BayouShooter Ad Available
Optimum Outfitters

Thread: Anchoring a pop-up canopy on the beach...

Anchoring a pop-up canopy on the beach...

Anyone have any tips or recommendations on the best way to anchor one of those pop-up type canopies on the beach?

I've seen some weights (5 lbs?) that you can put around the legs and some screw-in type anchors that you can tie off to the canopy....

I'm thinking those deep screw-in type anchors might work best but I'm open to suggestions....

Screw in anchors with some heavy duty wire ties.

USPSA # L3344 - CRO
    Vice President - East Ascension Practical Shooters
    Board Member - Louisiana Shooting Association

Become a Site Donor or Advertiser

Quote Originally Posted by speedracer
    as long as a B-27 silhoutte breaks into your house and stands still exactly 15yds away you'll have no problem protecting yourself and your family.

Marksman

Premium Member
    I've seen something a while back for securing tents on sand. It was like tarps or sandbags that aren't fully enclosed that have eyelets that to you can secure the lines on then you fill the bag with sand to weight it down.

Quote Originally Posted by gsneff View Post
    I've seen something a while back for securing tents on sand. It was like tarps or sandbags that aren't fully enclosed that have eyelets that to you can secure the lines on then you fill the bag with sand to weight it down.
    I tried that once....filling sand bags on the beach isn't as much fun as it sounds...

mobile home anchors. Just "screw" them into the sand.

Marksman

Gold Member
    ankle wights for working out strapped to the legs should do the trick if it's not too windy, but since it's a beach it's probably just as easy to get some screw in tie downs. You should be able to find them either for camping or if not, check the pet section.

Rock out with your Glock out.

We use 5 gallon buckets to keep pop-ups from flying on movie sets. Fill them with water and dump when you are done.

Marksman
    Site Sponsor
    Quote Originally Posted by Poul D'eau View Post
    We use 5 gallon buckets to keep pop-ups from flying on movie sets. Fill them with water and dump when you are done.
    This. We use water mixed with sand and they never move. Just put the legs of the canopy in the buckets and fill 1/2 - 2/3 of the way with sand and pour in some water. Works like a charm!
    Richies Pawn & Gun
    601-798-9449
    www.richiesoutdoors.com
    Twitter: @richiespng

On Target
    I have much experience with this since I used to do a lot of sea kayaking and camping from a kayak.

Just carry rope and a small folding shovel. Pick up driftwood on the beach and tie your anchor ropes around the middle of the driftwood and bury it deep. The canopy will rip to shreds in a storm before this pulls out if buried well.

#1 Stevel Spell II fan 03protege's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spanky View Post
    Screw in anchors with some heavy duty wire ties.
    +1 They look like huge screws and they work very well.

Marksman

Premium Member
    This technique works. Bury your stick, driftwood, pipe or whatever you bury horizontally. This also applies to winching a stuck vehicle on a sand beach, even a spare tire buried in the sand can be enough anchor for a winch.
    Quote Originally Posted by zivadog View Post
    I have much experience with this since I used to do a lot of sea kayaking and camping from a kayak.

Just carry rope and a small folding shovel. Pick up driftwood on the beach and tie your anchor ropes around the middle of the driftwood and bury it deep. The canopy will rip to shreds in a storm before this pulls out if buried well.
    I'm a pistol packing vegetarian. I believe in keeping my options open.

Thanks for the tips!