Dot Pattern on bottom of Glock barrel

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glocker

Avid Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    West Monroe
    Seeking some wisdom on why this little pattern shows up on my Gen 4 barrels and not my earlier models. I know there's some guys on here that know a lot more about Glocks than I do. Did a little research and didn't really find anything.

AF68E335-B3FE-4C2A-9DC7-DCFC9187202C-7310-0000066DC06EAA84.jpg

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    That's Braille. Glock makes barrel designed for normal people and the visually impaired. Those dots, should you know how to read Braille, will tell you which barrel you have. That's right - Glock, such a simple weapon, even a blind man can use it! :cool:

Yeah, I know that was cheesy, deal with it.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    That's Braille. Glock makes barrel designed for normal people and the visually impaired. Those dots, should you know how to read Braille, will tell you which barrel you have. That's right - Glock, such a simple weapon, even a blind man can use it! :cool:

Yeah, I know that was cheesy, deal with it.

:dogkeke:

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Seeking some wisdom on why this little pattern shows up on my Gen 4 barrels and not my earlier models. I know there's some guys on here that know a lot more about Glocks than I do. Did a little research and didn't really find anything.

AF68E335-B3FE-4C2A-9DC7-DCFC9187202C-7310-0000066DC06EAA84.jpg

I believe it's a machine readable 2D dot matrix bar code required by MIL STD 130.

JR1572

Last edited:

Glocker

Avid Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    West Monroe
    Somehow I knew the braille answer would come up :owned: JR that seems to make sense. I'll look into it some more thanks.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    You may have a "Miami Barrel".

Record Details - ED532815
    Title: The Miami Barrel: An Innovation in Forensic Firearms Identification

Full-Text Availability Options:

Help Finding Full Text | Find in a Library | Publisher's Web Site
    Related Items: Show Related Items
    Click on any of the links below to perform a new search
    Title: The Miami Barrel: An Innovation in Forensic Firearms Identification
    Authors: Fadul, Thomas G., Jr.
    Descriptors: Weapons; Identification; Examiners; Technology; Innovation; Crime; Evaluation Criteria; Documentation; Validity; Scientific Research
    Source: ProQuest LLC, Ph.D. Dissertation, Lynn University
    Peer Reviewed:
    Publisher: ProQuest LLC. 789 East Eisenhower Parkway, P.O. Box 1346, Ann Arbor, MI 48106. Tel: 800-521-0600; Web site: http://www.proquest.com/en-US/products/dissertations/individuals.shtml
    Publication Date: 2009-00-00
    Pages: 186
    Pub Types: Dissertations/Theses - Doctoral Dissertations
    Abstract: The scientific foundation in firearm and tool mark identification is that each firearm/tool produces a signature of identification (striation/impression) that is unique to that firearm/tool, and through examining the individual striations/impressions; the signature can be positively identified to the firearm/tool that produced it. There is no set number of matching striations that are needed for concluding an identification. The inability to identify fired bullets to individual Glock pistols resulted in an in-depth study of Glock's polygonal rifled barrels, which resulted in the manufacturing of the Miami/EBIS Gun Barrel. This research study provided the scholarly research that was needed to determine if questioned bullets from multiple consecutively manufactured Glock Miami/EBIS Gun Barrels could be distinguished from one and other, as well as the criteria for identification. This particular study explored the measurable differences between the relationship of traditional pattern matching, consecutive matching striations and/or a combination of both techniques through an experimental exercise involving bullets that were fired through consecutively manufactured Glock Miami/EBIS Gun Barrels. In addition the years of experience of the participants in relationship to the results of the experimental exercise was explored. The results of this study provide firearm and tool mark examiners documentation supporting and validating the theory and hypothesis of the forensic science discipline of firearm and tool mark identification. [The dissertation citations contained here are published with the permission of ProQuest LLC. Further reproduction is prohibited without permission. Copies of dissertations may be obtained by Telephone (800) 1-800-521-0600. Web page: http://www.proquest.com/en-US/products/dissertations/individuals.shtml.]
    Abstractor: As Provided

Last edited:

Glocker

Avid Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 18, 2011
    West Monroe
    Seems to be a readable bar code then, considering one is on a FDE G17 Gen 4. The example in the pic above is off a G19 Gen 4, just bought. Thanks for the info, I'll also try contacting Glock as JBP stated.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Possibly, but those are only available to LE agencies on a purchase order.

OP, what he's talking about is a way Glock came up with to be able to determine what bullet came out of which Glock. Polygonally-rifled barrels are notoriously difficult for a forensics examiner to identify a given bullet from, due to the nature of the rifling itself. For an extra fee, Glock manufactures the barrel in such a way that retains the superiority of the polygonal rifling yet makes the bullets from that barrel easy (or less difficult) to identify.

I seem to remember this odd-looking dot matrix arrangement visible within the frame on some Gen 3 pistols that I had detail-stripped to clean/service.

I could swear that the whole "bullet rifling signature" thing has to be a myth or tv generated urban legend.

I can understand being able to get an idea of the kind of firearm that may have been used in a crime through the rifling pattern, but trying to pin it to a specific individual firearm is too big of a stretch for me to believe.

lp11

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Livingston Parish
    yes it's a bar code, there is also one under the slide, and inside the mag well area, it's just another way to track parts of a weapon, a picture is taken of the bar code and sent to glock to be read.

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I could read it perfectly.

It's really put there for those of us who understand perfection, and have the ability to utilize that perfection completely.

If you can't read it from the pics, must be something wrong with you.

:)

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I could swear that the whole "bullet rifling signature" thing has to be a myth or tv generated urban legend.

I can understand being able to get an idea of the kind of firearm that may have been used in a crime through the rifling pattern, but trying to pin it to a specific individual firearm is too big of a stretch for me to believe.

Uh...are you serious? No different than analysis of fingerprints, micro fiber study, or a ton of other items that each have completely unique characteristics when examined microscopically.

The study of tool markings via electron microscope (IIRC) is a VERY old science and can lead to not only specific barrels, but specific knife/blade imprints in bone, cuts, blunt instrument impacts, etc. Ditto with markings from left casings and marks left via extractors. LSP gave you straight scoop Brother. It's determined science, it works, and perhaps more importantly, it has been accepted by the courts for over 50 years.

Mr_Willson

rifleman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 9, 2009
    mandeville
    Then you need to acquire some more imagination. It is a science; a highly developed science that has put many a killer in prison.

I dont know...

determining guilt solely through something that is machined the exact same way through the same exact process on a production line is a scary thought...

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LanceK
    Top Bottom