The average CCW issue time?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Well - after sending inquiry e-mails they have now told me my application is now approved. I'll believe it when I see it -- My application was mailed in March 15th. 9 months and some change -- unacceptable.
    Amazing that they finally act on it when you corner them. - I wonder how much longer it would have been if I didn't rattle the cage, but you shouldn't have to.

UPDATE -- GOT IT ON THE 29TH OF DEC!!! Only 9 months & 2 weeks after sending my paperwork in -- WOW!!

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    I uploaded my documents , completed the appl online , got fingerprinted at LSP , and my permit was in my hand in one week . YMMV .

This is the way to go. To new applicants, DO NOT MAIL ANYTHING!!! To others, sorry it took so long, it should not be like this, but as others have said, the easiest ones (all electronic) take the shortest time and anything mailed in takes the longest.

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    Wow, what a crock!! The only thing consistent with this process, is the inconsistency! I mailed mine in June, needless to say, noting but crickets!

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    Wow, what a crock!! The only thing consistent with this process, is the inconsistency! I mailed mine in June, needless to say, noting but crickets!

Sig 66 -- yes man it sucks. BUT I did get 9 months of practice in around the house. My holsters are nicely broken in and I believe my draw technique has been honed in pretty damn sharp. NOW I pray I NEVER have to use these skills......hang in there man.

Sig66

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2016
    NOLA Westbank
    Sig 66 -- yes man it sucks. BUT I did get 9 months of practice in around the house. My holsters are nicely broken in and I believe my draw technique has been honed in pretty damn sharp. NOW I pray I NEVER have to use these skills......hang in there man.

A wise man...spend that down time honing your skills! We did a similar thing last month, and took the Intro to Tactical Pistol course from VATA in Slidell. We did lots of work from the holster which was fun, and the drills were challenging for sure! My wife did well in the class, so I feel pretty good about her skill level, although I'm always encouraging her to keep getting better, since you can never really be good enough!

And yes, hopefully we won't ever need to shoot someone...

Someone mentioned that they were able to work overtime now, so if I'm lucky, I may get my permit this month or next, but I'm not holding my breath on that!

Last edited:

264Win

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    ALASKA is Constitutional carry State 8 yrs after I paid $100 for the course and prints and now it is not needed Yea!! Now I hope we get reciprocity with all the other States with our new President?

CatCam

Ready, Shoot, Aim!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    ALASKA is Constitutional carry State 8 yrs after I paid $100 for the course and prints and now it is not needed Yea!! Now I hope we get reciprocity with all the other States with our new President?

The course is still valuable -- and I would recommend, as Sig66 stated, to take a few more classes, PRACTICE your carry skills and draw techniques AND mentally prepare yourself for CCW. Your decision to draw/no draw has to be made in less than a second, go through different scenarios.....a lot of these instructors will put you through many scenarios to make you think.

With the new administration.....I think they will still leave it up to the states on CCW issues. Good luck and stay safe out there!

jdavid1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 16, 2015
    Hammond, LA
    Does anyone have phone contact info for the CCW division? I've called all the numbers I see available and it never offers an option to speak with a human. I've email several times and keep getting the same ******** automated response. I want to know what the issue is here. I understand there are a lot of applications, but this is absurd.

It's been 7 months since I sent it in, and I paid for the permit two months ago and the only thing I get is "Your application has been entered and is being processed; please allow for additional processing time." This is crazy that a state government will accept money from me and not render services for two months or even give me a proper response.

FWIW I did everything electronically and sent in paper prints. I know it's quicker to go to LSP, but I wasn't able to get over there to do it.

whbonney26

Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Pearl River, LA
    They respond pretty well to email but give you the same BS lines every time.

I mailed mine off in April and in December I emailed them and they said that they were working on April and it would be about 30-60 days. I emailed them again last week and they said that mine has been processed and to please allow more time, like I have a choice.

At almost a year for a concealed permit...... its pretty ridiculous. I took the same class with two three guys who were all doing theirs for Mississippi and they got their CCP back in about 4 weeks.

joshlg

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 18, 2009
    Emailed State Police CCL for an update on 1/14/17 after receiving approval email and submitting payment on 12/23/16 , received response 1/26/17 ("We are currently processing your application, at this time we are waiting on the background check from your fingerprint cards to come in.")

Team_Beast

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2017
    Covington, LA
    New 5 year permit:
    12/12/16 Submitted online application w/ uploaded docs
    12/13/16 Sent in paper prints from local station
    1/26/17 Received accepted application email and paid fees

How long should I expect to wait for background check and approval email? I don't have any prior background checks on me that I know of... Is it worth sending an email now to request a status update?

Thanks

Last edited:

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    New 5 year permit:
    12/12/16 Submitted online application w/ uploaded docs
    12/13/16 Sent in paper prints from local station
    1/26/17 Received accepted application email and paid fees

How long should I expect to wait for background check and approval email? I don't have any prior background checks on me that I know of... Is it worth sending an email now to request a status update?

Thanks

6-8 months.

If you deliver it to Baton Rouge... I've seen people get it in weeks instead of Months.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    As mentioned above , it's very inconsistent . Mine took one week , but I did everything online and got fingerprinted at LSP . This was late last year . My son just submitted his and I'm curious to see how it turns out .

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    "We are a bit backlogged and have not gotten to those attachments, if you want to email them I can get them attached and send the email for online payment."

I got that from them. What on earth does that mean? I mailed in the required items.

Then I got "Your application has been entered and is being processed; please allow for additional processing time."

Last edited:

gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Emailed friday night. Explained i was waiting for my renewal since may of 2016 when it was approved. Received email today that it would be printed and mailed within the next 2 weeks. FINGERS CROSSED!!

Southern guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2016
    Rayne louisiana
    Seems like if you email or call them you get pushed to from of the line. I have read quite a few post about people emailing asking about the permit and getting approved very soon after if no the same day. I emailed the evening of the 6th and the morning of the 7th was approved

Top Bottom