Custom Gun Works lied to me!!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jgreco15

The Zebra
    Feb 15, 2009
    Lafayette, LA
    So 2 weeks ago, I dropped off a Remington 700 to have my Surgeon bottom metal/detachable mag installed. Guy tells me it should be a couple days to a week. I fill out the tag and head out...

A week and a half later I call to find out if it is finished yet. The guy who answers the phone tells me "the guys in the back haven't gotten to it yet." I say ok and ask when they might get to it and he tells me he isn't sure but it won't be long. So I wait about 5 more days and call again. I get the same exact response. I was a bit frustrated but didn't really mind since I have been so busy with my day job and traveling that I haven't been able to shoot anyway.

Last Thursday, a friend calls me and tells me about a good gunsmith in the Carencro area. I told him that if Custom didn't already have my gun, I would bring it to him. The friend tells me he is going to the guy in Carencro to have a barrel threaded and we end the conversation there. A few hours later, Custom calls me and asks if I want some other work done while they are working on it which tells me they are just getting to it. Before I hang up, the guy on the phone tells me it should be done by the beginning of the next week.

The very next day, the friend who I was speaking with the day before calls again. He just dropped off his barrel and SAW MY RIFLE AT THIS GUY'S SHOP IN CARENCRO. A bit confused, I call the guy in Carencro and speak with him. He tells me Custom subs out some of their work to him and thats how my rifle ended up there. He says they just dropped it off on Friday. I promise him that I will not do anything to jepordize his relationship with Custom but I will have a word with them.

Fast forward to today. I call the gunsmith in Carencro and ask when I might be able to get it back since I have a chance to shoot this week. He says it has been done since yesterday (Monday) and he is just waiting on Custom to pick it up. So on my lunch break, I stop in to Custom and ask for my rifle. I tell the guy (Francis) that I want it back, finished or not. HE TELLS ME THE OWNER (Chris) HAS IT AT HIS HOUSE BECAUSE HIS NEW MILL IS LOCATED THERE. I look the guy straight in the eyes and say, "Don't f**king lie to me. I know its not at Chris' house!" I see him get a little nervous and he asks if I am unhappy with the turnaround time. I tell him "No, I am unhappy because 1) You let my rifle sit here for 2 weeks before you sent it to have the work done 2) I was never told that the work was being subed out and 3) now you are lying to my face about where my gun is!" Before he can say anything else, I instruct him to call the gunsmith who has the gun and allow him to release it to me and I will pay him directly for the work. He picks up the phone and does exactly as I say and I walk out.

As soon as I left, I call the guy who has my gun and leave a message. Within a few minutes he calls me and tells me that he understands my frustration but can not let me pick it up. He says he must give it back to the person who dropped it off. "No problem" I tell him hoping that I will get a chance to go back and let them try to explain themselves.

An hour later, Custom calls me to tell me they have my gun. I go straight there to pick it up. The same guy who lied to my face hours before had the nuts to pretend like nothing happened at all. I ask him how much, pay him and walk out without saying a word.

First off, the guy who actually did the work did nothing wrong at all. I have absolutley no reason to be mad at him and I surely hope he continues to get business from Custom. He did good work and from now on, I will be bringing my stuff straight to him. To Custom, I may be a small, first time customer but this is complete ********. I hope the money they made on me was worth the story I will tell anyone I know who might give them business. I will never set foot back in that place.

11Bravo

Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    This is the reason I have never stepped foot in this place. I have heard nothing but bad experiences there. Someone needs to step up and start working on customer service.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Best guy in this area IMO is Mike Moore he owns Tac Drivers and he has done lots of work for Custom including the build of the 1911 that they "made" to raise money for a good cause a couple of years back but I have never heard of anybody operating in Carencro other than Mr Jace and he only does coats no Smith work.

spanky

Gold Member
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Good info, jgreco. That is very interesting... and a place I would not patronize.

There can be NO excuse for that sort of chicanery.

Glad it worked out for you.

I admire a man who makes me refer to google in such a short post. :rofl:

tactical723

3 Gun / F Class Player
    Feb 16, 2008
    Northshore - Covington, LA
    Mike Moore at Tac Drivers is a part time instructor at Gunsite, retired sniper, LEO from Lafayette PD and one of the best Custom Rifle smiths in the country, also traveled around the world with pistol competitions in the early 90's, I can attest to his work, and ethics, this is the guy who did the work, its a shame the first company was subcontracting and lying to make a profit off of Mike's work !!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I agree with Tactical, Mike has been my Smith and friend for years, he is slow but he is a one man show unlike others, he also teaches every other month at Gunsite but if you don't mind the wait he is honest, and will put a costumer always first and his prices are affordable, I have been after a Colt 1911 he built for Ross back in the 90's way b4 drop in parts were available he custom built the compensator from a chunk of metal and it's attached to the barrel like they were born together.

His custom built rem 700's are also out of this world including his personal supressed 308

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom