WWII Japanese Type 99 Last Ditch Rifle, Late 1944, (Firing Pin Filed Down / Non-Firing). Type = Bolt-Action Rifle / Place of origin = Empire of Japan / Service history = 1939-1945 / Wars = Second Sino-Japanese War, World War II, Korean War, Indonesian National Revolution / Designed = 1939 / Produced = 1939–1945 / Number built = Around 3.5 million / Weight = 8.16 lb (3.7 kg) / Length = 44.1 in (1120 mm) / Barrel length = 25.87 in (657 mm) / Cartridge = 7.7 x 58mm Arisaka / Action = Bolt action / Muzzle velocity = 730 m/s (2394 ft/s) / Feed system = 5-round internal box magazine, stripper clip / During the Second Sino-Japanese War in the 1930s, the Japanese soon found that the 8×57mm IS cartridge the Chinese used was superior to the 6.5×50mm cartridge of the Type 38 rifle, necessitating the development of a new weapon to replace the outclassed Type 38. The Imperial Japanese Army (IJA) developed the Type 99 based on the Type 38 rifle but with a caliber of 7.7mm. The Type 99 was produced at nine different factories. Seven factories were located in Japan, with the other two located at Mukden in China and Jinsen in Korea. The IJA had intended to completely replace the Type 38 with the Type 99 by the end of the war. However, the outbreak of the Pacific war never allowed the army to completely replace the Type 38 and so the IJA used both rifles during the war. As the war progressed, more and more cost saving steps were introduced in order to speed up production. Late war rifles are often called 'Last Ditch' or 'Substitute Standard' due to their crudeness of finish. They are generally as crude as the 1945 dated Mauser K98k of Germany. The Type 99 was produced in four versions, the regular issue Type 99 Short Rifle, the Type 99 Long Rifle (a limited production variant) and takedown Type 2 Paratroop Rifle and the Sniper Rifle Type 99. The standard rifle also came with a wire monopod and an anti-aircraft sighting device. The Type 99 was the first mass produced infantry rifle to have a chrome lined bore to ease cleaning. All of these features were abandoned by mid-war. Sold for $100 on 09/16/2011.