Blade review, Benchmade MiniBarrage assisted opening.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Also picked this one up via an abnormal deal. This is a tip up carry knife with a pocket clip swappable for left or right hand carry. Again, this blade uses the axis lock. This one locks up very tight and feels very strong. The liners are very thick and makes the knife a little heavier, and also makes it feel very solid. The assisted opening is awsome. It opens with a quick flick of the thumb stud, or with a quick flip of the wrist while pulling the axis lock down. There is a lock on the back about 1/3 of the distance from the blade that is easily engaged/disengaged with either thumb or index finger. I have not had an accidental opening when not using the safety. Much like the Kershaw speedsafe, the torsion bar also holds the blade closed. Closing the blade requires pushing it to rest against the spring. It cannot be flipped closed like the manual folders with the axis lock. Care must be taken as if it does not completely close, it will spring back open.

The blade is stubbier than, say, the Leek, and thicker. There is very good belly to it with a long straight edge to very near the handle. The drop point blade should mean for a very strong tip. The 154CM steel came very very sharp, and should hold that edge well like all other benchmades i have had.

The plastic scales have some grooving, but still get a little slippery with water/sweat. It grips the pocket ok with the clip, and removes easily. It does not have any jimping either on the back of the handle or on the bottom. That addition would make it a nearly perfect blade. It is quite comfortable to use and carry. The size (roughly spyderco delica, but thicker) is nice. It fits well into pocket, maybe slightly on the thick side, but makes up for that in comfort to use. It is not so large that it impedes the ability to reach things in the pocket, but may be too large when pocket carrying a mouse pistol.

Overall, i do like this knife alot. I got it by accident and am glad i did now. It will see normal use, starting now as my EDC for awhile.

fc71936ecklfezzcp9nq.jpg
    zw3sfe171srzwhhgj9li.jpg

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Absolutely love mine as an edc utility knife. I use it about every day to open boxes.

One note, the thumb stud is longer on one side and will hook the seam of the pocket when coming out and open up like a wave cut blade.

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Interesting mine appear same on both sides (without actually measuring). Tried a few times to make it open like a wave, but won't catch on my pants just right. Too close to handle and too low to catch.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I have the 580 and love it. I haven't noticed that the studs were different.

It seems to me a totally different knife than the Leek. The blades are a lot different.

YMMV
    :eh:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Bump. Just an update after carrying this blade for a few months now. Used to cut ropes, carve out wood to access valve handles, cut up onions and peppers and meat for food prep, cleaned dead animals, scraped paint, scored aluminum, cut wire ties and once, in a pinch, cut wire. It's still extremely sharp and functions just like new with only the occasional soap and water cleaning. I have oiled it once when it got a little slow, prolly from dirt in it.

Still an excellent blade and still a favorite to carry daily for me. Enough that I'm considering selling a couple other knives and replacing with mini barrages if BM makes that blade. I may swap my mini grips blade into it ifmitsmpossiblenthough cause the point is a little wide. The mini grip is a finer tip is what I like about it. I want this action more though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom