TWIC cards

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hankjr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 10, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I have taken one of the Concealed carry courses recently and seriously considering applying for a ccw permit. I've been doing alot of research on concealed carry to insure that it is indeed what I want to do.....especially knowing that I can legally open carry. One aspect that I have not found Any info about is TWIC cards in relation to concealed carry. With that said, here is my issue and question. I work for a chemical plant and I'm required to get a TWIC card as a condition of employment. My TWIC must be renewed near the end of this year. Have any of you run into or heard of any issues of a TWIC card being denied/revoked as a result of getting a ccw permit? I can't imagine that there would be an issue if you have a permit, but would like to confirm this as best I can as this job provides a good living for my family and I.

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    I don't know what a TWIC card is, but it sounds like a security clearance of some kind. If they deny you one kind of security clearance just because you passed a different kind of security clearance/background check, then sue the hell out of them and retire early. just my uninformed opinion.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    There's plenty of guys on here who work offshore and posses both a TWIC card and CCW permit without issue....

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    I have a TWIC card and had no problem with getting it even though I have a CHP.
    Get the CHP. Don't worry about it messing with your TWIC. It's not an issue.

Vigilante Sniper

Guns are my crack!!
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    LaPlace
    I have a TWIC and a CCW and never had a problem. TWIC had nothing to do with a CCW, If you can't get a TWIC you probably can't get a CCW either. You can't carry your gun inside a plant, but you can keep it in your locked vehicle in a publicly accessible parking lot.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I have both and I haven't had any issues. They are background checks, not "other form of ID checks."

G

gunguy11

I have a TWIC and a CCW and never had a problem. TWIC had nothing to do with a CCW, If you can't get a TWIC you probably can't get a CCW either. You can't carry your gun inside a plant, but you can keep it in your locked vehicle in a publicly accessible parking lot.
    I wish I could find the black and white writing for this. The plant I go in for my dad's company tells us the firearm is not allowed period! Even in the contractor Parkin lot which is public; I assume because no form of ID or security is necessary to park here.

G

gunguy11

I've been put on a 5 day hold every trip to the gunstore since passing my federal background check for my TWIC card :( Never before.

g

I am also worries out this. I was told that sometimes after you get a TWIC card you can experience a delay when purchasing a new firearm. Your story is not the first I have heard of this and hope it doesn't happen to me.

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    They both are sort of a back ground check, but actually the twic is a Transportation workers ID card, for the areas that are covered by maritime security.. they actually are another form of ID that does work in airports as well, since its a federal ID.

the twic is actually tougher to qualify for and it should not be a problem to have both ever.. the CCP is just making sure you are not a bad guy, the twic goes into some past and is really a 2/3 secret clearance.

You should have no worries and the CCP is the better thing to have than to just open carry...

Top Bottom