Krav Maga

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • camelspider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Hammond
    Anyone ever take formal training in krav maga? I've done BJJ, Muay Thai and boxing since 2004, but am looking at branching off into other avenues. From what I have seen on videos of it, it looks like a style that is taught to be extremely aggressive for offensiveness and counter-attacks and takes a lot after bjj, and boxing and Muay thai strikes along with some other neat techniques.

icetraxx

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 30, 2011
    Denham Springs
    I've taken a couple of classes. It is exactly that. I had to stop due to timing issues. There is certified Krav teacher right off the interstate in Denham Springs. There are some in the classes that participate in MMA and their exp ranges from beginner to experienced. The website is http://www.dsamartialarts.com

Red Ryder

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Go try Krav and decide for yourself with Jason Dendy at his Denham Springs location. Not for the squemish or unmotivated. To learn it is to love it.

crippy02

Woodsman and Father
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Saint Francisville
    Go try Krav and decide for yourself with Jason Dendy at his Denham Springs location. Not for the squemish or unmotivated. To learn it is to inject yourself with heavy doses of BAMF.

Fixed it for you.

I've seen this stuff before, it's what Israel teaches their commandos, so, yeah, it's pretty badass...

Mickeynight3

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2011
    The guy in Denham Springs is teaching Krav, but he is not certified. The guy in Hammond is certified. You can look on kravmaga.com and get a list of certified instructor locations.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Anyone ever take formal training in krav maga? I've done BJJ, Muay Thai and boxing since 2004, but am looking at branching off into other avenues. From what I have seen on videos of it, it looks like a style that is taught to be extremely aggressive for offensiveness and counter-attacks and takes a lot after bjj, and boxing and Muay thai strikes along with some other neat techniques.

I had a friend in highschool that did Krav Maga and had a very accomplished instructor.

From what I saw, you are right, it focuses on quickly overwhelming an opponent with violent attacks. Even the "blocks" in Krav Maga use the elbow and other "hard" style maneuvers to cause damage even while protecting yourself. It is primarily a hard-style, but does incorporate some "soft" moves as well, usually re-direction of force for the purpose of inflicting maximum impact in the counter-attack.

I did My Jhong Law Horn and Karate, and am contemplating Muay Thai, but if there were a Krav Maga dojo local to me, THAT would be the art I would take. It's not a sport, it's a combat technique. I think you will really like it and a person like you should be able to benefit greatly from it (as opposed to little johnny who's mother wants an alternative to Little League. Sure, he can have some fun, but you need to be serious to get the most out of an art like this).

It's a great art, and if you were to do only 2 things, I think BJJ and Krav Maga would create a VERY well-balanced fighter.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Unfurtunetly many people confusse a Self-Protection art such as Krav-Maga/Raw Combat with Self-Perfection arts which are the traditional ones that require years of training and have some sort of ranking or belt system.

Self-protection is design to deliver exactly what you are looking for, quick without much BS and effective

I also wish there was somebody local in my area, instead of the mom and pop traditional dojos

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'm currently taking Tang Soo Do, and from the little I've seen on Krav, it seems like the thing it does better than traditional martial arts is focuses on mindset and conditioning. The krav "toolbox" and the TSD "toolbox" is very similar - but Krav teaches it with a much more aggressive philosophy than Tang Soo Do.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Unfurtunetly many people confusse a Self-Protection art such as Krav-Maga/Raw Combat with Self-Perfection arts which are the traditional ones that require years of training and have some sort of ranking or belt system.

Self-protection is design to deliver exactly what you are looking for, quick without much BS and effective

I also wish there was somebody local in my area, instead of the mom and pop traditional dojos

Yep, most of the blackbelts that visited my Shaolin dojo from arts like TKD, etc. were weaksauce. Total belt-factory products. That seems like what most people want, though, and so thats what is usually provided. They looked real pretty running their forms and stretching and all that, but smash one of them in the face and they freeze up or go down like a sack of potatoes.

Company Man

Teufel Hunden
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    134   0   0
    Jan 25, 2010
    Kentwood
    My son did BJJ, then moved on to Krav Maga in Denham Springs.
    He loves it and his confidence has risen as his abilities.
    One of the local law enforcement officers learned it the hard way in class when he got choked down by a 16 year old.
    Whole class was yelling "officer down!"

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Just like Glocks and 1911s, everyone has a favorite and tons of stories.

After over 30 years in martial arts I will say this.

If there was ONE, all encompassing, best thing since sliced bread system out there, then all of the other systems and styles would be gone!

And that hasn't happened.

Each style has its own positives and negatives.

Regardless of which you like, you have to learn to crawl before you walk.

There is no style out there that will give you the instant gratification some of you so desperately want.

It is the individual person that you have to focus on.
    And that person's ability to learn and absorb at technique and style.

Now many of the traditional arts are just as good as these newer arts.
    Again, it all depends on the person.

I will say this as an absolute:

If you have to sign a big dollar contract, buy all your gear from your instructor, and pay high test fees, you need to keep looking!

Red Ryder

Enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I think they still offer a free trial lesson.

(Echoing Bayoupiper)

Just try it out. If you like it, continue. If you dont like it; find something else.

Just like any fitness or martial arts program, you will get out of it exactly what you put into it.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Any school worth their salt will allow you to watch and probably participate before you decide.

And for what it's worth, I hear good things about the KM school in Metairie.

dangerousdon

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Denham Springs, LA
    I did Krav Maga out in Hammond for about six months with, I think it was called, Myers Family Karate and was very pleased. I had to stop because driving to Hammond from BR was putting a hurt on my gas budget (that and a deployment to Afghanistan puts a halt on things pretty quick). But I was very please with the way things were managed. They are not belt driven at all in the Krav Maga program and the techniques are highly adaptable to a person's body type, size weight, gender, etc. A few years ago I wanted to get back into it and saw the place out in Denham. I went to check the place out and the guy who ran it basically told me that while he went to the training for Krav Maga he is no longer affiliated with them and teaches his own thing. I wasn't impressed needless to say. Hey maybe that has changed, I don't know. You should probably check him out and decide for yourself if his place is right for you. My experience with Krav Maga is it's a no nonsense martial arts that gives what you put into it. If you want to have sparing matches and competition, Krav Maga probably isn't for you.

Top Bottom