BayouShooter Ad Available
MEJ Services LLC

Thread: who has the best ammo prices in the baton rouge area?

who has the best ammo prices in the baton rouge area?

im looking for 9mm and 7.62x39mm ammo. the best i found was academy sports for 9mm and the gunshow for 7.62x39mm.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...326-40350-0112

thats $180 for 1,000 rounds of 9mm ammo. seems like it goes up every time i check!

Marksman

Premium Member
    Sadly, I think monarch blue box is the best price for 9mm (academy)

Oh Snap

Premium Member
    Man, I bought a couple cases at about $150 a few months ago.

I usually just get the CCI blazer stuff in 9mm from Academy whenever I am going to the range. It is usually pretty cheap and shoots alright for me.

buy bulk online, save yourself some $ unless you know people that get discounts.

Marksman

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Manimal View Post
    buy bulk online, save yourself some $ unless you know people that get discounts.

That's the thing, for target rounds, i've yet to find anything online that beats the per box price ofmonarch blue box from academy. (9mm)

Old but not dead .
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrawf1 View Post
    That's the thing, for target rounds, i've yet to find anything online that beats the per box price ofmonarch blue box from academy. (9mm)
    How much is the Monarch at Academy ? http://www.grafs.com/ammo/26

I have ordered from these guys a bunch of times . Flat rate of $4.50 shipping , no matter how much you order .

Marksman

Premium Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pops View Post
    How much is the Monarch at Academy ? http://www.grafs.com/ammo/26

I have ordered from these guys a bunch of times . Flat rate of $4.50 shipping , no matter how much you order .

7.99 a box of 50

Old but not dead .
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcrawf1 View Post
    7.99 a box of 50
    Plus 9% tax and time and gasoline . I prefer to order , cuz I usually buy ammo for my C&R's at the same time . Academy doesn't have 7.7 Jap or 7.5 Swiss , etc . If they do , it will be the high dollar NORMA stuff .

Plus 9% tax and time and gasoline.

www.ammoman.com to your door by the 1,000rds = less trips to the store, less taxes, grab a box & go.

Marksman

Premium Member
    Plus 9% tax and time and gasoline . I prefer to order , cuz I usually buy ammo for my C&R's at the same time . Academy doesn't have 7.7 Jap or 7.5 Swiss , etc . If they do , it will be the high dollar NORMA stuff .
    Do you have a C&R license? You may qualify for dealer pricing from midway or grafs, so i hear....

La. CHP Instructor #409

Gold Member
    Ammo Man is the way to go if they have your ammo in stock. I have been waiting for 124 Lawman for a while.

Resident Dimwit
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyduck View Post
    im looking for 9mm and 7.62x39mm ammo. the best i found was academy sports for 9mm and the gunshow for 7.62x39mm.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...326-40350-0112

thats $180 for 1,000 rounds of 9mm ammo. seems like it goes up every time i check!
    You must not place too high of a value on your pistol if you are willing to shoot Russian ammo through it. Especially when you can buy CCI Blazer 9mm from NSS for $ 7.99 per box. (Roughly $175 per case delivered to your door.)
    Certified Armorer: Raven, Lorcin and Jennings Firearms

You can fool all of the people some of the time, and that should be sufficient.

www.PersonalDefenseTraining.net

Quote Originally Posted by dawg23 View Post
    You must not place too high of a value on your pistol if you are willing to shoot Russian ammo through it. Especially when you can buy CCI Blazer 9mm from NSS for $ 7.99 per box. (Roughly $175 per case delivered to your door.)
    Another great place, this is where I bought my CCI.

the monarch i linked is brass. and what exactly do you think russian ammo is gonna do to my beretta or glock?

Resident Dimwit
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyduck View Post
    the monarch i linked is brass. and what exactly do you think russian ammo is gonna do to my beretta or glock?
    Google "double charge" and "kaboom."

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg23 View Post
    Google "double charge" and "kaboom."
    Does Monarch have some history of double charging their ammo?

Resident Dimwit
    Quote Originally Posted by nikolai View Post
    Does Monarch have some history of double charging their ammo?
    Not to my personal knowledge. But none of the Russian manufacturers has ever been known to meet the quality control standards of the US ammo makers.

A lot of people have reported a big drop-off in Olin's (Winchester) QA/QC in the past 18 months - but it is still head & shoulders above the average Russian company.

Double charging and squib loads used to be not uncommon in Russian ammo. Far less common now, but I think the odds are far greater than with US ammo. There just isn't enough of a price delta (in my mind) to justify the additional (even though it is slight) risk. In the original post, the price quoted for Monarch was about the same as Blazer (and only $.50/box cheaper than Academy's sale price yesterday on WWB ammo).

Lots of people have shot lots of russian ammo with no problem. And occasionally people have trouble with US ammo. But I think the odds are in my favor using US ammo - unless there is a major price differential that would tilt the odds in my favor.