Difference between Ruger M77 rings vs. Weaver rings

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Pardon my ignorance, fellow Bayou Shooters, but I need some scope mounting advice.
    Looking for a set of decent quality detachable 1" rings (medium height) to mount a new scope to the rail atop my newly acquired Remington 700 SPS Tactical. 308 rifle. Not many choices left in NOLA sporting good stores this time of year, but one of the Academy stores does have a set of detachable (thumb-screw version) Leupold rings made for the Ruger M77 rifle.
    What's the difference in size or application, since I always thought the Ruger rifle receiver comes already machined to accept "Weaver-style" rings in the first place?
    Does anybody else in the NOLA area carry a decent selection/supply of scope rings post-hunting season, or do I need to plan another drive to Cabela's in Gonzales?
    I like Leupold for quality and affordability, naturally; also hearing good things about Warne rings but I haven't seen them selling anywhere local.
    I'll be moving around today so any feedback you can send by E-mail versus P/M's is appreciated.
    Thanks in advance...

Last edited:

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Rings made for a Ruger do not fit a weaver style base. I would go with Warne's for a Weaver style base. Doubt you'll find them around here, easiest to order online, probably cheaper too.

Another option is to remove the rail and use a one piece ring/mount like Talley Lightweights or the DNZ mounts. Very strong and very light.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Does anybody else in the NOLA area carry a decent selection/supply of scope rings post-hunting season, or do I need to plan another drive to Cabela's in Gonzales?

Have you tried any of the site sponsors? Louque's Firearms and Nick's Shooting Range both carry what you need.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    As mentioned, Ruger mounts are a proprietary design. You can see the difference in these two pics

Ruger
    http://www.gunreports.com/media/newspics/selector/Ruger-Hawkeye-Tactical-HM77VLEH-308-Win-6bases.jpg

Weaver
    https://www.paintballspartan.com/paintball/os/images/Tactical_Weaver_Mount.jpg

http://images2.opticsplanet.com/640-640/opplanet-leupold-quick-release-weaver-style-qrw-rings.jpg

It is also worth mentioning that weaver and picatinny are not exactly the same, similar to .223 vs. 5.56.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    "Scooter" makes a good point about supporting local businesses who are also Bayou Shooter site sponsors, plus I detest the whole "take a number and hope we feel like helping you--and hope that we know what we are talking about" treatment that is par for the course at the Cabela's guns counter.
    Who is closer to N'Awlins driving wise, Nick's or James Louque?
    Maybe I'll just drag the new rifle to one of them and let them help me avoid any mistakes.
    -0-
    "Ben" likewise notes that Picatinny (sp?) and Weaver mounts are different, and I knew that in priciple, but--
    All I know for sure is the 700 SPS Tactical rifle came with a single-piece rail already mounted and the seller told me I needed Weaver style rings...
    He wouldn't part with his Leupold rings or his Leupold FX-series scope, can you blame him?

Last edited:

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    Who is closer to N'Awlins driving wise, Nick's or James Louque?
    Maybe I'll just drag the new rifle to one of them and let them help me avoid any mistakes.
    -

Nick's is closer but only by about 3 or 4 miles. James has been known to meet folks somewhere between here and there.

saxmanson

Hardly Newbie
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Jan 3, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Right now, post-hunting season, I would be happy just to find a decent set of 1" medium height scope rings to try out my Weaver rail (I was able to verify that much...)
    Heck, I'd be happy with a used set of rings at this point...
    Got the new rifle and the new scope, Weaver rail is torqued and Loctite'd -- but no 1" (medium) rings anywhere in the immediate NOLA area!
    But that's another story, for another thread.
    Thanks to the B/S community for helping get this much resolved...
    Now if anybody has a set of rings out there, or knows where to find please hook a brother up, okay?

Last edited:

jmeng

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I've got a set of Burris Zee rings (fits weaver style base) at the house that are homeless. I could probably be talked into selling them. Will have to check though, can't remember if they're med or low.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Don't yall have any gunshops over there? Between Dave's, Shooters, Buckfins, Acadiana Outfitters, etc. I'm sure there are hundreds of sets of rings in stock around here. That said, There is no set standard as to how high a "low", "medium", or "high" ring really is. Your best bet would be to shim the scope to where you want it, measure the distance between the rail/tube, and then start looking at manufacturers websites for the rings that'll work. Also note that some manufacturers measure to the center of the scope while others measure to the bottom of the tube. Oh, I've also got a few sets of rings laying around that you could try if you were closer.

Top Bottom