Smothered Turkey Necks in Onion Gravy

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Snookie

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    May 24, 2009
    Lizzard Creek/ Springfield,La.
    Smothered Turkey Necks in Onion Gravy
    PREP TIME: 2 ½ Hours
    SERVES: 6 - 8

INGREDIENTS:

8 turkey necks
    ½ cup bacon drippings
    2 cups onions, sliced
    1 cup celery, diced
    1 cup red bell pepper, diced
    1/4 cup garlic, minced
    ¼ cup flour
    1 ½ quarts beef or chicken stock
    2 tbsps Worcestershire sauce
    1 cup green onions, sliced
    ¼ cup parsley, chopped
    salt and black pepper to taste
    Louisiana Gold Pepper Sauce to taste

METHOD:
    Turkey necks are normally available in packs of 6 in the poultry section of your supermarket. The necks are usually cut into 2 (6-inch) sections but if they are packaged whole, cut them in half for easier handling. Season turkey necks well using salt, pepper and pepper sauce. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a large dutch oven, heat bacon drippings over medium-high heat. Add the larger ends of the turkey necks and cook until golden brown on all sides. Regulate the heat to keep the bacon fat from burning. Continue until all the neck pieces are well browned. Remove and keep warm. In the same dutch oven add onions, celery, bell pepper and garlic. Sauté 3 – 5 minutes stirring occasionally, or until vegetables are wilted. Sprinkle in flour and blend well into the vegetables. This will help to thicken the finished sauce. Add 1 quart of the stock and Worcestershire sauce, blend well into the vegetables and bring to a rolling boil. Reduce heat to simmer and add turkey necks, making sure that the stock covers the necks by a minimum of half way. Add additional stock if necessary. Return the mixture to a rolling boil, top with green onions and parsley. Cover, place in oven and bake for 2 hours, checking for tenderness at 1 ½ hours. It is imperative that the meat is tender enough to fall from the bones. If not, allow the necks to continue baking. Serve over steamed white rice or alongside whipped potatoes.

012.jpg

PrairieCajun

Ima let dat pass dis time
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 4, 2010
    B.R.(da hood), LA
    To all looking...the pic has nothing to do with the recipe. The pic does look interesting, but don't expect to see anything like it if you try this recipe. :mamoru:

bidness is bidness and cookin is cookin :rolleyes:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    It doesn't look done to me.:mamoru:

I absolutely LOVE turkey WINGS & gravy.....Necks would be good too, I'm sure....:)

Last edited:

toddrod

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Feb 14, 2007
    Vacherie, LA
    It is hard to find turkey necks in Vacherie come winter time. I love using 1/2 fresh and 1/2 smoked when I cook them.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom