Home Defense Foundation of New Orleans
Jim's Firearms

Thread: Mossberg Maverick at Academy - $179.99

Swamp Stalker

Silver Member

Mossberg Maverick at Academy - $179.99

Academy marked their Mossberg Maverick bolt-action rifles down from 249.99 to 179.99. Don't know what calibers they come in, but who cares. They are $179.99!!
    "Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!!"

I'm swinging by in just a bit, I'll take a look and see what calibers they have. Mixed reviews online, but mostly positive. And for $179 who cares!

Also, Monarch steel 9mm is on sale for $7.99.

The Maverick is a hell of a lot of shotgun for that little bit of money. The only difference between it and it's pricier brother, the 500, is the location of the safety. If you plan to go tactical home defense with it, the Maverick is a far better platform than the 500, purely because of the safety, especially when using a pistol grip.

I have 2 with Super Skeet chokes and they work great when we pull out the trap and clays.

I'd jump on the AA deal, buy by the case, with 4 cases you get a $100 mail in rebate. I already have 1000 AA's in the garage, and I don't go through them all that fast, so I'm gonna pass this time.

Stay away from the $4.99 Monarch .223. It's terrible, just fills up the AR bolt with trash from the casings. I was having to clean mine every 4 mags, and I have a piston AR

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by RyanW View Post

Stay away from the $4.99 Monarch .223. It's terrible, just fills up the AR bolt with trash from the casings. I was having to clean mine every 4 mags, and I have a piston AR
    Was that all from the same batch? I put a couple hundreds rounds of it through mine with no issues.

At Academy...the Mavericks are available in .30-06 and I believe .243 fullsize and .223 and .270 in a youth version. Seem decent, if they had a .308 I'd be bringing one home.

The Maverick is a hell of a lot of shotgun for that little bit of money. The only difference between it and it's pricier brother, the 500, is the location of the safety. If you plan to go tactical home defense with it, the Maverick is a far better platform than the 500, purely because of the safety, especially when using a pistol grip.
    It's not the Maverick shotgun, its a Maverick Bolt action Rifle

Gold Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan View Post
    Also, AA shotgun ammo is $5.49/box with a $2 mail in rebate..... that is a heck of a deal, $3.49 for a box of shotgun shells.
    At Academy?? How many boxes can you buy at a time with the deal?

~Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man
    and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it,
    never really care for anything else thereafter~ Ernest Hemingway

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitman View Post
    At Academy?? How many boxes can you buy at a time with the deal?
    i was wrong, its 5.49 after mail in rebate.

Marksman
    Quote Originally Posted by stancel View Post
    Academy marked their Mossberg Maverick bolt-action rifles down from 249.99 to 179.99. Don't know what calibers they come in, but who cares. They are $179.99!!
    243 and 270

Quote Originally Posted by bravo3 View Post
    It's not the Maverick shotgun, its a Maverick Bolt action Rifle
    D'oh! completely glazed over that part lol

Quote Originally Posted by f350drvr View Post
    Was that all from the same batch? I put a couple hundreds rounds of it through mine with no issues.
    I bought every round they had a couple weeks ago. I still have one box left, but I can't find a batch number anywhere. The lacquer was chipping off the whole time and it seemed the ejector was chewing up casings as well. I completely cleane dthe gun and shot UMC, and then shot Federal and Winchester and no had debris buildup. Only with the Monarch was causing issues. It shot well and didn't nasty up the barrel or anything, just the coating sucked. But hey, it's $.25 a shot, what do you expect lol

***edit***
    left out the "NO" before buildup, corrected and now it makes sense.
    Last edited by RyanW; August 7th, 2011 at 11:39 AM.

Marksman
    I bought every round they had a couple weeks ago. I still have one box left, but I can't find a batch number anywhere. The lacquer was chipping off the whole time and it seemed the ejector was chewing up casings as well. I completely cleane dthe gun and shot UMC, and then shot Federal and Winchester and had debris buildup. Only with the Monarch was causing issues. It shot well and didn't nasty up the barrel or anything, just the coating sucked. But hey, it's $.25 a shot, what do you expect lol
    Thanks, I havent bought any in a while, the boxes I picked up were probably 1-2 years old. I have been buying silver bear lately so I guess I will stick with that vs. Monarch.

I'm kind of a big deal

Premium Member
    Is the .223 rifle only available in the youth model?

Not sure about the 223, but I found the 30.06. No where does it say youth model on the interwebz. The add in the paper did though. The length of pull they list is 13.25" which is between the normal youth and adult size. I don't even see the 223 online. They do have the 270 & 243

http://www.academy.com/webapp/wcs/st...139+4294958148
    Guns are like the ladies, even the pretty ones like to get dirty now and then

Who knows, I didn't lay eyes on the .223, that's just what the guy behind the counter said. And we all know they aren't exactly known for knowing what they are talking about.

Marksman
    I saw this deal in the paper and went to get one. I was looking for a .308, but for that price I was willing to get a .270. I have seen some hit or miss reviews of this rifle but I was going to give it a try. When I got there I was in for a suprise. They had a Stevens 200 in .270 on clearance for 158! I have heard nothing but good reviews on these rifles (Savage products in general). So I bought the last two. Sorry boys but I had to get while the gettin was good. Also picked up a Nikon 3-9x40 scope (without BDC) for $99, regular $159. For the money I don't think you can beat Stevens/Savage or Nikon. However, I have been wanting to get my hands on a Marlin XS7

Swamp Stalker

Silver Member
    I can tell you first hand that the Marlin XS7 is a excellent gun for the money. I loved the trigger.
    "Shop Smart. Shop S-Mart!!"

Marksman
    i picked up one of the mavericks in 30-06. Hopefully this weekend ill get a chance to shoot it(still need a scope for it). For the price however i cant see any problems with it. The finish on the synthetic stock is about the only flaw ive seen. And its just a matter of some flashing left around the the trigger guard that was easily removed.

The nikon scope you speak of was at academy? I know cabelas has the same ones on sale for that price, but academy is a lot closer

Marksman
    @ stancel I wanted one of those Marlins so bad, but I didn't jump on it quick enough when they first came out at $189. Now they are nearly impossible to find, especially in short action.

@ CaptainMorgan Academy has them, at least they did last week. The one on Siegen had just got some in when I bought mine.

I picked up a 30-06 Maverick and had the $50 Nikon Prostaff that I got off here to put on it.
    I'll ahve to go shoot it this weekend along with the Marlin 338 and Ruger 358.
    Not a bad deal on the Maverick for 196 out the door.