May 26th Vanilla Gorilla's Introduction to Basic Gunshot Trauma Treatment and Pistol

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    Sorry the last thread had some kind of 404 error and would not display the information for some users.

Introduction to Basic Gunshot Trauma Treatment and Pistol Gun Fighting

What: Vanilla Gorilla’s Introduction to Basic Gunshot Trauma Treatment and Pistol Gun Fighting
    When: May 26, 2012 Saturday 8am – 6pm rain or shine, hour lunch at 12 noon
    Where: Golden Dragon's facility, in Robert, LA.

Cost: If payment is received before May 11th it is $130.00 AFTER May 11th $150.00. This price includes the cost of class, the cost of the range and the supplies; you are responsible for your own ammo. (500 rounds). Class is limited to 15 students please PM me for mailing address.

Payment Method: Money order or cashiers check contact me via PM for address. The only way that you can hold a spot is by paying for the class in FULL. Payments will be NON REFUNDABLE after May 18th.

Course Description:

Medical:
    Personal medical kits
    Initial reaction to GSW
    Finding the bleeder
    Hemorrhagic Intervention
    Identifying Shock
    Identifying Airway Compromise
    Basic Airway Interventions
    Last Ditch Airways
    What to do while you wait
    The Medical Plan

Pistol:
    Positions of Duress
    Creating Space and Controlling Space
    Get The Behind Me Woman; Managing Third Parties in the Fight
    Gear Selection and priorities
    The Realities
    Scenario Based Practicum
    Real Safety
    The fundamentals of Pistol Fighting: grip, stance, draw, sights
    In-Fight Reload
    The "Dance" The Footwork you fight from

Gear:
    Pistol
    Belt Mounted Holster (No SERPAS)
    Real Belt
    Belt Mounted Magazine Pouch
    Minimum 3 Magazines The More the Merrier
    500rds of Pistol Ammo
    Ear / Eye Protection
    Body Armor (Not required but recommended)
    Folding Chair
    Notebook and pen/pencil
    Lunch , Snacks, Water

Last edited:

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    I think the error was because of the apostrophe in the thread title.

Is this the class that will be taught at a "1.5 level"?

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    I think the error was because of the apostrophe in the thread title.

Is this the class that will be taught at a "1.5 level"?

This will be the same as the class taught today (May 05). Anyone that missed it, shouldn't miss it!

Gunfighter 1 will be May 27th. I'll be posting details shortly...

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    This computer is killing me, now I can read the post but for the last two days it has been giving me an error message. It seems to be working now.

cheese

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    My wife is a registered nurse and is interested in this class. However, she has next to zero pistol experience. Can she attend?

Golden Dragon

Stay Alert.... Stay Alive
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    171   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Mandeville
    "In regards to the Ditch Medicine course I have a medical background and my analysis of the course is coming from that background. I am currently a 4th year medical student and I was literally 5 days off a Trauma Surgery rotation. I saw plenty of GSW's (.22 lr to multiple 7.62x39's to thorax and abdomen), stabbings, and random Trauma (pack of pitbull mauling, MVAs, to deglovings etc). So when I took the Ditch medicine course I was very familiar with the topics that where discussed like the various forms of shock, pneumothorax, and exsanguination. When I came home and told my wife about the course she just wondered why I would waste my time on a topic that I was so recently and intimately familiar with. The truth is Nate offers a very different perspective. In a controlled setting like a Trauma 1 hospital I don't have to worry about eliminating threats, limited supplies, and/or stabilizing a patient for transport. I am already in a controlled environment where I have what seems like an endless supplies of pRBC's, pharmacologics, equipment, etc and transporting is no longer necessary.

All of that being said I learned a lot from the course. The course started with Nate providing a clear and concise anatomy background. Enough for the lay individual to get a grasp on what was going on with a gun shot wound. We then moved on to the various froms of injury and their presentations. I want everyone who reads this to understand that the topics presented are complex pathophysiologic processes that could each be discussed over multiple days however Nate did a wonderful job of providing the right amount of info for each process. One only really needs to know enough information to match the possible intervention one could possibly provide. In the field the intervention revolves around triaging and accessing then if necessary stopping bleeding, maintaining an airway, and stabilizing then reassessing.

I am ashamed to say I didn't have a personal med kit. Nate introduced and allowed us to touch and feel many medical products some of which I was completely unaware of existing. Pressure dressings, tourniquets, clotting agents, chest seals, naso airway devices, and decompression needles where just some of the products that where presented. Heck, I had no clue that quick clot heated up to such a high temp and I had never used it. I had never seen all of the varying torniquet devices or even considered putting one on myself one handed. Nate unwrapped and allowed us to fondle a ton of different products and that experience alone was worth the price of admission.

The icing on the cake and a really just a cool component to the class where the freshly killed hogs that where shot (postmortem) with different calibers so each student could see entrance and exit wounds as well as practice the newly learned techniques like pressure dressing placement and wound packing.

All in all the course was accurate, concise, and extremely informative. IMO every individual would benefit form this course including health care professionals. I know I did....."

"The Sweatiest Student in Class" - Sir Isaac Newton

Good Job with write up on the class. Thanks G.D. :thumbsup:

If you are not sure, can I do the class or not?
    Is training going to be too intimidating? No
    Will I be embarrass? Maybe if you are shy and don't like to do any thing in front of people.
    You will be on a line when shooting nobody will be looking at you but the instructors.
    This is your chance to try it out for your self and not have to invest into a two or three day class at full price.
    And the Ditch Medicine course you learn may come in handy with your every day activity's.
    Take advantage on the intro pricing. This will be the last classes with intro pricing.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    This is probably going to be the last time I run the combo course as it is a great deal of material to cover in one day. If you want to get a lot of training at a small price without having to make a multi-day investment this is the class for you. Don't put off signing up I have given J-dog a hard cap on enrollement and there aren't that many seats left.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    This is probably going to be the last time I run the combo course as it is a great deal of material to cover in one day. If you want to get a lot of training at a small price without having to make a multi-day investment this is the class for you. Don't put off signing up I have given J-dog a hard cap on enrollement and there aren't that many seats left.

This is a great class. I took the May 5th class and it was my very first instruction of any kind. I didn't feel intimidation from the learning curve, Nate, or anyone else. Remember: you're there to learn just like everyone else. The value you're getting for your money is superb. If you've got $130 and a Saturday to spend, you won't find a better way to spend it.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Guys enrollement for this course will close this coming Friday. It is the last time we will be offering this material in this format. If you are on the fence it's time to sign up. It's cheap and its a taste of two very important subjects. Spots are available for now but enrollment will be closed on Friday. Come see what we do I gurantee wyou will walk away knowing more than you did when you got there.

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Damn it. I want to go but we are short handed at work and there is no way I'll be able to get the days off from work. I work 11:45pm to 8am. So I'd have to put in for Friday night off as well as Saturday night off. At the moment we are only getting time off for emergencies or if we put in ~ a month (or more) in advance. And even with more than a months notice it's not a guarantee. FRACK!.

J-Dog

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 1, 2012
    Hammond
    Damn it. I want to go but we are short handed at work and there is no way I'll be able to get the days off from work. I work 11:45pm to 8am. So I'd have to put in for Friday night off as well as Saturday night off. At the moment we are only getting time off for emergencies or if we put in ~ a month (or more) in advance. And even with more than a months notice it's not a guarantee. FRACK!.

Call in sick!

sraacke

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    St. Gabriel
    Call in sick!
    I considered that but I've never played hookie from work and don’t want to be THAT guy. I have about 250 hours of general time off built up and when we get some new hires trained up I'll be able to us those hours. I would love to take all of these different classes but even if I had the time off my budget won't stretch to cover everything. I have to plan way forward on the calendar. For instance, I am working on going to a 2day Combat Focus class in September with Bearco. Then I will start looking for something else in spring/summer of 2013.

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TonyGuillory
    Top Bottom