I'm not North Korean, I'm South Korean!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    In my experience with speaking to people of Asian decent, they seem to be very sensitive about people remembering what specific race they are, or will even expect you do know just by looking at them.

I'm sorry, I do not keep a catalog of info on everyone I meet, and though each country will have certain characteristics in common, they are not 100% accurate. Besides, most of the Asians a lot of people see are on tv or in movies, where the actor doesn't have to be the race of the person they are playing.

The last time this happened, the girl was Taiwanese. She asked me a question and I replied "Aye" and she thought I said "Hai" and said I'M NOT JAPANESE!

Jeezum.

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    I can sometimes get the nationality correct with Asians. Around here there are a good bit of Viet and a small group of Chinese.

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    Latino folks are the same way, don't dare call someone who isn't from Mexico a Mexican, they tend not to like that. :o

I don't think we should be expected to know, but I almost see where they are coming from. They look down on other cultures just like we do, so it can be almost insulting to them to get it wrong. Kinda like if someone called me a Canadian. Not cool. Not cool at all!

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Their just asian to me.... same goes for just looking at a white person in america I would assume they are american not australian, european, or canadian....

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    White people can be that way too you Yankee.

Ok, then, um, Oriole.

I'm assuming we're calling each other a mascot from a MLB team?

It doesn't matter what non Asians do some of the time. This is a thread about what Asians, in my experience, do a large % of the time. That is why I am talking about it, not because they do it some of the time, as in, they lead the way in this topic.

But thanks for playing, Tiger/Club/Marlin :p

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    In my experience with speaking to people of Asian decent, they seem to be very sensitive about people remembering what specific race they are, or will even expect you do know just by looking at them.

I'm sorry, I do not keep a catalog of info on everyone I meet, and though each country will have certain characteristics in common, they are not 100% accurate. Besides, most of the Asians a lot of people see are on tv or in movies, where the actor doesn't have to be the race of the person they are playing.

The last time this happened, the girl was Taiwanese. She asked me a question and I replied "Aye" and she thought I said "Hai" and said I'M NOT JAPANESE!

Jeezum.

An apology would be appropriate. Flowers might help.

leVieux

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    New Orleans
    Yes, I have a physician-friend who is 100% ethnic Mandarin Chinese, native of Mexico, 6'4", speaks with a slight Texas accent.

Another friend is ethnic Chinese, from a South Korean Family.

Some of the Viets look like Koreans to me. I also have a Viet friend who is about 6'1", built like a fullback.

What is so funny is to watch who these guys will and won't date ! Even the guys who are 100% USA American natives.

Yes, confusing !

leV

Last edited:

asianak

Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I get that all the time. I'm Korean but people will either say I'm samoan or ask if I'm from Hawaii. I guess it because I'm 6'3 and about 265. It use to offend me but it doesn't now, I just laugh about it.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Just for exercise can anyone guess this guys ethnicity ?? Think of this as sensitivity training

Hillbilly.png
    [/IMG]

Praesul Presul

On Target.....Sometimes
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Western KY
    Latino folks are the same way, don't dare call someone who isn't from Mexico a Mexican, they tend not to like that. :o

I don't think we should be expected to know, but I almost see where they are coming from. They look down on other cultures just like we do, so it can be almost insulting to them to get it wrong. Kinda like if someone called me a Canadian. Not cool. Not cool at all!

Yeah try calling a Columbian "Mexican" sometime.

LongGoneDays

Mine. Not yours.
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Shreveport, LA
    I get that all the time. I'm Korean but people will either say I'm samoan or ask if I'm from Hawaii. I guess it because I'm 6'3 and about 265. It use to offend me but it doesn't now, I just laugh about it.

I horrified my mom when I was 7 by asking the manager at a Chinese restaurant if he was really Chinese or just Mexican.
    He looked a lot more our Mexican neighbors than the only Asian people I had ever met a the time. (who were actually Korean I found out later)

He got a kick out of it though.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    I horrified my mom when I was 7 by asking the manager at a Chinese restaurant if he was really Chinese or just Mexican.
    He looked a lot more our Mexican neighbors than the only Asian people I had ever met a the time. (who were actually Korean I found out later)

He got a kick out of it though.

If you go to the Chinese restaurants in Sulphur and Lame Charles Mexican IS the staff

Top Bottom