federal flite control 00 buckshot

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    i have a few mossberg 500 huntin 12ga shotguns. they have mod choke. the best 2 3/4 00 buckshot patterns i got at 25 yards was with some remington. i didn't measure the pattern but i can guess it was in the 20+ inch range. for in the house sd that might be good cause range would be much less and pattern much tighter. i did buy an improved cylinder for one of my 500s but never tried it yet.

i plan on deer and hog hunting and wanted to use my 500 but i don't know, the patterns spread too much it seems. i would like to take a shot at 25 to 50 yards. plus i do keep a 500 in my truck and thats outdoors, a sd situation could go to 25 and 50 yard ranges. i would rather hide from a bad guy if im 50 yards away but you never know.

i just want the ability to reach out with 00 buckshot. would the federal flite control do this well? at least give me good tight patterns at 25 yards? i found some at midway:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=691137

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Each shotgun is different, of course. And it's always important to make that standard disclaimer before getting into specifics.

The Federal Flite Control is outstanding for your intended purpose. I patterned it out of my 18.5" 870 with cylinder bore "choke" (stupid door breaching muzzle device), and got about 6" at 15-20 yards. Yes, you read that correctly. At 8-10 yards, it punches one ragged hole.

There are reports of holding man sized silhouettes with all 9 pellets out of similar guns-- at 50 yards!

The wad is obviously the key factor in this performance, but the copper plated pellets also retain their shape in flight and allow for much more consistency.

Some folks, with the Hollywood image of not having to aim a shotgun at home defense distances, have decided that it patterns too tightly for their tastes. YMMV of course-- but it's an awesome load nonetheless.

Last edited:

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    yea, i just found out about the flite control federal. very odd its not more popular. it doesn't even cost more. i remember my brother talking about a deer drive they where on and he had to keep loading and shooting a buck 10+ times. a 6" group sound perfect to me.

Pigfish73

Brass Junkie!
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2010
    Ft. Worth, TX
    The Federal Flight Control is fantastic. I have switched several agencies from other buckshot to this stuff. It throws a great pattern in just about every shotgun I've tetsted. There is a civilian version (if you can't buy the LE) of it for home defense (can't remember the name), but it has the flite control logo on the box.

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Each gun is certainly different. But, hands down, the FFC held unbelievable patterns in all guns that I saw were shooting it during the Magpul class earlier this year.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    From a cylinder bore 590A1 I was able to get all 8 pellets from the 8-pellet reduced recoil FFC load into under 12" at 40 yards. However, with my Benelli M4 using even an IC choke, FFC does not do well at all. It likes NO choke. NONE. If you run with with no choke, it will impress!

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Had my Maverick 18 in barell threaded and used a xtra full choke on it w/ Federal Flite Control.

40 - 50 yds is consistent with all or most in 24 x 24 poster board...not a dramatic difference in other ammo though, thats a real tight gun like it is.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    From a cylinder bore 590A1 I was able to get all 8 pellets from the 8-pellet reduced recoil FFC load into under 12" at 40 yards. However, with my Benelli M4 using even an IC choke, FFC does not do well at all. It likes NO choke. NONE. If you run with with no choke, it will impress!

I've heard that before as well, in regards to IC and tighter. Interesting to have someone with first hand experience.

How much did it start opening up on you?

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I've heard that before as well, in regards to IC and tighter. Interesting to have someone with first hand experience.

How much did it start opening up on you?

With a MOD choke, I got patterns the size of my hand at 15 yards. At 20 yards, the pattern was off of a piece of typing paper.
    With an IC choke, results were extended by 5 yards, but by 40 yards, the pattern was well off of a 16x24" poster-board.
    With Hornady TAP, which uses a similar but not identical wad, although it's function is the same, at 25 yards patterns were horrible with a MOD choke, and at 35 yards, a skinny person would receive no damage half the time if fired upon.

In contrast, from the 590a1 (cylinder bore) I fired it from, the pattern was under 12" at 40 yards.

However, my testing with the M4S90 involved 9-pellet full-power, and the 590a1 was tested with 8-pellet, reduced recoil.

One should take into account that Benelli uses a smaller ID bore than most others. So what mucks up performance in a Benelli, might well not in a Remington or FN. It's not the constriction gradient that destroys FC patterns, but over-all ID of the barrel at its narrowest point, which serves to increase drag on the wad, possibly (opinion) slowing it sooner than intended, or deforming the shot. I am not sure which, or if both. That last is opinion.

Last edited:

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    man, i can't find federal flight control in any stores or midway.

Jeaux E

TROMIX Fan
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 6, 2007
    Little Rock
    I use the Federal FliteControl 00 Buck in my 10" TROMIX SBS........
    At 25 yards, it patterns at 8"........
    Like it a lot !!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Lyle.lejeune2017
    Top Bottom