How to install your ar front pivot pin without shooting the detent accross the room.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gmshooter

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    328   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    Gramercy La.
    Go to the hardware store and get pick up a 1/4" clevis pin with holes in it. slide pin in from right side of reciever.
    Detent.jpg
    Line up the first hole with hole in the reciever and place your spring and detent in.
    Detent1.jpg
    Push the detent and spring down with a small punch and start to pull the clevis pin out a little to capture it.
    Detent2.jpg
    Place your pivot pin against the clevis pin and start pushing it thru.
    detent3.jpg
    Detent4.jpg

Last edited:

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    I've got a really slim blade on a cheap 3 blade knife that I use, but this method of yours is fool proof. I will be using this from now on. I have seen a product, I think on brownells, that is identical to this in the way it is used, but made specifically for this. Thanks for the tip.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    GI cleaning rod will work as well. I used them all the time in the Army. You might have to put a little more downward pressure but it will get the job done.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    I have done some thing similar just used a 1/4 inch punch and a razor blade, pushed the detent down with the razor blade slide the punch all the way through to hold the detent, removed the razor blade and picked up the pivot pin. And slide the pivot pin through, definitely one of the quickest and easiest ways to do it.

Top Bottom