44 magnum/cast bullets

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rp85

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 3, 2009
    baton rouge
    helllo;

anyone cast their own bullets for the 44 magnum????? which mold??? rifle pistol????

trying to load cast bullets for a marlin 44 magnum rifle and it's turning out to be a real bear to find a good cast bullet load. have an ohause plain base keith style swc, 259 grain bullet, sized to .433" bullet.

anyone sell bullet molds in the baton rouge area???

thanks.

rp

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I cast my own for a 44 Mag revolver. Does your Marlin have the MicroGroove barrel. I have heard that they sometimes do not respond well to cast bullets. Also at the velocities you can achieve in a rifle, a bullet with a gascheck would probably be a good idea. What alloy are you using and what lube? A suitably hard alloy is needed but proper fit is even more important. You said you are sizing to .433" but are the bullets getting to the bore at that size? If you are using the wrong reloading dies, you could be sizing the bullets even smaller inside the case. Taper crimp dies are a bad idea with cast and a properly sized expander stem is a must. For a .433" bullet you will want an expander no smaller than .4315" and you should roll crimp just enough to turn the case mouth in to the crimp groove and no more. I have learned this the hard way. Here is what I discovered. I had problems with leading in my bore and accuracy issues. I knew I was sizing my bullets correctly but still had problems. I used an inertia bullet puller and pulled a bullet from a loaded case. My .431" sized bullet measured .429" after being pulled. This was caused by too much case tension. A proper set of dies cured the issue.

The_Shadow

The Shadow Knows!
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 24, 2010
    Southeast, LA
    I cast from a the following
    Lyman Keith Style 2-Cavity Bullet Mold #429421 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum (.430” Diameter) 257 Grain Semi-Wadcutter
    217188.jpg

Lyman 2-Cavity Bullet Mold #429215 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum (430 Diameter) 210 Grain Semi-Wadcutter Gas Check
    682875.jpg

RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 429-240-SIL 44 Caliber (430 Diameter) 240 Grain Silhouette Gas Check, very accurate from my Marlin lever gun and S&W Mod 29 8 3/8"
    764004.jpg

I also have a Saeco #449 sort of a Turncated Cone with a gas check, this reminds me I need to cast some of these!

Akajun

Go away,Batin...
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 10, 2008
    Brusly
    I cast my own for a 44 Mag revolver. Does your Marlin have the MicroGroove barrel. I have heard that they sometimes do not respond well to cast bullets. Also at the velocities you can achieve in a rifle, a bullet with a gascheck would probably be a good idea. What alloy are you using and what lube? A suitably hard alloy is needed but proper fit is even more important. You said you are sizing to .433" but are the bullets getting to the bore at that size? If you are using the wrong reloading dies, you could be sizing the bullets even smaller inside the case. Taper crimp dies are a bad idea with cast and a properly sized expander stem is a must. For a .433" bullet you will want an expander no smaller than .4315" and you should roll crimp just enough to turn the case mouth in to the crimp groove and no more. I have learned this the hard way. Here is what I discovered. I had problems with leading in my bore and accuracy issues. I knew I was sizing my bullets correctly but still had problems. I used an inertia bullet puller and pulled a bullet from a loaded case. My .431" sized bullet measured .429" after being pulled. This was caused by too much case tension. A proper set of dies cured the issue.
    This, you need a custom expander plug from Buffalo Arms or a die set that sizes less. If your sizing your bullets that large I can guarantee the case is sizing them back down.
    Other options are to switch to a gas check design, or use a super hard alloy that will not size down in the case, or harden your bullets.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I cast from a the following
    Lyman Keith Style 2-Cavity Bullet Mold #429421 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum (.430” Diameter) 257 Grain Semi-Wadcutter

Lyman 2-Cavity Bullet Mold #429215 44 Special, 44 Remington Magnum (430 Diameter) 210 Grain Semi-Wadcutter Gas Check

RCBS 2-Cavity Bullet Mold 429-240-SIL 44 Caliber (430 Diameter) 240 Grain Silhouette Gas Check, very accurate from my Marlin lever gun and S&W Mod 29 8 3/8"

I also have a Saeco #449 sort of a Turncated Cone with a gas check, this reminds me I need to cast some of these!

I have had those mold or similar and they will make decent bullets if you are lucky enough to have either a rare example that will actually cast a .430" bullet (mine wouldn't) or if you have a gun that will shoot well with an undersize bullet. I gave up on all molds by RCBS and Lyman..........I sold all of mine and now order custom molds from "Accurate Molds" I can get a mold that will drop bullets to my specifications and delivery is very fast. His selection if far greater than Lyman and RCBS put together and the quality puts Lyman and RCBS to shame. They do cost a little more but it is well worth it. I have used one, two and six cavity Lee molds and molds from RCBS, Lyman, NEI, NOE, and Mountain, and the Accurate mold are the best I've used. They are truly a work of art.....on par with Mihec and MP Molds.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    I cast the Lyman 2-Cavity Bullet Mold #429215
    P2190003.jpg

If you were closer i could give you some to try out

Leadslugga

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge,LA
    I cast .44 keith style bullets from a lyman mold (like the one above). They shoot fine in my Ruger Super Blackhawk, but I haven't tried them in a rifle.

I size mine to .430, but I think I might need to go up to .431 because I get more leading than I should be getting from .44 specials only going 700 fps.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I cast .44 keith style bullets from a lyman mold (like the one above). They shoot fine in my Ruger Super Blackhawk, but I haven't tried them in a rifle.

I size mine to .430, but I think I might need to go up to .431 because I get more leading than I should be getting from .44 specials only going 700 fps.

The leading you are experiencing may not have anything to do with what you are sizing your bullets to. Single action Rugers are famous for having a tight spot in the bore just ahead of the forcing cone. This tight spot squeezes the bullet as it passing this spot rendering it a little small for the rest of the barrel, resulting in the leading issue. These examples will usually shoot fine with jacketed ammo.

Have you slugged the barrel and cylinder throats to see what size bullet you actually need? Have you measured you bullets after sizing to see if they are actually .430". Use a micrometer, NOT a caliper. And of course, have you checked to see if your dies are the issue as explained in the post above?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom