Check your gear....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ShyGuy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2013
    Houma
    When a storm is coming on shore fill your bath tubs with water and plug them with a new plug from the store. This is my tooth brushing hand washing toilet flushing water. In a real emergency this is my potable drinking water as well. A bath tub can fit many a gallon and keep for quite a while. Keep the bath room door shut to avoid bugs from getting in if the power is out and the windows/doors are open for cooling.

homeslice

Be honest.
    Rating - 100%
    87   0   0
    Mar 13, 2009
    St. Charles Parish
    Glad to see this thread still kicking. I did switch to two liter soda bottles. Dumping and refilling every six months. After scouring craigslist and other sources for the 8 bottle racks, I ended up finding 10 on side the road. Ha! Currently rotating three racks of water at 8 bottles a piece. Water tastes fine no smell. Considering adding proper amounts of bleach to ensure it keeps. I also store my water separately from my gear and food stores to ensure that I don't lose everything again.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Glad to see this thread still kicking. I did switch to two liter soda bottles. Dumping and refilling every six months. After scouring craigslist and other sources for the 8 bottle racks, I ended up finding 10 on side the road. Ha! Currently rotating three racks of water at 8 bottles a piece. Water tastes fine no smell. Considering adding proper amounts of bleach to ensure it keeps. I also store my water separately from my gear and food stores to ensure that I don't lose everything again.

I recently switched to 2 liter bottles as well. How much bleach would you add to a 2 liter?

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    One big thing to check also is if your generators start up. Whether they are whole house units or crank start portables. Mine stopped doing its weekly self starts. Found that the battery was dead even though its only a little over a year old. I also made sure to program its self check starts to come on in the evenings when I am home so I can hear it.

Rougarou

Wanderer of the Wasteland
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2014
    St. Charles Parish
    For water storage I don't buy any special containers. I use the jugs that cat litter comes in. They hold about 2.5 gallons and are #2 hdpe plastic. You will need to get some o rings or cut gaskets for the lids, though, otherwise they will leak.

denign

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2014
    USA
    Wow. I dehydrated all my water. :-) why not just have a rain barrel, then re-install the bung? put a pc of screen wire and some coffee filters on the entrance, of course, and treat or boil it if you need it. If you need to move it, pour some out into other containers. Even 2-3 garbage bags, one inside the other, will work short term. the lack of water is one of the reasons why I'll be leavingif shtf. The towns will burn, and looter types will kill you to get your water. dogs will be hanging around your place because they smell water/food, and people will notice the dogs. water storage is a non-starter, really. You need 500 gallons per year, per person, just for drinking, and it weighs 8 lbs per gallon. So a ton of water is just a 6 month supply for one person. So it's just a question of how SOON you will be forced to move close to a water source.

1911Dave

Rating - 100%
    60   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Mandeville
    Wow. I dehydrated all my water. :-) why not just have a rain barrel, then re-install the bung? put a pc of screen wire and some coffee filters on the entrance, of course, and treat or boil it if you need it. If you need to move it, pour some out into other containers. Even 2-3 garbage bags, one inside the other, will work short term. the lack of water is one of the reasons why I'll be leavingif shtf. The towns will burn, and looter types will kill you to get your water. dogs will be hanging around your place because they smell water/food, and people will notice the dogs. water storage is a non-starter, really. You need 500 gallons per year, per person, just for drinking, and it weighs 8 lbs per gallon. So a ton of water is just a 6 month supply for one person. So it's just a question of how SOON you will be forced to move close to a water source.

Do you actually enjoy life or just spend all day dreaming of the day when the shtf?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Do you actually enjoy life or just spend all day dreaming of the day when the shtf?

I wonder about this a lot these days. So much talk of catastrophe on the gun boards is a bit depressing. This is the United States for crying out loud! This is like peaches and cream central, but there are always the type who hate themselves or their lives who want to ruin it for the rest of us.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I wonder about this a lot these days. So much talk of catastrophe on the gun boards is a bit depressing. This is the United States for crying out loud! This is like peaches and cream central, but there are always the type who hate themselves or their lives who want to ruin it for the rest of us.

True... but look how fast Ferguson became a household name... and I don't think its quite over yet.

Harrisracing

Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jan 28, 2013
    Lafayette, LA

Yes and make sure you have a couple of crossbows. You get an added bonus of being able to eat the dogs on the quiet. And by dogs, I mean looters...while we are talking crazy talk. And I jest...

But for real. Left-over glass bottles work great. Handles of liquor, jelly jars, etc. I like glass. It cracks easy, but it stores water very well and doesn't tend to make the water taste funny when it gets hot.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom