Minimum Wage Protests

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    Did anybody actually witness any of these protests? This seems to be a movement that just can't get much momentum. Personally, I think the MW should go up some, but I just don't know how much, nor am I sure what the real economic impact will be. Nonetheless, I expect it will go up whether the Federal govt does it or not -- more than 120 cities across the U.S. have already raised their minimums, some three dozen states have considered proposals to raise the minimum wage and six states and the District of Columbia have voted for hikes, including Connecticut ($10.10 by 2017), Delaware ($8.25 by 2015), Maryland ($10.10 by 2018), Minnesota ($9.50 by 2016), West Virginia ($8.50 by 2016) and just last week, Hawaii, which will phase in a $10.10 wage over three-and-a-half years. DC will raise its minimum to $11.50 by 2016.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurash...ts-over-minimum-wage-spread-across-the-globe/

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    its stupid imo. it needs to be adjusted to accommodate inflation, nothing more.

its not intended to be a living wage, its the minimum pay allowed by law when hiring someone that is only qualified to convert oxygen into carbon dioxide.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    its stupid imo. it needs to be adjusted to accommodate inflation, nothing more.

its not intended to be a living wage, its the minimum pay allowed by law when hiring someone that is only qualified to convert oxygen into carbon dioxide.

You see the California congresswoman saying that she would support a $25 minimum wage in California? $52000 annual full-time pay MINIMUM. ....the stupid of some people is staggering. California has some really pricey places, but you're not going to help anyone by raising the minimum wage to $25. All that will do is bring more people to the state, increasing the pool of potential workers for the same number of jobs, and eventually leading to an inflated unemployment rate...

Keep it adjusted for inflation so they're not falling into a worse and worse situation each year. Other than that, these jobs are starting-points, not end-points.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    You see the California congresswoman saying that she would support a $25 minimum wage in California? $52000 annual full-time pay MINIMUM. ....the stupid of some people is staggering. California has some really pricey places, but you're not going to help anyone by raising the minimum wage to $25. All that will do is bring more people to the state, increasing the pool of potential workers for the same number of jobs, and eventually leading to an inflated unemployment rate...

Keep it adjusted for inflation so they're not falling into a worse and worse situation each year. Other than that, these jobs are starting-points, not end-points.

california is so beyond stupid i don't even invest thought into what they do anymore. I just know I'd ride a floating door to cuba before I'd live there.

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA

Nevermind that the people who work minimum wage jobs generally don't bring $25/hr worth of productivity to their employers. Expect to see lots of people who were scraping by, or working part time during school to be laid off. Without seriously increasing prices, you just can't justify a retail store paying cashiers that much to scan items all day. Higher minimum wage leads to higher unemployment and inflation.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    Did anybody actually witness any of these protests? This seems to be a movement that just can't get much momentum. Personally, I think the MW should go up some, but I just don't know how much, nor am I sure what the real economic impact will be. Nonetheless, I expect it will go up whether the Federal govt does it or not -- more than 120 cities across the U.S. have already raised their minimums, some three dozen states have considered proposals to raise the minimum wage and six states and the District of Columbia have voted for hikes, including Connecticut ($10.10 by 2017), Delaware ($8.25 by 2015), Maryland ($10.10 by 2018), Minnesota ($9.50 by 2016), West Virginia ($8.50 by 2016) and just last week, Hawaii, which will phase in a $10.10 wage over three-and-a-half years. DC will raise its minimum to $11.50 by 2016.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/laurash...ts-over-minimum-wage-spread-across-the-globe/

Yea...I agree, I think the min wage should probably be a dollar or so higher. But 15.00 an hour.....Come on. Half of those asking for a higher wage would loose their jobs if all fast food companies paid 15.00 an hour.

They would get replaced by higher educated and harder working college students....OVERNIGHT !!!

The upside is we'd all get the correct order when we go through the drive through.

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    images

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Nevermind that the people who work minimum wage jobs generally don't bring $25/hr worth of productivity to their employers..

This
    I'll never forget my first company job interview.
    Minimum wage was $5 something and the store manager asked what I expected to earn and I asked him what was I expected to do.
    He laughed for a moment and said for minimum wage we hire a body to be here.
    For $6 you need to work as you are told.
    For $7 you do your work and think a little too.
    For $8 you lead others to do get their job better.

The best company boss I ever had.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    What they do not realize is that if they were to get that pay raise it would throw off the entire countries pay scale. If they were to get a 108% pay raise then every CEO out there would expect the same and so would every other working person. So in reality they would not accomplish anything because the cost of basic items would increase as well. They think stuff is expensive now, please!!!!

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    15.00 per hour to make burgers. including ingredients, man hours, and packaging your big mac would now cost ~12.50.

the people that are demanding this are too stupid to grasp that concept, so I'll just +1 to replace them with a 2000.00 machine.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    What they do not realize is that if they were to get that pay raise it would throw off the entire countries pay scale. If they were to get a 108% pay raise then every CEO out there would expect the same and so would every other working person. So in reality they would not accomplish anything because the cost of basic items would increase as well. They think stuff is expensive now, please!!!!

I doubt that a CEO really cares about the bottom-of-the-barrel worker's pay. But he sure as hell isn't going to let it impact /his/ take-home. So maybe they lay off 50% of the people or raise their price or stop contributing to 401k's....

The real issue is that these people make minimum wage because they don't have **** to offer (we were all there at one point). If you jack up the minimum wage to higher than what people who do have **** to offer are making, then the present minimum-wage earners are going to be even worse off as there will then be competition from those who do have more to offer than an empty stare and bad acne.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    how about this for a crackpot Theory . they want to raise the minimum wage to get more people on government assistance .people already making abovef minimum wage won't see a raise they will just have to suffer happen to see the cost of living and everything else go up. so while they are in essence now making minimum wage they may have to get government assistance that a lot of the people on minimum wage are already getting just to survive. creating more just enough jobs. the small businesses will have to close because they can't afford it while the larger corporations like Walmart will pay people to work there while they reciprocate buying food from Walmart with food stamps

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    It's called inflation. It happens, and we want it to happen at a controlled pace. Raise minimum wage faster than inflation, and after some growing pains, we'll be right back where we started. Economics do not work the way these people think they do.

oscar615

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    SE LA
    Ban minimum wage. Let the market work it out. It was a bad idea when it started and it is a bad idea now.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

Fred_G

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    West Monroe
    Ban minimum wage. Let the market work it out. It was a bad idea when it started and it is a bad idea now.

This. Minimum wage reduces employment positions for entry level workers, who have no skills.

The real problem for low-skilled workers is not that they're under paid, but that they're under productive. The solution is to improve their skills and education. One of the ways to do this is to have a climate where youngsters can have early work experiences. The little bit of money a youngster can earn after school and weekends is nice but not nearly as beneficial as the lessons learned such as: proper work attitudes, promptness, and respect for supervisors. For youngsters living in dysfunctional homes and attending rotten schools, a job might be their only chance to learn something that will make them more valuable workers in the future. I'm glad today's do-gooders weren't around in the 1940s when I was a teen.

http://econfaculty.gmu.edu/wew/articles/99/folly.html

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Stupid libs with zero understanding of economics

Bingo. In my macroeconomics class last semester we had someone argue with the professor that minimum wage is a GOOD idea because it helps the poor. She just couldn't grasp how wrong she was. The whole concept that if you move minimum wage up, other prices have to go up to escaped her.

Top Bottom