Im having tire problems with the Genesis Onyx 29" Cruiser Bicycle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-Onyx- ... iewedItems

thats the exact bike and price i paid at a wal mart store. i bought it in june or july of this year. i enjoyed riding it very much. but a couple weeks ago i noticed the tires where full of dry rot cracks. now the back tube has a big hole and the tire itself is splitting apart. the tires seem very cheaply made and i feel ripped off. i think im pass the wal mart return policy. for $150 i expected better. should i call the manufacturer for a free replacement or would that be a waste of time?

so 4 months of riding 6 miles 2 times a week. is that really the life expectancy of a bicycle tire?? the name brand on the tire is PONELY. the numbers are (57-622) 29 x 2.125 and its 40 psi.

any ideas where i can order tires and tubes that will last but not cost almost as much as the bike itself($150)?

also this bike had a big sign about how its aluminum but i found rust under the fenders already.

or should i just look for a cheaper huffy single speed cruiser with the smaller, cheaper tires?

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    ok whats a good bike shop to visit in baton rouge? im wondering if i can fit something like huffy 26" rims on this bike.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    well thanks for all the help, all 45 of you. i can imagine bicycle shops are there only to scam. i'll just buy a huffy cruiser at walmart for $89 and hope it last a year. then buy a new one when needed. thanks for nothing.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I would think any bicycle shop is better than Walmart. If your $150 walmart bike fell apart, how much better of a bike do you think you will get for half that price? Just go buy 2 new tires and tubes for the bike and be done with it.

topgunz1

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Sep 13, 2006
    Prairieville
    I went to a bike shop and the most affordable thing they could show me was $400+. Bad thing is, except for big box stores and high-dollar shops, you can't really find bikes online. How is it I can buy a car from across the country and get it delivered to my house, but I cant get a damn bicycle?

I can't see how tires and tubes for your bike can cost that much, tons of bike parts stores online.

Tx_oil

Tx_oil
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Youngsville
    My wife and both bought Electra cruiser bikes online, had them shipped to Lafayette and assembled by Acadiana Bicycles.
    Electra is the best cruiser type bike I've ever seen, and no, they arent a $100 Walmart bike, but buy quality once and enjoy years of service.
    100_2220.jpg

100_2223.jpg

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    I'm diggn' those bikes Tx, the whitewalls are sublime.

Sloppy joe, take Tx advice and save for a nice bike. I went through a similar process when I was in college in the '90's. Tried to get away with buying walmart bikes to get around and just wore them out. I bit the bullet and bought a GT tequesta with a WTB package in 1998 from a bike shop. Alll I've had to replace are my tubes since then.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    You get what you pay for. A $150 Walmart bike is probably nicer than a $50 Walmart bike, but still far from a good bike. Even so, tires and tubes are easily replaced, and are part of regular bike maintenance anyway.

I'd recommend skipping Walmart and buy a used quality bike off of Craigslist. I've seen tons of very nice Trek, etc bikes on there in the $150 range, and they are leaps and bounds better than any of the crap Walmart sells.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Genesis-Onyx- ... iewedItems

thats the exact bike and price i paid at a wal mart store. i bought it in june or july of this year. i enjoyed riding it very much. but a couple weeks ago i noticed the tires where full of dry rot cracks. now the back tube has a big hole and the tire itself is splitting apart. the tires seem very cheaply made and i feel ripped off. i think im pass the wal mart return policy. for $150 i expected better. should i call the manufacturer for a free replacement or would that be a waste of time?

so 4 months of riding 6 miles 2 times a week. is that really the life expectancy of a bicycle tire?? the name brand on the tire is PONELY. the numbers are (57-622) 29 x 2.125 and its 40 psi.

any ideas where i can order tires and tubes that will last but not cost almost as much as the bike itself($150)?

also this bike had a big sign about how its aluminum but i found rust under the fenders already.or should i just look for a cheaper huffy single speed cruiser with the smaller, cheaper tires?

This thread is old. But anyway you do realize that aluminum does rust, the only reason your fenders rusted before the frame is because your frame is coated. Also, frame material is what you saw advertised and the fenders are likely made of lower grade material (probably still aluminum in this case). You can only expect so much from a $150 bike and should expect much less from a $90 bike. If you honestly want a bike that will last a few years you're loooking at spending at least $300 at Dick's, Academy or a local bike shop. There's Capital Cyclery, Pedal Play and Mid City Bikes. I got my wife a pretty nice 3G singlespeed cruiser from Mid City for about $350. I won't tell you how much I spend on my bikes ;). Electra's are the **** as far as cruisers go but they are pricey but will last 10+ years.

If you just want to get new tires, you should be able to get away with spending under $40...don't go getting nice tires for the POS bike.

If you don't like rust, keep any exposed metal oiled.

DOLIVAS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    My onyx 29er

b.jpg.
    I can't find the tubes anywhere. But I'm getting over 100 ± miles to the tank.it will b up for sale soon. I'm still customizing it as I go. Tail lights front lights are fog lights.70cc Moter kit and more

Last edited:

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    wow thread still here. i had to give up this hobby cause there is no safe place to ride a bicycle in my area.

december 26 2011 i was riding a bicycle on a street, wet road and drizzle, this kid horsing around in his pickup starts fish tailing and heads straight toward me real fast. i jumped off right before his pickup hit my bike and threw it 50+ yards. no doubt i would be dead or wish i was if he hit me.

when i jumped, i stumbled across the street and fell into a ditch. he stopped after side swiping a light pole. at this moment i wasn't sure whats going on, is he trying to kill me? cause he was fishtailing for at least a couple hundred yards then the truck straightened up and came directly for me on my side of the road. i hid behind some tall grass and another light pole with my glock 19 at the ready. i can't express how glad i was to have it.

so i waited till he came out of the truck. i didn't see a weapon and he asked if i was alright. so i put the glock in my back pocket and came out. i said "hell no im not alright", grabbed the cell phone with my off hand and called 911, gave them his plate number. he gets mad and starts punching his truck and screaming. i say "calm the f down boy!" then he leaves. cops found him. i got $2,600 from his insurance. i had no injuries besides mental distress which was 100% true and i mentioned it to the agent. i really was quite jumpy around vehicles/roads for a while.

Scott.Thornton

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    Denham Area
    wow thread still here. i had to give up this hobby cause there is no safe place to ride a bicycle in my area.

december 26 2011 i was riding a bicycle on a street, wet road and drizzle, this kid horsing around in his pickup starts fish tailing and heads straight toward me real fast. i jumped off right before his pickup hit my bike and threw it 50+ yards. no doubt i would be dead or wish i was if he hit me.

when i jumped, i stumbled across the street and fell into a ditch. he stopped after side swiping a light pole. at this moment i wasn't sure whats going on, is he trying to kill me? cause he was fishtailing for at least a couple hundred yards then the truck straightened up and came directly for me on my side of the road. i hid behind some tall grass and another light pole with my glock 19 at the ready. i can't express how glad i was to have it.

so i waited till he came out of the truck. i didn't see a weapon and he asked if i was alright. so i put the glock in my back pocket and came out. i said "hell no im not alright", grabbed the cell phone with my off hand and called 911, gave them his plate number. he gets mad and starts punching his truck and screaming. i say "calm the f down boy!" then he leaves. cops found him. i got $2,600 from his insurance. i had no injuries besides mental distress which was 100% true and i mentioned it to the agent. i really was quite jumpy around vehicles/roads for a while.

Damn, that sucks and glad he stopped at least. Also a great story to point out that we need to carry at all times, it just makes sense.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    This thread is old. But anyway you do realize that aluminum does rust, the only reason your fenders rusted before the frame is because your frame is coated. Also, frame material is what you saw advertised and the fenders are likely made of lower grade material (probably still aluminum in this case).

If you don't like rust, keep any exposed metal oiled.

I don't understand this. What are you talking about?

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Sorry, I meant aluminum does oxidize. Although it's not as detrimental as steel rust. I thought the OP may have found the oxidation unsightly. I highly doubt cheap bike frames are anodized. If he did see proper (steel) rust, it's likely the fenders weren't aluminum.

Top Bottom