Question about cable modem

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    Is it possible to run two routers off all of one cable line in your house? My house is two stories and I was wondering imif it would be possible and if it would be any benefit to trying to run multiple routers.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Given where you are I assume Cox is your ISP. I don't think you can since the MAC address from you router is registered to you home...your address. I would think it'd be better and easier to have a router capable of running dual SSIDs if that's what your after.

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    I want to maximize my signal strength. And I want to ensure I can get from one end on the bottom floor of the house to the other end of the top floor of the house.

Running an apple airport extreme. Using cox.

Old_Demon

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    Ponchatoula
    I run three computers off of one modem (DSL) - two connections hard-wired off the router and another connection from the router to a wireless device. The computer upstairs uses the wireless signal from downstairs.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    If the extreme doesnt do it, I am not sure much else will unless you buy an amplifier.. you really do not want to run two routers unless its managed.. I also would just try to see what signal you get before going too far.. You can find amps for a fair price used on fleabay..

CrkdLtr

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Is it possible to run two routers off all of one cable line in your house? My house is two stories and I was wondering imif it would be possible and if it would be any benefit to trying to run multiple routers.

From Cox the DOCSIS Cable Modem is capable of assigning 8 Public IP addresses. You'll want to call in and ask to have an additional IP address added to your account. I don't know if the cost is $5 a month or $15 a month. You'd need to connect the cable modem to a multi port switch (4 port or 8 port) and then each router would connect to the switch. Just for additional information if you were a business and needed more than 8 public IP addresses you can go with a CIDR Block starting at a /28 and going up. This requires special configuration of your router. Most individuals who get this think they're just getting more than 8 IPs and have no idea how to configure it to work.

Unless you need or want 2 routers with different public IP addresses then you should be able to tether the upstairs router to the downstairs router via an Ethernet cable and set the upstairs router as a Gateway instead of a Router. Basically the upstairs router would become a wireless signal repeater/amplifier/remote access point; whatever you want to call it.

Last edited:

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    Thanks for all the help guys. I think I will just see what I get when I can hook it up.

jimdana1942

oldtimer
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Sulphur, La.
    Invest in a wireless repeater. Or two. Wireless repeaters (or access points) extend your wireless network's range with no need to install additional wiring. Just buy one or more wireless APs, place them roughly halfway between your previous wireless access point and your computer, and power them on. Voila! You now have an instant boost to your wireless signal strength. There are many affordable wireless repeaters on the market; all the major vendors make them. If you buy one like Apple's Airport you can even use it to stream wireless music to your stereo at the same time you're extending your wireless range.

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    Lots of weird information in this thread so figured I'd add my own 2 cents. 15 years in the professional IT world and 7 years at my current IT job.

Easiest solution - buy this http://www.bestbuy.com/site/NETGEAR+-+Universal+Wi-Fi+Range+Extender+with+Ethernet+port/2733324.p?id=1218349687077&skuId=2733324&st=repeater&cp=1&lp=2

It just sits in a plug and repeats the wireless access point. Brother has one in his huge 2 story house and it works fine. You only have one SSID and everything can talk to each other fine.

Best solution - Buy a 2nd router and connect it with a cat5 cable to your existing router. Turn off DHCP on your "repeating" router and allow the primary router to hand out IP addresses. This turns the "repeating" router into a wireless switch so to speak. You can either broadcast the same SSID and allow your computer to choose which one is more powerful or you can set two different SSID's (one called upstairs one called downstairs perhaps). Setting them to the same SSID will work similar to the "easiest solution" above. The only problem with that is when you bring a laptop or tablet from upstairs to downstairs, the computer isn't smart enough to switch connections. So it'll probably be real slow until you disconnect then reconnect. But the same thing would happen if you had two different SSID's (you'd have to disconnect from one to connect to the other) so it really is just what you want.

I'd try the range extender first as it's easily returned to best buy if it doesn't work out. Also you can experiment with moving it wherever there's a wall outlet to get the best signal. Running a cable is a PITA in a 2 story house but still possible so I'd save that adventure for last.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Can you not just run an ethernet bridge and piggy back more routers? I have 3 run off of my att 2wire.

Sent from my Cyberdyne Deadhand via Skynet

poor_shot

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 1, 2012
    NOLA

yes, you can run two modems off one line. once the second modem is provisioned you can get data through that line. i don't think you'll use all the bandwidth off one cable line anyway. there are a surprisingly high number of individuals who do it. most of them have a "gamer" son/daughter in the house they dedicate a line for. depends on what your goal is.

if you're looking for more coverage, i would go with more wireless AP's/repeaters around the house, but if you're looking for additional bandwidth, and the Ultimate tier isn't good enough, or you want one Economy tier and one Preferred tier, that's fine too.

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    OK, so I set up a network with an Apple Airport extreme. i want to try and strengthen the signal at the other end of the house, so i got an airport Express because the guys at Best Buy told me it would work that way. I am not seeing anything in the instruction manual about using it that way.

AMNy ideas?

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    i know nothing about apple crap. but i do know best buy knows next to nothing about real technology and all they care about is sales.

Last edited:

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    i know nothing about apple crap. but i do know best buy knows next to nothing about real technology and all they care about is sales.

LOL, actually the guy I bought the IMac and extreme from was pretty damn knowledgeable, but went to a different store tonight

vern10mm

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Kenner, LA
    OK, so I set up a network with an Apple Airport extreme. i want to try and strengthen the signal at the other end of the house, so i got an airport Express because the guys at Best Buy told me it would work that way. I am not seeing anything in the instruction manual about using it that way.

AMNy ideas?

I have not had a chance to hook the express up, just wondering if anyone knows if it really works as a range extender / signal booster or not.

What would be the best way to tell if it is actually helping anything when I get on? Using Cox BTW.

thanks gents

Top Bottom