Smallest caliber for deer?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I wouldn't suggest you get anything smalle than .243. I have killed a pretty nice sizd whitetail using a 22-250 but shot placement is the most important thing to remember.
    Why do you want such a small cal.?

Barry J

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 5, 2011
    Thibodaux
    I shoot a 270 now. Most of the shots on my lease are less than 100 yards, so I'm thinking about going smaller. Also want something with less recoil I can shoot more at the range.

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    A 25-06 would be a fantastic rifle but, I'm not sure about the cost of ammo for doing a lot of range shooting.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    Even though 223/556 is my favorite to hunt with, I would only suggest to use it for neck shots.. The goal is to get them to bleed out or do enough trauma to stop them.. Unless your very confident in your gun, go bigger.. you could get a 300 win mag and not even have to field dress them.. :)

john17427

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Oct 23, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I whittled my deer caliber down to 243 many years ago, but lately have had some thoughts about 223 with the heavier bullets in a fast twist barrel. Just thoughts right now. The 243 does a good job; not sure I want to tempt fate and possibly lose one. I'll have to do more research before the thoughts get serious. I know people take deer all the time with 223, but I'll have to do the research before I get comfortable with it.

scooterj

Stupid is 'posed to hurt
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 14, 2008
    LaPlace
    I whittled my deer caliber down to 243 many years ago, but lately have had some thoughts about 223 with the heavier bullets in a fast twist barrel. Just thoughts right now. The 243 does a good job; not sure I want to tempt fate and possibly lose one. I'll have to do more research before the thoughts get serious. I know people take deer all the time with 223, but I'll have to do the research before I get comfortable with it.
    Most of the heavier bullets are designed for target shooting and will not perform after impact.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I'm a .270 / .30-06 guy myself- but a lot of people I know believe in the .243 or 7mm-08 for the kind of hunting you are talking about.....

I personally wouldn't choose a .223 based on what I've seen while hunting in Texas (you better hit them well), but if it works for other folks more power to them! One of these days I'm going to look into a 6.8 SPC upper for my AR- that's basically a ".270 lite". Interesting.....

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Agreed. The 223 will kill em....but IMO, the round works best when the target knows its been shot. you can't go wrong with anything in 30cal.

I'm gonna change my rifle this season too.

I (finally) came across a real nice bolt action carbine in 762x39. A cz-527 to be specific. It's going to fill all my needs for deer in Louisiana & Mississippi where I do a majority of my hunting. A 308 will fill the need for longer shots than provided by greenfields. And my trusty 7mag rounds it all out if I find myself chasing elk or mulies out west.

Also gonna be adding a 35whelen & a 45-70 soon to extend my seasons....

I have to disagree with the 300win mag joke....I used my 7mag for a few years and they'd ALWAYS run at least 50-200yds after a perfect heart shot. The round is too fast and our deer too skinny. I never found a round that would fully expand and transfer enough energy to cause the classic insta-kill. Heck, ive had a few not even leave a blood trail because the bullet never expanded. Pinkie sized entery AND exit holes. That's why I switched to the 308. It worked beautifully, bu like you, i got to thinking that at the ranges i usually shoot, its still too much rifle. So, now I'm looking forward to seeing the 762x39 in action. Book says it should hit like a 3030.

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    7MM-08 will do everything you need it to do. it is a .243/.308 case necked to a 7mm bullet. 223 will kill them but you need good shot placement. I have loaded some barnes 62 gr. TSX bullets for the wifes .223 and we will find out this year what they will do (i am hunting in mississippi).

Last edited:

tbone

Threadender
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I like the .270. I reload a 130 gr. Speer pointed soft point with the smallest charge of IMR 4350 recommended by the speer reloading manual. That combination creates a very large exit hole from close range out to 150 yds. It is accurate and has a light recoil to boot. I've been using it for about 30 years and have yet to lose a deer.
    I understand there are probably better bullets being made nowadays but, I hate to change from something that works. I've had friends that are very happy with the .243 but I never liked the idea of the smaller bullet weights in that caliber. That's just a personal preference, though.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Must be .22 cal or larger and centerfire. The .204 Ruger is not legal.

and the latest BayouBucks issue(March) featured a guy(54 yrs old) who got in trouble for just that! (LOTS OF TROUBLE!)
    b/c while he also killed the deer illegally with that caliber(.204), he also got charged with 4 counts of Contest Fraud for every contest he entered the Deer in!!! :doh:

Oh yeah, and the deer was a 15 point scoring 229 6/8" B&C !!! :eek3:
    (Deer taken in Catahoula Parish)

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    Less than 100 yards? Why not consider a handgun caliber like .44 Mag or .357 Mag? One of the Ruger carbines in .44 Mag or a lever gun in either caliber would be a great little gun.

Hevi-shot

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 26, 2011
    Denham Springs
    i second the 30-30 nod. its got little recoil, bullets are pretty cheap, and out to 150 yards its a good round to count on leaving a nice exit hole and have good knockdown power. i like the Leverrevolution by Hornady. i don't reload FYI.

Top Bottom