Louisiana Knife Laws

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I read on knife forums [fora?] of people getting into trouble after LEOs see their clip, asking to look at the knife, and then finding some reason to harass the person. The intimation is LEOs are just looking for an opening.

I carry a knife more often than I carry a firearm, but I really don't know what the laws are.

My DC knives are all folders and the longest blade is on my 710D2 McHenry and Williams just under 4" at 10cm.

I was refused entry to the Holocaust Museum several years ago. They don't allow any knives whatsoever and don't accommodate you like they did at the State Capitol by storing it for you.

We went around the street to an air and space museum. I showed my knife to a guard. I think it was a Buck Squire. He held it up and yelled at his supervisor across the room, "Hey George, is this knife OK?" I think he got a kick out of it. I was allowed to enter with it.

Asides from going to the court house or travelling scheduled air, I give no thought to EDC, but after reading a bit, am not so confident.

What are the restrictions on knife carrying in Louisiana and EBRP in particular?
    :dunno:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Thats inaccurate all the way around. You can "conceal" a knife all you want. I would suggest you either ask an attorney or do your own research before you follow unqualified internet legal advice.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    It can't be auto unless you are autorized( LE/GOV,etc). It can be concealed,just tell an officer if he ask if you have any weapons.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    My knife is an instruamentallity used to open packages and cut things. Im proud of you for finding the LRS entry but have either of you guys looked into any case law on the subject? Have you found a single successful prosecution of a person in La for carrying a knife in their pocket? Didn't think so. Thanks for playing, do come again.

jphilp87

Glock
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Ascension
    I read on knife forums [fora?] of people getting into trouble after LEOs see their clip, asking to look at the knife, and then finding some reason to harass the person. The intimation is LEOs are just looking for an opening.

I carry a knife more often than I carry a firearm, but I really don't know what the laws are.

My DC knives are all folders and the longest blade is on my 710D2 McHenry and Williams just under 4" at 10cm.

I was refused entry to the Holocaust Museum several years ago. They don't allow any knives whatsoever and don't accommodate you like they did at the State Capitol by storing it for you.

We went around the street to an air and space museum. I showed my knife to a guard. I think it was a Buck Squire. He held it up and yelled at his supervisor across the room, "Hey George, is this knife OK?" I think he got a kick out of it. I was allowed to enter with it.

Asides from going to the court house or travelling scheduled air, I give no thought to EDC, but after reading a bit, am not so confident.

What are the restrictions on knife carrying in Louisiana and EBRP in particular?
    :dunno:

Well, your question has already been answered above... though you'll have to sort through the answers in a way.

Take a look at the law itself. It is pretty clear. Don't conceal anything that is a "dangerous weapon." Now that takes a little bit of interpretation. i.e. talk to a lawyer. But one thing I have learned in life... use common sense... is this pocket knife of which you speak really a "Dangerous Weapon"? I mean, we aren't talking about a 9 inch, switchblade, ninja knife.... right?

Just my .02 at 2am lol.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    You guys see the point. Thats what the google legal experts don't get. The letter of the law is one thing, how it is actual applied is another. It's why you don't get arrested every time you spit on the ground or commit sodomy. But hey what would I know.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    In my 60 + years of carrying a pocket knife, my knife has never been an "instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon".

I may have to do an emergency tracheotomy.

Just hope it isn't on a BG who is causing the emergency.

leVieux

robbynola

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    New Orleans, LA
    I as in a truck stop in Laplace the other day. They had a case of cheapo gun show knives which had a sign saying "Know your laws: In Louisiana, it is illegal to carry a knife with a blade over 3.5 inches." I almost loled my pants.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    Have you found a single successful prosecution of a person in La for carrying a knife in their pocket?

There are none. I recall there is one case where to cop saw an outline of a knife in a pocket, but the charge did not stick because the cop couldn't tell what it was, and so lacked reasonable suspicion for the stop and the case was tossed.

So as a matter of practice, one can carry a knife of any type and length concealed on the person in Louisiana. I have always been a little perplexed by the statute v. enforcement.

The law is on the books, and a charge could be made. But I believe it could be effectively argued against on the basis of social custom, which is a factor in the LA Civil Code to be used where the law is confusing. And despite any previous statements about case history in LA, they do play a part in the judicial process, particularly where there is no case history.

The fact that many Louisiana citizens carry concealed knives in spite of law on the books in the absence of case history would be very determining.

In leVieux's case, I think any court would recognize that a physician would carry a concealed knife for unforseen medical contingencies. But that does not rule out the rest of the statute, especially for the average joe, and always running in the background is that buzz about an instrument customarily used for illegal purposes.

That phraseology would certainly encompass most knives. It could get you The Ride, even if the law lets you slide later.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Dude please stop giving Legal Advice, You aren't qualified and your gonna get some one in trouble. The LA Civil Code and the Revised Criminal Statue are distinctly different in scope, intent, and application.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    My pocket knife was bought at a Lowe's where it was advertised as a "workman's knife designed to be easily opened with one hand for when you need a knife but don't have a free hand." It is an SOG Twitch II.

posse comatosis

Hoo-ahh!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2008
    Bayou Perdition
    The LA Civil Code and the Revised Criminal Statue are distinctly different in scope, intent, and application

The Revised Statues originated from the Civil Code. It can be used to shed light on the Criminal Code when there is confusion. You're to one who doesn't have a clue.

You said:
    Dude please stop giving Legal Advice, You aren't qualified
    This is an internet message board and everybody knows it, or should know it. Chill, man.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    I have a thread a while back that goes over all this.

Basically, if you have a slip joint in your pocket you probably won't get any bull about it. Now if you have a 6" fixed blade IWB, you might catch some flak. I carry around a Kershaw assisted opening folder, that's under 4", clipped to my right front pocket tip up and I never have any problems with LEO's. If they ask what it's for, it's a tool. I have no intention of using it for self defense as I haven't been trained to fight with a knife. Nor is the knife I carry suitable for self defense.

In other words, just because you can... doesn't mean you should.

jmanrogers

SGT JMAN
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Alexandria
    DANG!! I guess I can't carry a CONDOM in my wallet anymore, because it could be considered a dangerous weapon. I mean, it could be stretched over someones face and suffocate them. I never saw this coming! I know, "THAT'S WHAT SHE SAID!"

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    The pen in my pocket can be considered a dangerous weapon.

Hell, I have a black belt. So, when my hands are in my pocket, I'm concealing a deadly weapon?

Top Bottom