Brec's "no firearms" rule

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Signs at Brec parks say "no firearms of any kind allowed". My (strictly hypothetical) question is, if a concealed carry permit holder chose to ignore that sign and carry a concealed handgun into the park, would that be a misdemeanor? A felony? Could said person lose their permit if checked by law enforcement?

It seems to be a Brec policy, not a state law that would be broken, so is it the same situation as carrying at a place of business that has a "no firearms" sign outside?

Just wondering...

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Well, I used to frequent the BREC park with the Raising Cane's dog park off Dalrymple, and I may or may not have ever packed in that particular park and I may or may not have ever been made and/or asked to leave.

I've also been to the BR zoo, which, from my understanding is a BREC park, but there are no signs out there, so I have carried there.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Sec. 13:1011. - Possession of firearms at BREC parks.

(a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession a firearm, pellet gun, BB gun or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon on property comprising parks, playgrounds, recreational areas or facilities owned or operated by the recreation and parks commission.

(b)
    Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00), imprisoned in the jail for not more than six (6) months, or both.

(City Code 1951, Title 13, § 107; Parish Code 1962, Title 13, § 417)

Cross reference— Parks and recreation generally, title 3; discharge of firearms on Capitol Lake prohibited, § 3:51.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10107

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Sec. 13:1011. - Possession of firearms at BREC parks.

(a)
    It shall be unlawful for any person to have in his possession a firearm, pellet gun, BB gun or other instrumentality customarily used or intended for probable use as a dangerous weapon on property comprising parks, playgrounds, recreational areas or facilities owned or operated by the recreation and parks commission.

(b)
    Whoever violates the provisions of this section shall be fined not more than five hundred dollars ($500.00), imprisoned in the jail for not more than six (6) months, or both.

(City Code 1951, Title 13, § 107; Parish Code 1962, Title 13, § 417)

Cross reference— Parks and recreation generally, title 3; discharge of firearms on Capitol Lake prohibited, § 3:51.

http://library.municode.com/index.aspx?clientId=10107

Mine is neither of those. Does it still count?

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    There are plenty of places you cannot carry a firearm without a permit, but your state permit allows you to carry legally in those places. I don't know if it applies in this situation, I am not a lawyer. I don't know why a BREC park would be any different. We went to Bluebonnet Swamp one time, and I didn't see the sign until I was leaving...

FWIW, I called and asked the ZOO which is a BREC park if concealed carry was ok and they told me yes as long as I had a valid permit, I also asked the Audubon Society if it was OK to carry at their Zoo and Aquarium and they said I was good to go. We had memberships to both of these organizations at the time, our son LOVES the Zoo and Aquarium.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    There are plenty of places you cannot carry a firearm without a permit, but your state permit allows you to carry legally in those places. I don't know if it applies in this situation, I am not a lawyer. I don't know why a BREC park would be any different. We went to Bluebonnet Swamp one time, and I didn't see the sign until I was leaving...

FWIW, I called and asked the ZOO which is a BREC park if concealed carry was ok and they told me yes as long as I had a valid permit, I also asked the Audubon Society if it was OK to carry at their Zoo and Aquarium and they said I was good to go. We had memberships to both of these organizations at the time, our son LOVES the Zoo and Aquarium.

It's a EBR parish law that dates back before Preemption started. The way the law reads the BR zoo is off limits it's a BREC owned place.

RagManBR

Have gun, will travel.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 7, 2011
    Baton Rouge
    While the permit allows you to carry concealed across the state, part of the rules dictate that you have to respect the rights of the property owners in terms of their desire for the presence of weapons. If the park has a sign forbidding carrying of weapons, then concealed or not, weapons are forbidden. You can be arrested and have your permit pulled.

Its is kinda weird that the its okay to carry at the zoo, but that its a no-no at the dog park that so happens to be adjacent to "The Bottoms"

themcfarland

tactical hangover
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Dec 6, 2008
    Destrehan
    would you rather be maybe judged by 12 or carried by 6.. The odds are leaning towards needing your gun more and more everyday to protect yourself.. If you do not want to be a hermit, then carry your gun and learn how to be proficient with it..

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    I got to the BREC Dogpark way out Burbank and was wondering about this too. I keep the gun in my car. I hate that. Fortunately there have never seemed to be any mean dogs or gangbangers with pit bulls. The worst thing out there is my dog who never shuts up and thinks it's his job to greet and referee everybody (people and dogs) out there. :dogkeke:

Last edited:

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    Well this is from the Zoo Director Phil Frost.

Mr.XXXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding firearms in BREC parks and more specifically BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo. You are correct. The Parish Ordinance states individuals cannot have firearms in BREC parks (see attached Firearm Ordinance). As a LCHP holder, it is obvious from your comments that you are fully aware the State has designated several areas as ‘prohibited locations’ which includes places such as churches, schools, government buildings, polling places, etc. Under ‘Prohibited Locations’, it also states:

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section

It is here that the Parish is given authority to add BREC parks as an additional ‘prohibited location’.

I appreciate your inquiry and your commitment to following the law when visiting the Zoo. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to let me know.

Phil Frost

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Baton Roach IS a ZOO!

WOW....I sure hope Theoudoues and the rest of his thug friends can read the no weapons signs at BREC so I can feel safe going unarmed in the park while on vacation next week!

v5iet4ovfmlg0oek1.jpg

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Well this is from the Zoo Director Phil Frost.

Mr.XXXXXX,

Thank you for your inquiry regarding firearms in BREC parks and more specifically BREC’s Baton Rouge Zoo. You are correct. The Parish Ordinance states individuals cannot have firearms in BREC parks (see attached Firearm Ordinance). As a LCHP holder, it is obvious from your comments that you are fully aware the State has designated several areas as ‘prohibited locations’ which includes places such as churches, schools, government buildings, polling places, etc. Under ‘Prohibited Locations’, it also states:

The provisions of R.S. 40:1379.3 (N) shall not limit the right of a property owner, lessee, or other lawful custodian to prohibit or restrict access of those persons possessing a concealed handgun pursuant to a permit issued under this Section

It is here that the Parish is given authority to add BREC parks as an additional ‘prohibited location’.

I appreciate your inquiry and your commitment to following the law when visiting the Zoo. If you have any further questions, don’t hesitate to let me know.

Phil Frost
    He is wrong with making that part of LA RS 1379.3 apply to a public owned park, current preemption laws keep that from happening. However, EBR does have a law on the books (posted above by Charlie) that bans firearms from the parks. This law existed prior to the LA preemption law of 1985, making it valid for even CHP carriers.

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Concealed means concealed(tm).

Well, yeah.

But say you're fishing at a Brec pond, and a Wildlife and Fisheries agent stops by to check your fishing license. Now you have a situation where you are approached by a LEO, and you're required to inform him that you have a weapon on you. Not a good situation.

If it was a matter of paying a ticket in that case, some may decide to chance it. If it was a matter of losing you LCHP, that's another thing.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom