BayouShooter Ad Available
Boyds Gun Stocks

Thread: How to install your ar front pivot pin without shooting the detent accross the room.

Marksman
    Site Sponsor

How to install your ar front pivot pin without shooting the detent accross the room.

Go to the hardware store and get pick up a 1/4" clevis pin with holes in it. slide pin in from right side of reciever.
    Detent.jpg
    Line up the first hole with hole in the reciever and place your spring and detent in.
    Detent1.jpg
    Push the detent and spring down with a small punch and start to pull the clevis pin out a little to capture it.
    Detent2.jpg
    Place your pivot pin against the clevis pin and start pushing it thru.
    detent3.jpg
    Detent4.jpg
    Last edited by gmshooter; June 28th, 2012 at 11:15 PM.
    James Louque
    Louques Firearms LLC.
    225-206-1908
    TY28804 USPSA

I fought with that spring for about an hour. Great idea.
    Disarming the people is the first step to enslaving the people. What part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.” "Let the revolution begin."
    ― Ron Paul

Marksman
    Site Sponsor
    I have lost multiple and almost have taken my eye out a few times.
    James Louque
    Louques Firearms LLC.
    225-206-1908
    TY28804 USPSA

I used a credit card on mine after a while of trying with a flathead screwdriver. Was not an easy task.
    Disarming the people is the first step to enslaving the people. What part of "shall not be infringed" dont you understand?

“Let it not be said that no one cared, that no one objected once it’s realized that our liberties and wealth are in jeopardy.” "Let the revolution begin."
    ― Ron Paul

Marksman

Premium Member
    I've got a really slim blade on a cheap 3 blade knife that I use, but this method of yours is fool proof. I will be using this from now on. I have seen a product, I think on brownells, that is identical to this in the way it is used, but made specifically for this. Thanks for the tip.

In Vino Veritas

Premium Member
    GI cleaning rod will work as well. I used them all the time in the Army. You might have to put a little more downward pressure but it will get the job done.
    Quote Originally Posted by Guate_shooter View Post
    "Hoy por ti, mañana por mi" (today for you, tomorrow for me)
    "Sua Sponte"

"Onward we stagger, and if the tanks come, may God help the tanks."
    - Col. William O. Darby

Had a friend show me something very similar. Except he used and old wind chime.
    “Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering if they made a difference in the world. But, the Marines don't have that problem.”
    ― Ronald Reagan

Banned
    i have a hand tool i use for work that looks like it would work with removing the pin

Stupid is 'posed to hurt scooterj's Avatar
    Now people will know that it doesn't really take voodoo to put an "evil black rifle" together
    USPSA: TY-28619
    ICORE: LA1484
    Team Freedom GunWorks
    www.freedomgunworks.com
    You can't fix stupid and you can't teach common sense!

I don't believe you

Premium Member
    I just recently learned that method from a thread on AR15. Worked nicely though I have also used the thin razor method before.

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?82499

I have done some thing similar just used a 1/4 inch punch and a razor blade, pushed the detent down with the razor blade slide the punch all the way through to hold the detent, removed the razor blade and picked up the pivot pin. And slide the pivot pin through, definitely one of the quickest and easiest ways to do it.
    If you want peace prepare for war.