Outdoor range near Baton Rouge?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • thesamunit

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    Does such an animal exist? I know the Ascension sherriff dept range let's the public shoot there for a few hours once or twice a month, but I'm practice weekly. Someone please enlighten me!

biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Sherburne WMA.

They have rifle, pistol and shotgun lanes and its free to use if you have a hunting or fishing license. Its right outside of Krotz Springs. You just take a right at the base of the bridge before entering Krotz Springs and then a left onto the little black top road that then turns into gravel. Be sure to fill out a card thingy that says what you're doing, etc and stick the stub in your window.

Thats the closest one I know of that doesn't require a membership or anything.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Sherburne WMA.

+1

Sherburne WMA is free to use. But, you are required to have either a fishing license, hunting license, or WMA permit to use the facilities. You also need to stop at the self-clearing station and fill out the permit and put the tag on your dash. The pistol and rifle ranges are open from dusk til dawn daily, come and go as you please. The skeet range has limited hours and I believe you have to schedule it... not sure on that part. Standard range rules apply, so bring your eyes and ears... bring food and water, too. Bring your tent and gear and have a camp-out if you want. Fishing and hunting are free as well, just gotta have a WMA stamp on your license and follow LDWF rules. Great place!!!

click for map

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy
    Love me some Sherburne, man.

I know I'm in Lafayette, but it's about the same distance there, from here, as Baton Rouge, so I guess the convenience factor is the same.

Excellent facility, great resource, and gorgeous scenery.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    Went there myself , this morning . The rain held off . Had a good day .

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    What are you trying to practice? Rifle or pistol? Palo Alto is a members club that has a very good rifle range but all they have for pistol is 25 yards and won't allow you to shoot steel targets. There is another members club near Lafayette but I am not sure what they have. Maybe BayouSlide can get in on this one. Both are within an hours drive of Baton Rouge.

Beauxdog

bravo3

dont tread on me
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    does sherburne have steel targets for rifles or pistols?

do i need to bring my own paper targets?

critterdoc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 16, 2009
    Kenner, LA
    What are you trying to practice? Rifle or pistol? Palo Alto is a members club that has a very good rifle range but all they have for pistol is 25 yards and won't allow you to shoot steel targets. There is another members club near Lafayette but I am not sure what they have. Maybe BayouSlide can get in on this one. Both are within an hours drive of Baton Rouge.

Beauxdog
    Pistols can be fired on Palo Alto's 100 yard range, but targets cannot be placed inside of the 50 yard line, per Palo Alto rules below:

VII. RANGE USE
    A. The 25 yard range can be used for rifle, pistol or shotgun. Targets can be placed at any distance provided a sanctioned target frame is used. All firing must be done from the firing line (the end of the cement slab). Shotguns should not be fired at club frames. The shooter must insure that the fired round will terminate at the impact berm.
    B. The 100 meter range can be used for rifle or pistol. Targets must be no closer than the 50 yard line. Sanctioned frames must be used. All firing must be done from the firing line (the end of the cement slab). The shooter must insure that the round will terminate at the impact berm.
    C. The 600 yard range is only available to members who have received special orientation on the use, rules, and safety concerns of the 600 yard range. See the Range Officer for this special orientation. DO NOT use this range until you have received these instructions.

Palo Alto Rifle and Pistol Club is located on a 50 acre tract of land in Sugar Cane country on the West bank of the Mississippi River in Ascension Parish 40 miles east of Baton Rouge and 60 miles west of New Orleans. The facility consist of a multi-purpose 15 point 30 meter pistol and small bore rifle range, a 20 point multi-purpose 100 meter rifle range and a full 600 yard “across the course” rifle range complete with elevating targets and target pits. All ranges have covered firing points and the 600 yard range has firing positions and a shooting table at 200, 300, 500, and 600 yards.

.50 cal center fire, armor piercing, tracer, explosive or incendiary ammunition is expressly prohibited.

Information on Match Programs is available on Palo Alto's home page. See the Match Calendar for match schedules.

The club is a private, non-profit corporation which is open to members and their guests seven days a week. The range is open to the general public for NRA sanctioned matches, for designated public sight in days prior to the hunting season, to organizations such as the Boy Scouts of America and other non-profit organizations who would be interested in putting on shooting and firearm related safety programs and events, for hunter education and concealed carry courses, as well as to local law enforcement for training purposes. 

Membership dues are $150 per year with a one-time $100 initiation fee. Junior memberships are available. Non-members can utilize the range three times as an accompanied guest of a member, after which application for membership is expected.

Map from Baton Rouge:
    132546675.jpg

View from Outer Space:
    original.jpg

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    50 Yards is not good when you need to do realistic defensive drills with a carry pistol.

keano44

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 17, 2008
    Lafayette, LA
    The Fusilier Complex is a private range near Arnaudville and Cecilia. Map below:
    http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=30.316216,-91.830622&daddr=Unknown+road&hl=en&geocode=%3BFfRQ0AEdElmG-g&abauth=9ddbb855:IVp3zQCDp2CzdmRfOt4rYJcUsBo&mra=me&mrsp=0,1&sz=16&vps=2&jsv=317d&sll=30.318933,-91.827357&sspn=0.012966,0.019054&num=10

It's located east of Arnaudville against the levee, north of the Henderson/Cecilia exit off of I-10. This is a 100% NRA affiliated club, so you would need to join the NRA if you are not already a member. The dues are $100 per year with a one time initiation fee of $100. There is a nice, covered rifle range with about 24 concrete benches and ranges from 100-300 yards, and a a handgun range that is also covered, where you can shoot out to about 75 yds. They have a shotgun area with a trap range. A 1,000 yd rifle range is in the planning phase. You can join at Bayou Teche Guns in Arnaudville, or go to the website: http://www.hcrpc.com
    Please write my name (Keane Zerangue) on the top right corner of your application, I get a $10 credit towards my membership for next year for referring you. Once you are a member, you can get the credit too, by referring your friends, co-workers, etc. Just have them write your name in the upper right hand corner of their application.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom