The average CCW issue time?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Clearly online is the way to go. I sure wish I would have done it that way.
    If anyone does it online, I suggest turning in copies of your documents in person at LSP and NOT uploading them. Just check the box saying you'll mail them in, print the cover sheet, and take that in with you. The instructor I took my renewal with has been keeping track of wait times and how apps were submitted. This process has gotten the fastest result. He has people who uploaded their documents who are sitting between five and seven months with no word.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Will51

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    Denham Springs
    If anyone does it online, I suggest turning in copies of your documents in person at LSP and NOT uploading them. Just check the box saying you'll mail them in, print the cover sheet, and take that in with you. The instructor I took my renewal with has been keeping track of wait times and how apps were submitted. This process has gotten the fastest result. He has people who uploaded their documents who are sitting between five and seven months with no word.

Strange, I uploaded mine. Maybe I just got lucky.

11Bravo

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    Strange, I uploaded mine. Maybe I just got lucky.
    There are so many variables it's impossible to tell. Over the last year handing in the documents at LSP just showed the most consistent timely turn around time for his folks. Hell, could have just been luck for me too.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    05/06/2016 Submitted application online
    05/13/2016 Mailed prints
    10/12/2016 Accepted email to pay
    10/12/2016 Paid fee
    12/14/2016 emailed to check on status.
    Approval in less than 30 minutes.

bradbrla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2016
    Gonzales
    I honestly believe they are forgetting to follow up on apps. Bc the same thing happened to me. Checked on it and it was approved right then as well.

My guess is that they are working new, online apps immediately, working the "squeaky wheels" --emails/calls for status-- as they come in, and trying to work through the enormous backlog that seems to exist.

I was at HQ week before last and an older lady who had mailed everything in was very upset because it had been 8 months. I was a little concerned since I was there for fingerprints and surely didn't want to wait that long for line..... They shrugged her off and basically said "it takes time, we told you to do it online." It's a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Will51

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2013
    Denham Springs
    Applied for mine Friday the 9th at about 8am online. Got the email to send in fingerprints around noon, went the LSP headquarters and did the fingerprints that afternoon, while I was waiting to get my fingerprints done I got the email my app was accepted with link to pay. Got my fingerprints done, went home, followed the link to pay, got an email this morning saying my app was approved and I would see the permit in the mail in 10-15 days. Pretty fast so far.

The only worry is that my drivers license shows my old apartment number, hopefully they send it to the address I listed on my app with the correct apartment number or if they don't the post office can forward CC permits.

Received the permit today, so a total of 5 days from the start of the application process to having the permit in hand.

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Well today is 9 months since mailing in my paperwork -- my certified check was dated 3/15/16 -- mailed that same day. LSP's system is broke, I'm going to get my State Rep involved as this is now ridiculous. I'm paying for a service that is not being rendered, as a LA resident & taxpayer this is unacceptable.

bradbrla

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2016
    Gonzales
    Well today is 9 months since mailing in my paperwork -- my certified check was dated 3/15/16 -- mailed that same day. LSP's system is broke, I'm going to get my State Rep involved as this is now ridiculous. I'm paying for a service that is not being rendered, as a LA resident & taxpayer this is unacceptable.

Cat---

I agree that it's ridiculous and the whole system needs an overhaul. Good for you to involve your State Rep. In my opinion, they're teetering on the line of violating your rights---especially if there's no cause to support the delay. The law states (paraphrasing) that the permit shall be issued in a reasonable timeframe. I don't think that 9 months is reasonable when some of us are getting them in DAYS.

Echoing what many in the forum who have experienced delays have said, I'd suggest (if you haven't already) sending an email to the CHP unit at: concealed.handguns@dps.la.gov. Many people are seeing approvals immediately when they do that. It's my guess that this boils down to the squeaky wheel getting the grease. If nothing else, it will be one more item in your paper trail for your state rep.

Hope things get resolved soon. Best of luck!

Ricardo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 28, 2016
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Cat---

I agree that it's ridiculous and the whole system needs an overhaul. Good for you to involve your State Rep. In my opinion, they're teetering on the line of violating your rights---especially if there's no cause to support the delay. The law states (paraphrasing) that the permit shall be issued in a reasonable timeframe. I don't think that 9 months is reasonable when some of us are getting them in DAYS.

Echoing what many in the forum who have experienced delays have said, I'd suggest (if you haven't already) sending an email to the CHP unit at: concealed.handguns@dps.la.gov. Many people are seeing approvals immediately when they do that. It's my guess that this boils down to the squeaky wheel getting the grease. If nothing else, it will be one more item in your paper trail for your state rep.

Hope things get resolved soon. Best of luck!

It's hard to say for sure what the reasons are. I handed in my paper application at the LSP and got digital fingerprinting done at HQ. It took a little over 2 months from hand in to CHP in hand. While not the fastest turn around, it seems like a reasonable time frame considering the enormous backlog.

I didn't call or e-mail them with any questions.

Time frame was (mid-september to december first to receive the CHP.)

All I can come up with is that mail-ins are given the lowest priority. With online apps given highest, and hand-delivered applications somewhere in the middle. It really seems to depend on who is working that day and if all of the paperwork is on-hand and accurate. With a hand-in application they are able to check over the paperwork while you're standing there, so they know whether something is missing or not. With the online application, the system pretty much prompts you each step of the way.

Hopefully, everyone that qualifies for their permit receives it soon.

bsramzy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 13, 2011
    prairieville
    Submitted Renewal on 11/30 (online and uploaded documentation)
    Approved 12/17 (emailed early saturday morning)
    Permit in hand 12/23

joshlg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Submitted new application and uploaded docs online 8/31/16
    Mailed prints 9/5/16 USPS parcel (because I put "Do Not Bend" stickers on the envelope)
    Got confirmation LSP CHP received prints 9/6/16
    Received email this morning that my application was accepted and paid online.
    Now just have to wait to see how long it will take to actually receive the permit!

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Well - after sending inquiry e-mails they have now told me my application is now approved. I'll believe it when I see it -- My application was mailed in March 15th. 9 months and some change -- unacceptable.
    Amazing that they finally act on it when you corner them. - I wonder how much longer it would have been if I didn't rattle the cage, but you shouldn't have to.

Roadhazzard

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2008
    Near Monroe
    My son and my wife both applied online on the evening of December 19th. Both were simple apps with no added documentation needed other than the training certificate and copy of driver's license.

We uploaded my son's documents through the online app. Somehow we screwed up the upload on my wife's documents and they were not uploaded.

We drove to BR , got there about 9:00a.m. on December 21st, to have their prints taken and we turned in the wife's documents to the lady at the counter. We got the email for payment while they were in the back getting the prints done, and it took less than 30 minutes in and out the door.

My son got his approval email the next morning early, and his permit was in the mailbox December 30th. 11 days that included the Christmas holiday. :cool:

My wife got her approval email this morning the 3rd. I will update when she gets the permit.

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    What does, "The status of this permit is PENDING ACCEPTANCE" mean? Does it mean they have everything or really the application hasn't been reviewed?

Top Bottom