Simple Battery , Purchasing handgun ?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirk70301

Jack of all trades
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Thibodaux , LA
    My neighbor was denied in a handgun purchase a few weeks ago. He said he had plead guilty to misdemeanor RS14:35 Simple Battery and completed his sentance back in '02 or '03. After his denial he requested a copy of his crininal background check from the local sheriffs office . As he thought , his record was clean except for the RS14:35 simple battery charge . He and I have searched the web to find if this is the reason he was denied a purchase and have come up empty handed . Anyone know of any reason for this , and if it stopped his purchase of a handgun would it keep him from buying a long gun ?

Last edited:

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    It depends on the Simple Battery charge.

If it was against a spouse or female, he is SOL. My nephew cannot own a gun after pleading guilty to Simple Battery. He hit his wife and then pushed her up against a wall. That is the same as Domestic Violence but under a different charge.

dirk70301

Jack of all trades
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Thibodaux , LA
    Did it happen at a bigbox store who refused to transfer after a unanswered three-day delay?
    I believe so . He called the dealer back on the forth day . The dealer had to call him back to let him know he was denied .

Last edited:

dirk70301

Jack of all trades
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Thibodaux , LA
    On his background check it shows as RS14:35 simple battery . If he plead guilty to domestic violance it should show as domestic abuse battery RS14:35.3 . Am I correct on this ? He also says it was not a family member or spouce just some Joe off the street .

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Did it happen at a bigbox store who refused to transfer after a unanswered three-day delay?

I believe so .

If he received a delay, after three days the store can legally transfer the firearm to him if no response has been received on it. Some big box stores refuse to transfer if they have not received a response. If this is what happened, tell him to go to his local dealer.

dirk70301

Jack of all trades
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 14, 2009
    Thibodaux , LA
    This is a new subject for me , so if somone is convicted of Misdemeaner Domestic Violance they can not own , purchase or possess a firearm . They loose their right to bear arms as a felon does . Does the 10 year automatic pardon work in this case also ?

Last edited:

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    This is a new subject for me , so if somone is convicted of Misdemeaner Domestic Violance they can not own , purchase or possess a firearm . They loose their right to bear arms as a felon does . Does the 10 year automatic pardon work in this case also ?

Most likely, the man is banned for life.

I have not ran the laws out on this but at first blush, I looks like it is like a DUI and follows someone for life.

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA

That's correct.Even thou a misdemeanor with that domestic violence tacked on it takes away the right to keep and bear arms.That little dandy goes back to the Bill Clinton days.Thanks Bill!......a**hole

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom