Reloading 255 gr. lead bullets in .45 Long Colt

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I've got 50 ready to be charged. I have 255 gr Hornandy lead cowboy bullets. The Powders I have available are Unique and Power Pistol. Both manuels agree that Unique seems to be the more effective for his round. My Hornandy 7th manuel says the MAXIMUM Unique load is 7.0 grains. My Speer Manuel #14 for the same lead bullet weight (different bullet configuration hardcast) says the STARTING LOAD for Unique is 7.7 grains and the maximum is 8.5.

Is it safe to use the loading data from the Speer manuel?

The gun I will generally be using is a Uberti Schofield 7 inch in .45 Long Colt

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    I've got 50 ready to be charged. I have 255 gr Hornandy lead cowboy bullets. The Powders I have available are Unique and Power Pistol. Both manuels agree that Unique seems to be the more effective for his round. My Hornandy 7th manuel says the MAXIMUM Unique load is 7.0 grains. My Speer Manuel #14 for the same lead bullet weight (different bullet configuration hardcast) says the STARTING LOAD for Unique is 7.7 grains and the maximum is 8.5.

Is it safe to use the loading data from the Speer manuel?

The gun I will generally be using is a Uberti Schofield 7 inch in .45 Long Colt

There is really no reason to use a MAX load in the Schofield so you might want to use something in the middle to reach about 800fps

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    Did I mention that this is a modern made Uberti Schofield that, to my understanding, has a beefier open top mechanism?

I don't plan on putting super hot rod .45 Long Colt through this every day, just some max loads for woods carry and easy loads for shooting.

I'd ust like to know if the Speer manuel info is safe

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    Did I mention that this is a modern made Uberti Schofield that, to my understanding, has a beefier open top mechanism?

I don't plan on putting super hot rod .45 Long Colt through this every day, just some max loads for woods carry and easy loads for shooting.

I'd ust like to know if the Speer manuel info is safe

I was not questioning the strength of the Uberti. I have had a pair of Schofields. I was just meaning that there is really no real reason to hotrod the gun. I use a Speers manual and have never had a problem with their loads.....even their max loads.

That said.....since you are using a Hornady bullet why not go with Hornady's load data?

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    I'd use no more than 8gr. The cowboy bullets are probably soft lead and you don't want to lead up the bore. 7grs is probably a better load and you can increase it a little to see what is more accurate.
    I know a guy that shot a deer during opening weekend up north using a Taurus Circuit Judge rifle and the Federal 225gr HP factory loads. It seemed to do the trick even though that rifle is not that accurate especially with the long freebore in the 410 sized chamber.
    I think he shot it around 25 yards.

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    well, I'm just wondering: is there something about the speer bullet that's different from the Hornandy bullet that I'm not realizing?

Both appear to be lead. One is listed as hardcast SWC, the other is listed as lead "cowboy" but they both are lead based and of same bullet weight.
    I don't want to cause a pressure problem that will damage my gun...or my person

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I went ahead and loaded a box of 50 with 6.8 grains of Unique.

I also loaded an additional round with the same AND a 200 gr LSWC Speer round with 8.5 grains of Unique. Took both rounds out and put them both through my Uberti Schofield....I was surprised. I didn't feel one bit of difference. Even though the Speer round was a slightly lighter bullet, it still had a good deal more of powder behind it, but I couldn't feel any difference.

Top Bottom