Ruger 10/22 build-up

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • go-to73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Forgive my *noob*-ness. :mamoru:

I have been around guns all my life, and have even modified a few but never built up a Ruger 10/22. Here's what I have so far:

1. Kidd barrel
    2. Hogue overmold stock
    3. Kidd bolt buffer
    4. Tactical Solutions v-block

I stopped here because I am having fit issues with the stock and v-block. With the T.S. v-block there is a huge gap between the barrel and stock (about 1/4 inch). Tightening the take-down screw makes it worse. I understand that this is OK, but the gap seems greater than normal AND the barrel is not centered. Installing the stock v-block centers the barrel and lessens the gap down to about 1/8 inch (fully tight take-down screw).

At present I lack the knowledge on how to center the barrel (I can deal with the gap because I understand this is OK and even wanted).

Should I go with the stock v-block or leave well enough alone?

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    I would stick with the oem vblock. From what I have read it is kinda gun to gun weather or not you need to change the vblock as some barrels droop. Neither of mine did so I didn't change either of them.

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    While your at it go ahead and toss out the Hogue stock as well.
    If your going with a KIDD barrel do it justice and put it in a decent stock.

What trigger group are you gonna run?

go-to73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Well suggestions on stock?! :-) I am not quite pleased with the Hogue stock...not up to the quality level I had hoped for.

Saving for the trigger, but hadn't decided. I was considering KIDD again.

While your at it go ahead and toss out the Hogue stock as well.
    If your going with a KIDD barrel do it justice and put it in a decent stock.

What trigger group are you gonna run?

Attachments

• photo.JPG
      photo.JPG
      124.7 KB · Views: 141
    Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    I have a B&C Odessey on my first build, a folder and a Archangel Target Deluxe on my latest. I would reccomend either in a heart beat.
    What are your plans for the build. Something that looks cool - benchrest - off hand shooting - huntuing - all aroundplinking?

I have Volquartson and the others have been upgraded with VQ internals.
    You cant go wrong with anything KIDD-Im going with his parts when I do my last build.

go-to73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    I've just been going off of what I like the look and feel of. It may be my first Ruger .22, but I'm a researcher and rarely regret the choices I make.

I am definitely not building a hunting rifle...and I like that Archangel Deluxe!

My next upgrades will be a bolt assembly with charge handle, bolt buffer, then trigger assembly, then lastly receiver assembly (all most likely from KIDD).

I have a B&C Odessey on my first build, a folder and a Archangel Target Deluxe on my latest. I would reccomend either in a heart beat.
    What are your plans for the build? Something that looks cool - benchrest - off hand shooting - huntuing - all aroundplinking?

I have Volquartson and the others have been upgraded with VQ internals.
    You cant go wrong with anything KIDD-Im going with his parts when I do my last build.

go-to73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Those are really nice man!

I just installed the KIDD bolt assembly and cocking assembly. I only have receiver and trigger left! After that...I will have a spare stocker!

Bolt.jpg

Last edited:

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    It depends on so many other factors. In some instances none and others it could mean a world of difference.
    The shooter, ammo, trigger, stock, barrel, sights, intended porpose are all relative factors.
    If you want a truck gun to hit a baseball sized target at 25 yards there is no need or justification for a $200 plus barrel.
    If your intentions are to shoot sub 3/8 inch groups in competition at 50 yards its foolish to try to do so without one.

go-to73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    KIDD trigger installed

Well I do apologize for the long delay in my posting...I have been very busy in a new position managing a shop.

I just finishing installing my new 2-stage KIDD trigger and receiver pin kit. Simple, easy, and did I mention simple to install? I've worked in a machine shop, so I am critical of the machining work. I could ding them for some of the machining marks, but it seems each piece is hand-machined with love somewhere. Who knows, but I can't or won't complain.

I only have a receiver and scope/mount left to install. Here it is...

Attachments

• IMG_0346.jpg
      IMG_0346.jpg
      211.9 KB · Views: 101

go-to73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    That is very nice sir. Give me a run-down on your parts please.

I'm a little displeased with the KIDD trigger right now. There is slack *before* the first stage that I was not expecting. Gives the trigger 3 distinct sections to the pull. Not only that, but my trigger is sticking rearward after firing. I have been on the phone with KIDD and will need to tweak the over-travel set screw it seems. Not a drop-in that's for sure.

This is my baby.

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I got mine finished up and it is a pleasure to shoot. I can stack bullets in the same hole at 50 yards.
    E.R. Shaw helical fluted barrel 18.5"
    Volquartsen hammer and <2 lb trigger
    Archangel target stock
    Simmons truplex .22 scope with AO
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1346449385.715898.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1346449407.614541.jpg

go-to73

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Lafayette, Louisiana
    Well I was able to tweak on my trigger a bit this weekend and all is well now. Seems I needed about a 5min turn of the over-travel set screw to stop the trigger from sticking rearward after firing. The KIDD trigger is pretty incredible.

I will be ordering the receiver today or tomorrow along with scope and mounts. Any suggestions on a scope gents?!

Last edited:

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I was gonna put the Nikon p-22 on mine but couldn't find a silver one. I like the Simmons it is crisp and the adjustable parallax is nice. Both of these have good reviews.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Nexus2024
    Top Bottom