Any M!A Shooters Out There?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Finally got to shoot my M1A. Went deer hunting in South Carolina after Christmas and took a nice 8 point buck with it using Winchester Ballistic Tip 168gr bullets. Doped the scope for 1" high at 100 yds and held center mass on a 12" steel plate at 200 yards and that's exactly where the bullet impact was.
    Great way to break the ole girl in. Surprised at the light recoil. Even on the bench while dopeing the scope it was mild. Tried out the Checkmate Mags also. Don't care for the 5 rounder as it's hard to eject from the rifle as you have nothing to grab on to but the 20's functioned perfectly. I just love this weapon.

Saker

"Send It"
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 9, 2011
    Prairieville, LA
    Finally got to shoot my M1A. Went deer hunting in South Carolina after Christmas and took a nice 8 point buck with it using Winchester Ballistic Tip 168gr bullets. Doped the scope for 1" high at 100 yds and held center mass on a 12" steel plate at 200 yards and that's exactly where the bullet impact was.
    Great way to break the ole girl in. Surprised at the light recoil. Even on the bench while dopeing the scope it was mild. Tried out the Checkmate Mags also. Don't care for the 5 rounder as it's hard to eject from the rifle as you have nothing to grab on to but the 20's functioned perfectly. I just love this weapon.

Excellent info Gunfighter.....glad it shoots good for you. Congrats on the deer too!
    I have found that the 165-168's shoot extremely well in mine!
    As for as the Checkmate Mags, thats good pricing for great stuff (prior to scare).... that's what I have as well. I am not fond of the 5 rounder that came with my M1A. 5 runders seems hard to insert into weapon as well!

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    those of you with a scope mounted on your M1A know how difficult it is to thread a brush or patch on a cleaning rod at the breach end of the barrel. I don't like to run a brush or patch through the muzzle end if I can help it on any rifle. I purchased an Otis cleaning kit the other day that makes this operation easier with the flexible cleaning cable. You can drop the cleaning cable down the muzzle and into the breach/mag area and it will actually come out the side allowing you to thread a brush or patch jag and pull it back through the barrel in the direction the bullit travels. I've also used a bore snake for this as well.
    Was wondering what others do?

whitjct

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Rhode Island
    yde2ypup.jpg

Just traded my ar10 for my m1a socom in a blackfeather stock

franch1se82

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Belle Chasse
    tell me more about that stock...

i'd be interested in a second socom 16 in a tactical stock., sometime in the future.

falshooter

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 5, 2013
    Ponchatoula/Hammond
    I've been shooting a couple of Polytechs since '92/'93. Burned up many a case between them and some FAL's. They've always shot great with every type surplus ammo I've bought over the last 20 years.

MTregre

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 11, 2013
    St. Charles Parish
    20140908_200713_zps01eb175c.jpg

Still haven't shot it, use to shoot a M1 Garand. I'm looking to hunt with it but damn this safety is loud!

I just started looking for a scope. I plan to forward mount it so any recommendations would be great. Ill have to hold my budget at $400 most likely.

Top Bottom