Anchoring a pop-up canopy on the beach...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Anyone have any tips or recommendations on the best way to anchor one of those pop-up type canopies on the beach?

I've seen some weights (5 lbs?) that you can put around the legs and some screw-in type anchors that you can tie off to the canopy....

I'm thinking those deep screw-in type anchors might work best but I'm open to suggestions....

gsneff

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Gonzales
    I've seen something a while back for securing tents on sand. It was like tarps or sandbags that aren't fully enclosed that have eyelets that to you can secure the lines on then you fill the bag with sand to weight it down.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    I've seen something a while back for securing tents on sand. It was like tarps or sandbags that aren't fully enclosed that have eyelets that to you can secure the lines on then you fill the bag with sand to weight it down.

I tried that once....filling sand bags on the beach isn't as much fun as it sounds...:D

Kook

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    New Iberia
    mobile home anchors. Just "screw" them into the sand.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    ankle wights for working out strapped to the legs should do the trick if it's not too windy, but since it's a beach it's probably just as easy to get some screw in tie downs. You should be able to find them either for camping or if not, check the pet section.

richiespng

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Picayune, MS
    We use 5 gallon buckets to keep pop-ups from flying on movie sets. Fill them with water and dump when you are done.

This. We use water mixed with sand and they never move. Just put the legs of the canopy in the buckets and fill 1/2 - 2/3 of the way with sand and pour in some water. Works like a charm!

zivadog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have much experience with this since I used to do a lot of sea kayaking and camping from a kayak.

Just carry rope and a small folding shovel. Pick up driftwood on the beach and tie your anchor ropes around the middle of the driftwood and bury it deep. The canopy will rip to shreds in a storm before this pulls out if buried well.

paddle007

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Apr 15, 2009
    Covington
    This technique works. Bury your stick, driftwood, pipe or whatever you bury horizontally. This also applies to winching a stuck vehicle on a sand beach, even a spare tire buried in the sand can be enough anchor for a winch.
    I have much experience with this since I used to do a lot of sea kayaking and camping from a kayak.

Just carry rope and a small folding shovel. Pick up driftwood on the beach and tie your anchor ropes around the middle of the driftwood and bury it deep. The canopy will rip to shreds in a storm before this pulls out if buried well.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom