags gave me trouble, and it only went down hill. I still use that plastic one from time to time, but it's at about a 50% malfunction rate. It's ready to be retired, as it's costing me money in ammo, every time my bolt destroys the brass of a half-loaded or crookedly-loaded cartridge. I'm willing to bet it's eaten more than the $5 I saved buying it, in ammo, actually... so I take it back... that bastard is now officially retired.

I have one steel lipped mag (in addition to the 1 factory rotary mag) and it's never given me any real problems, after I ran it a few times. I don't know if it was the spring, or something, that just needed to be worked up and down a couple times, but I got a few misfeeds the first few times I ran it. Went away quick and never returned though; it's flawless now.

NOLASHOOTER

Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Jul 9, 2010
    New Orleans
    Wait up. You aren't supposed to throw a bunch of money into a 10/22. Now you tell me. Oh well, I am done now. I would say clean it real good, lube it and get yourself a Tactical Innovations clip. It is fully adjustable and has steel lips. It just feels better and the money will be well spent. Here is my baby so far.
    bfd9ea45.jpg

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    I am ashamed to admit that I have had no financial supervision.... :run:

When the new trigger group arrives, after my next paycheck, I'll have everything for my "ultimate build". Well, except for a scope and bipod... :rolleyes: I've taken pics and planning to make a thread detailing the build after it's assembled and back from it's first trip to the range.... :D

Turn Key

Stuck up North
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Buy "Real Magic" at Walmart sporting goods

I shoot the crap out of my 10/22's using Butler Creek ( BC ) "Steel Lip" 25 rd. mags.

A fantastic trick that I learned on Rimfire.com was to use a Fishing product that is used to lube tangled fishing line with called Real Magic. Walmart carries this in sporting goods.

Use the "Real or Reel Magic" to wipe down the feed lips of the BC mags prior to shooting and re-loading. I use their 25 round auto loader as well and use a cloth sprayed with it to wipe down the loader before and after using it.

I have a collection of 12, 25 rounds 10/22 mags that I've been treating with Real Magic for way over a year now and shooting monthly a lot. The stuff is a G_d send. I clean my sets of factory Ruger mags with it to.

Great product.

TK

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom