200 yd match this weekend

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dwr461

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I'll be in Amite. I'll be embarrassing myself with a revolver in Amite rather than in Ascension embarrassing myself with a rifle.

Dave

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I dropped by the match today as it was ending. Lots of BSers out there. One who will remain nameless discovered the outer limit of usefulness of an M1 Carbine.

Also, one of our juniors is on fire in the slow prone stage of these matches (AR Boy on BS.com). Yesterday he shot a 195-5X at Palo Alto (full 600 yards). Today, he shot a 197-7X on the 600 reduced to 200 target (I personally have more trouble shooting a good score on this target). His 3 lost points were a 9 on shot 17 and an 8 on shot 20. I think he was so excited to complete the string that he didn't concentrate on his follow through fo the last shot.

Request Dust Off

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 11, 2007
    Westbank N.O.
    One who will remain nameless discovered the outer limit of usefulness of an M1 Carbine.

It was me guys. It was my birthday present to "One who will remain nameless". OK, so I'm not good a picking out birthday gifts.

It was more of the inner limit of uselessness.

It was picked up a week ago. I cleaned it up. It was to get the cosmoline off and a first pass quick & dirty cleanup. I procured 100 rds of ammo. (no easy task) I reserved 75 for the match even though 58 is the round count. I asked around a bit on what is the 25 & 50 yard POI for a 200 yd zero. I went to an indoor range and got it function checked a rough zero. Incidently 2" high @ 25 & 4.3 to 4.5 high @ 50 correspond to 0" @ 200y.

I knew I would be up against the odds from the get go and the outlook grew dimmer at every turn. The trajectory has it dropping 8" between 175 & 225yds. When I signed up I made sure to ask if it was OK to shoot the M1 Carbine. Answer was "If you can keep it on paper". To put it in perspective the National Match for M1 Carbine is held at 100 yards.

I also just shot the M1 - no jacket, glove or anything

1st stage is offhand.
    I managed a 65 out of 100. I had a 10, a miss and everything in between.
    Sitting was a 55 out of 100. 10 and 2 misses.
    Rapid Prone 50 out of 100. 10 and 3 misses.
    Slow Prone 46 out of 200. 9, 8, 7, and 14 misses.
    Grand total of 216 out of 500.
    I shot a 426 out of 500 with the LSA Rental AR on the same course of fire my first time out.

The trend wasn't going the way it should. And the target gets smaller, Literally. They use a smaller target. The sad part is nothing I did seemed to make a difference. You have to use a bit of Kentucky windage. The sight on the M1 Carbine uses detents for elevation set @ 100, 150, 200, 250 and 300. Windage is 1 MOA per click. There is no automatic bolt hold open - it has a pin that works manually. I just wasn't grouping.

The rifle ended up pretty dirty. So that may not have helped. I hesitate to blame the ammo even though better ammo may help. I have less than a 100 rounds through the rifle yet, so the best conclusion is it was me. If I own the 10's I own the M's. I think I could improve the score but how much would remain to be seen. It would defintely take some sorting out and even developing a handload.

Part of me says you did it once move on to other things. Part of me says do it once more after improving and practicing.

Bottom line is it was fun. The M1 Carbine is a slick little weapon and I had it outside of it's realm. It is a fine pointing weapon up close. Natural point of aim is easy to acheive with it.

Making it out to the match was better than not making it out.

AR rental $5.00 - think about it.

Later,
    RDO

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom