Abbeville gun law???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    It appears it is in violation of state law RS 40:1796 and is in contradiction to the state constitution. It's surprising that no one has challenged that law.

§1796. Preemption of state law

A. No governing authority of a political subdivision shall enact after July 15, 1985, any ordinance or regulation more restrictive than state law concerning in any way the sale, purchase, possession, ownership, transfer, transportation, license, or registration of firearms, ammunition, or components of firearms or ammunition; however, this Section shall not apply to the levy and collection of sales and use taxes, license fees and taxes and permit fees, nor shall it affect the authority of political subdivisions to prohibit the possession of a weapon or firearm in certain commercial establishments and public buildings.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    I don't think it violates 40:1796 since it allows it in your residence and or business. Which kind of contradicts your transporting it to either location.

It shall be unlawful for any person to carry or possess on his person, whether concealed or not, any pistol, handgun, rifle, shotgun or other firearm. Provided, however, that the provisions of this section shall not apply to any law enforcement official engaged in the exercise of his official duties; nor shall it apply if the person possessing or carrying the firearm is located within the structural confines of his residence or business establishment.

I am not sure on the Conceal carry laws or the new Constitutional ammendment.

I am not sure they even know it is on the books, with all the shootings in Abbeville lately I have never seen that listed as a charge.
    IMHO. YMMV

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    carry or possess on his person, whether concealed or not

I am not a lawyer, I just thought this was strictly a carry issue. Which the RS 40:1796 does not state carry, as it does all other aspects of gun ownership.

I do not agree with the ordinance by any means and considering there are at least 1 possibly more CCL instructors in the city makes it kind of funny.
    Just my thoughts. One of our legal representatives on the boards could give an opinion worth a whole lot more than mine.

I'd try to ask someone in the city system, but don't really know who to get a right answer from. I've seen how they answer electrical questions first hand and their answer on this would probably be as helpful.(as in no help at all)

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Uh, wut? Did they draft this after borrowing ordinances from some city in California? :doh:

So what do they do during duck season? Sneak out of their homes? :dogkeke:

That's beyond stupid.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I am not a lawyer, I just thought this was strictly a carry issue. Which the RS 40:1796 does not state carry, as it does all other aspects of gun ownership.

I do not agree with the ordinance by any means and considering there are at least 1 possibly more CCL instructors in the city makes it kind of funny.
    Just my thoughts. One of our legal representatives on the boards could give an opinion worth a whole lot more than mine.

I'd try to ask someone in the city system, but don't really know who to get a right answer from. I've seen how they answer electrical questions first hand and their answer on this would probably be as helpful.(as in no help at all)

Try the City Attorney, ask him/her to read LRS 40:1796 and his City ordinance and see what they say. Maybe they have motorcycle money ready.

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    I am not a lawyer, I just thought this was strictly a carry issue. Which the RS 40:1796 does not state carry, as it does all other aspects of gun ownership.[...]

§1796. Preemption of state law

A. No governing authority of a political subdivision shall enact after July 15, 1985, any ordinance or regulation more restrictive than state law concerning in any way the sale, purchase, possession, [...]

I'm sure possession, includes on the person. The Attorney General has already made an opinion about laws against open carry.

It is the opinion of this office that the state statutes aforementioned (RS 14:95) have the purpose of establishing a general scheme to control weapons (handguns) and that a fair reading of those statutes show this would constitute an area in which the state has preempted the legislative control and has implicitly authorized the carrying of unconcealed weapons. [...] Sincerely William J. Guste, Jr. Attorney General

I'm not a lawyer, your mileage may vary, etc.

You can find that document at http://www.ag.state.la.us/Opinions.aspx search term "78-0795"

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    Well the answer I got was a politicians answer. I was told that the city attourney said he knew about the ordinance and that it would cost more money than it was worth to remove the ordinance. He also said that if by some off chance someone would get charged with this it would get thrown out. Thats all I got. Any body is welcome to call city hall and ask to speak to Mayor Mark Piazza if you have further questions .

City of Abbeville
    P. O. Box 1170
    Abbeville, LA 70511
    Phone: 337-893-8550
    Fax: 337-898-4298

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Well the answer I got was a politicians answer. I was told that the city attourney said he knew about the ordinance and that it would cost more money than it was worth to remove the ordinance. He also said that if by some off chance someone would get charged with this it would get thrown out.

A perfect example of how politicians earn the contempt that is heaped upon them.

The City Attorney thinks that keeping a bad/unconstitutional law on the books is a dollar decision. Typical.

And how much does he think it will cost the taxpayers when some MEM type takes them to court and wins because the city officials knowingly let an unconstitutional law remain on the books just waiting for an overzealous, under-educated police officer to step in the trap?

How much does it cost to have a councilman introduce an ordinance repealing an ordinance and having the others say "aye?" Next to nothing I think. Hell, the way most councils throw proposed legislation around you would think they're printed on perforated paper and packaged on cardboard rolls.

So he thinks the charges would be dropped? That still means some poor fella is out money for bond, attorney fees, etc. And pissed off for being humiliated in an unlawful arrest. Cue the MEM check writer.

And who would drop the charges?
    -Does the City Attorney propose to not prosecute an arrest that is clearly within the purview of this law? That sounds like more than prosecutorial discretion to me!
    -A judge? So now, in addition to the arrest, some guy is dragged into court, with additional lawyer fees to boot? Cue a larger MEM check writer.

Finally, how much will it cost the city to defend itself in court after this ****-bomb explodes?

Great bunch of public servants.

cajun_64

Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Mar 22, 2012
    Abbeville
    A perfect example of how politicians earn the contempt that is heaped upon them.

The City Attorney thinks that keeping a bad/unconstitutional law on the books is a dollar decision. Typical.

And how much does he think it will cost the taxpayers when some MEM type takes them to court and wins because the city officials knowingly let an unconstitutional law remain on the books just waiting for an overzealous, under-educated police officer to step in the trap?

How much does it cost to have a councilman introduce an ordinance repealing an ordinance and having the others say "aye?" Next to nothing I think. Hell, the way most councils throw proposed legislation around you would think they're printed on perforated paper and packaged on cardboard rolls.

So he thinks the charges would be dropped? That still means some poor fella is out money for bond, attorney fees, etc. And pissed off for being humiliated in an unlawful arrest. Cue the MEM check writer.

And who would drop the charges?
    -Does the City Attorney propose to not prosecute an arrest that is clearly within the purview of this law? That sounds like more than prosecutorial discretion to me!
    -A judge? So now, in addition to the arrest, some guy is dragged into court, with additional lawyer fees to boot? Cue a larger MEM check writer.

Finally, how much will it cost the city to defend itself in court after this ****-bomb explodes?

Great bunch of public servants.

The City attorney is not the District Attorney, IIRC. The District Attorney will do his own thing more than likely.

However, as I said previously, with as many shootings this year(and there has been way too many) No one has been charged with this offense, AFAIK.

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    The City attorney is not the District Attorney, IIRC. The District Attorney will do his own thing more than likely.

However, as I said previously, with as many shootings this year(and there has been way too many) No one has been charged with this offense, AFAIK.

I see the distinction now (city atty vs DA) now, thanks.

I still think the right thing to do is to take down the law. I'm just one of those black and white guys. If you know you have an illegal law on the books, correct the issue. Politicians believe in expediency so they leave it alone until it explodes.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I see the distinction now (city atty vs DA) now, thanks.

I still think the right thing to do is to take down the law. I'm just one of those black and white guys. If you know you have an illegal law on the books, correct the issue. Politicians believe in expediency so they leave it alone until it explodes.

I agree get rid of the bad law or get the MEM check writer to get his pen out.

Gerberman

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 1, 2009
    They want to keep it on the books "just in case" they need to bust someone for it and on the off chance the poor sap doesn't challenge it or have a lawyer that knows to challenge it. Good idea would be to alert the local public defenders office. They are much more likely to run across someone charged with this.

Cajun Camper

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Lafayette, La.
    Remember this is Abbeville. Who knows what went thru their head when this was put on the books. Good luck getting a straight answer out of Mark or any Politician. I was born & raised there so I know of what I speak.

Top Bottom