Question about hunting in Louisiana wih AR15

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • alto8345

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 31, 2011
    Folsom, LA
    If i wanted to hunt in LA with my AR15.. what type of law is there for the amount of bullets in a magazine? I've heard it doesn't matter and you can't have more than 5.?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    There is no limit on the number of rounds in a rifle. Shotguns are limited to 3.

CORRECTED....

And the plug must not be able to be removed without disassembling the gun. There were some plugs available that were a replacement magazine tube cap that was redesigned to allow the capacity to be changed with a simple twist. The current wording of the regulations was to disallow to types of plugs.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Shotgun Clarification;

If hunting Migratory Game Birds you MUST have a plug in your shotgun that limits it to holding no more than three shells.

Paintball

Long live the 10mm
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2010
    Denham Springs, Louisiana
    Rounds should be soft point or hollow point and not FMJ's. Though there is no regulation against FMJ ammo at this time.

du7snm0j7mcjvfga0jj.jpg

2qsiifjdygsadxwfskwp.jpg

Shot placement is key especially with a .223 round.

My 12yr old daughter took her first deer with mine this past season.

rcvbee70sx14fqf9sfoh.jpg

Last edited:

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Rounds must be soft point or hollow point no FMJ's.

[IMGhttp://upload.bayoushooter.com/images/du7snm0j7mcjvfga0jj.jpg[/IMG]
    [IMGhttp://upload.bayoushooter.com/images/2qsiifjdygsadxwfskwp.jpg[/IMG]

Shot placement is key especially with a .223 round.

My 12yr old daughter took her first deer with mine this past season.

rcvbee70sx14fqf9sfoh.jpg

That is badass! I bet you don't have to worry about the boys messing with her! You don't even have to scare them off "cleaning your gun," you just need that picture visible when they walk in the door! :rockon:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I thought shotguns were limited to 3 rounds for any hunting.

That's what I've always heard.

This comes up every year. I'd pull up the regulations for 2011-2012, but LDWF hasn't updated the website with them yet. It only states that shotgun plugs are to be used and shotguns limited to 3 shells, while hunting waterfowl. Shell restrictions are not listed under deer or outlaw quadruped hunting. Think about it, why would they let you have a 30 rd magazine in an AR, but only three shells in your shotgun while hunting deer??? I don't remember the specifics for Turkey hunting, but I believe it is unrestricted on gun capacity as well.

Gunnut80

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Livingston
    So you can use an Eotech or Aimpoint while hunting? I have a crimson trace light/laser foregrip on my 6.8 SPC, is that legal while hunting?

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    So you can use an Eotech or Aimpoint while hunting? I have a crimson trace light/laser foregrip on my 6.8 SPC, is that legal while hunting?
    The laser is illegal. But, legal or not, a mounted light and laser would make you look real guilty when coming out of the woods at night. Besides, the laser would almost worthless for daytime hunting.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    From 2010-1011 regs
    Methods of Taking Quadrupeds & Resident Game Birds
    Shotguns larger than a 10 gauge or capable of holding more than three shells shall be prohibited. Plugs used in shotguns must be incapable of being removed without disassembly.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Wrong....lasers are perfectly legal when hunting outlawed quadrupeds at night.
    http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/outlaw-quadrupeds

I assume he was talking about hunting deer during the day light, which is illegal. This thread appears to be ablout daytime hunting, not outlaw quadruped hunting at night during the off season.

§116.1. Wild birds and wild quadrupeds; times and methods of taking; penalties
    RS 56:116.1
    (3) Take or kill any game bird or wild quadruped with a firearm fitted with any device to deaden or silence the sound of the discharge thereof; or fitted with an infrared sight, laser sight or except as provided in Paragraph (A)(8) of this Section any sighting device which projects a beam of light to the target or otherwise electronically illuminates the target, or device specifically designed to enhance vision at night; or with or by means of an automatic loading or hand operated repeating shotgun capable of holding more than three shells. Any shotgun capable of holding more than three shells shall be plugged with a one-piece filler incapable of removal through the loading end, so as to reduce the capacity of the gun to not more than three shells at one loading.

A(8) Use of a laser sight or sighting device which projects a beam of light to the target only by a person holding a physically challenged hunter permit, as authorized in R.S. 56:104.1, who has the impairment of visual functioning even after treatment and/or standard refractive correction, and has a visual acuity of equal to or less than 20/200 to light perception, or a visual field of less than ten degree from the point of fixation, as certified by a Louisiana licensed optometrist or ophthalmologist. Such hunter shall be accompanied by another licensed hunter and only the person holding the physically challenged hunter permit may discharge the firearm.

http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=104867

Last edited:

Gunnut80

Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    Livingston
    Thanks guys, I don't intend to hunt at night or ever have to use it at all while hunting , but the verticle grip is comfortable for me. I just want to be legal if I decide to take it out hunting.

Top Bottom