How To Repair Firearm Stocks

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Some of you know that I am one of the Mod's over at Surplusrifleforum.com
    I post a lot of How To repair post there with lots of pic's. About 14 or so of my repair post are stickies in the stock care section. I post them there to help gun owners learn how to do stock repair. Here is a link to my last repair post. http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=83&t=60812
    I have been doing stock repair for over 20 years.
    I am also looking for someone to teach. If you wish to learn how to repair and refinish stocks, please contact me. Oh! I will teach you for free.

You will find most of my How To repair post here in the reference stickies.. http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewforum.php?f=137

Last edited:

Swampy

Chicken head
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 3, 2006
    Harvey, La.
    Thats cool... I have been wanting to pick up and old surplus rifle.. Like a K98 or a 303 British at the next gunshow.. I might just need to learn this..

Very nice to offer it up..

I am leaning towards a 303 british cause my wifes dad comes to visit every year (from England) and the only weapon he has ever fired in his life (before going to the range with me) was a 303 and he shot that when he was 16...
    So I want to have one before he comes next year.. Then he can shoot it again..

Anyway.. back on topic.. stock repair.. Cool..:D

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    I stripped and refinished my Kar98k following those stickies!:bigok: Came out pretty good for being a noob and all.;) Amazing how much stuff is hidden on the stock by all that shellac crap!

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    Oldironsights stopped by the house this pasted weekend and bought an old Birch M1 Grand stock from me. While he was there we did a little work on the stock.
    I showed him sone tricks to Striping and sanding and then showed him how to stain with an alcohol base stain.
    The stock he got from me is the one in the middle of the three and the other pic was taken just as he was about to leave the house.
    We started on a BLO hand rubbed finish and he should have the stock finished for this coming weekend.

If anyone has something that they would like to work on, just contact me and we can set up a time for you to come by.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    Candyman, I've read lots of your posts over on SurplusRifle, and your work is legendary. I just wish I lived a bit closer, so I could visit and spend a day.

ntruder800

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 11, 2008
    north of BR
    he has repaired a stock for my daughter and has one of mine right now to reshape and refinish, and hopefully only for a few more days. every time i have been there he has them lined up waiting.

Candyman

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 15, 2008
    Denham Springs
    I'm still here, just been a little busy with my job,stock work and all the little things that come with life. :)

Paul
    I'll try and give you a call.

Cpt. Obvious

not so newbie
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 10, 2011
    West Bank/Algiers, LA
    Lee, thanks so much for all the tutorials/information you've put up regarding stock repair. I recently did some more work on another couple of stocks, and used what I learned from your posts. Cheers, sir!

MrFelixx

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 24, 2013
    Watson, LA
    Thanks for posting this material! It looks like I'll be repairing the toe on a Winchester 77 stock here in a few weeks, and your post is exactly what I needed to get me started.

Adanacdjm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 1, 2014
    St. Albert, Alberta, Canada
    Candyman - I'm a avid follower of your stock refinishing threads on here and SRF. A quick question that I probably already know the answer to but I am hopeful there may be another way to deal with my stock refinishing project currently underway. I've stripped down a Mosin Nagant 91/30 and a K31. Both of these are keepers but their condition when I purchased them were rough . The Mosin was bare wood on the front end with all the original shellac removed. The K31 was grimy and dirty with some good sized dents that I wanted to clean up.Here are the prepped stocks:

ranumu7u.jpg

My issue - I stripped, ironed, lightly sanded and bleached both stocks. Then I decided I would use a minwax mahogany red stain on the Mosin and a dark walnut minwax stain on the K31. I forgot to apply the minwax pre conditioner prior to first stain coat, although I don't think that's a deal breaker. I did stain a small spot on the inside of the barrel groves to see how it would look. It seemed okay so I then proceeded to apply two coats of stain. Once the stain dried I'm not sure I like the colors. The Mosin needs to have more red in it and I used dark walnut on the walnut K31 but it's still lighter then I'd hoped for.

Current condition:

bu2a5u5y.jpg
    9a2a9aqa.jpg
    avesu7er.jpg

So is there a quick fix to remove the stain? Or do I have to do the whole strip, iron/steam out the stain to get the stocks back to a good starting point?

Alternatively I could add a coat of minwax American gunstock stain which I've found brings some red to the finish and possibly find a darker walnut stain to darken up the K31.
    Again thanks in advance for any advice you can provide.
    Kind regards from North of the Border,
    Dave

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom