3 Officers Involved in Shooting at Summerlin Costco

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    According to many lawyers AND police, I AM 100% right and the fact is that the way I explained it IS the safest route ANYONE can take when they stopped by the police which is the context that I have been referring to. If I call the police to report a crime, I will give them every single bit of information I have. These are two COMPLETELY separate issues and I can't believe you didn't realize that from the outset. Again, we are getting into thread drift and again I am bowing out and standing by what I have said.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    According to many lawyers AND police, I AM 100% right and the fact is that the way I explained it IS the safest route ANYONE can take when they stopped by the police which is the context that I have been referring to. If I call the police to report a crime, I will give them every single bit of information I have. These are two COMPLETELY separate issues and I can't believe you didn't realize that from the outset. Again, we are getting into thread drift and again I am bowing out and standing by what I have said.

Whatever, come back when you can discuss topics like the big boys.:rolleyes:

i guess the 15 years i have been in law enforcement I have been wrong the whole time and so have all cops I have worked with. i guess I missed out on really sticking to people like you. Well, maybe next time.

If that works for you, then by all means roll on. However those of us who actually perform the job will continue to help people and advise people more realistically.

CAVEAT--Generally speaking, it is in one's best interest when they are suspected of a crime to not give out information. However, it is not always harmful to do so, and not ALWAYS helpful to clam up.

If I suspect you killed someone, and you did not, and I am placing you in cuffs for the murder, but the real murder whom you witnessed is standing across the street, I guess it helps you to not say anything and let him get away. or if someone can easily verify your whereabouts at the time of the murder, it will devastate your case to advise the officers where you were and whom can confirm that.

You may want to refer back to your previous post about who you are getting your "cops are out to get you" ideology from. You were right the first time.

They are also under the stresses put on them, in some cases, by chiefs who are little more than politicians who are out for power and control instead of justice and serving & protecting. Stack a bad mayor on top and you have a job I wish on no one!
    That even more importantly can include Sheriff's. I know several myself.

Last edited:

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA
    I have always been, and continue to be, VERY respectfully to the police and 100% cooperative within what I am legally compelled to. I still am with the exception being that I no longer surrender my rights just because I am asked to do so. I act within the law and am polite, respectful at all times and follow all LAWFUL requests to a "T". I don't "bash cops", I simply do not put my full faith and trust in them because they lie to trip you up. That is their job and perfectly legal too. They are NOT your friend. They are there to find criminals and arrest them. They are not there to protect YOU. They are there to protect "the public" as shown by the Supreme Court. YOU are responsible for YOUR protection and keeping your mouth shut and not giving up your rights by allowing them to search your vehicle without probable cause is perfectly legal and in your best interest even if you have nothing to hide. NOTHING you say can HELP you. It can only hurt you. Be polite, be respectfully, answer who you are, where you live and that anything else they want to know they can ask your attorney.

Anybody else thinking 966 after reading this?

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    966? Sorry, I don't get the reference.

It is a reference to the "someone" possibly being on drugs.:dogkeke::dogkeke:

Figured you would know that since you are so dialed in on the pulse of the LEO community. Ask your sheriff friend. He seems to know everything else.

Just how juvenile ARE you?

Apparently less than you. I was having a discussion, but because my entire life and professional experience tells me other than what your esteemed mentors tell you....you took your little balls and went home. Sorry, I mean you lied and said you would bow out but came back for one more insult.

Last edited:

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Fine, I have had enough. Thanks for being a **** poor representation of the police. YOU kept the childish **** up. I made the mistake of taking the bait. Way to act there guys. Can't even TRY to meet in the middle when I have been trying real hard to do so. Please be sure to gloat like some bow-headed school girls "because you showed me". Unfreaking believable!

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Fine, I have had enough. Thanks for being a **** poor representation of the police. YOU kept the childish **** up. I made the mistake of taking the bait. Way to act there guys. Can't even TRY to meet in the middle when I have been trying real hard to do so. Please be sure to gloat like some bow-headed school girls "because you showed me". Unfreaking believable!

PLEASE. NOOOOOO! DON'T GO!!!!!

:mamoru::mamoru::mamoru:

Not sure where saying ALL cops lie to you and talking to them is NEVER going to help, and basically painting ALL cops i n a negative light is "meeting in the middle", that seems a little absolute,but your posts have clearly displayed that you have your own version of reality, and who am I to rain on your little parade? :wtc:

The funny thing is, in most circumstances that you would find yourself talking to the police, I am the first one you would want there. However your convoluted viewpoint and obvious bigotry towards LEO won't even allow you to learn.

The offer still stands. When you can discuss, answer questions directly posed to you with out acting like a child, please return.

I would love to know the story behind your screen name.

:bowdown::bowdown::bowdown::noes::noes::noes:
    Gloating as directed.......

rebelray84

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 7, 2010
    Amite,LA

Guess I hit that nail on the head.

Oh I'm sorry I baited you.....oh no wait a minute I lied to you.......you TRICKED ME!.......on second thought no your just a renegade cop out to get poor innocent people!Oh well never mind my buddy THE SHERIFF will get me off........................

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I'm winging this thought process on an iPhone and talking to Spec at the same time. So pardon any half thoughts.

Hitman mentioned incidents involving vets were on the rise. I agree the media awareness has focused on these events and I think Timothy McVeigh began this national portrayal of our broken soldiers.

But it seems to this thirty plus year old that each generation has dealt with their stereotyped vet.

Gun related crimes in schools thirty years ago, we never heard about them. But I wonder if it isn't a type of copycat social mentality. "This" is how you handle "it". Joke enough about going postal and somebody will. I wonder if we drop the national attention towards, say... school shootings, stop implanting a-ha! moments in these heads, we would see a decrease over the next several years.

I may be ass backwards wrong.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Back on topic.

One thing none of you has mentioned it the possibility that this guy did this on purpose.

S.B.C.

Oh and, what a bunch of idiots!

Last edited:

Knave

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Oh nevermind, I was confusing the article posted a few pages back with the Costco story.

Anyways, just because the guy in this story was a veteran, West Point grad, and whatever else, doesn't mean he wouldn't point a gun at the police. Servicemen can be criminals..the Hi-Fi Murders being a prime example along with countless others. Hell, Fort Hood just happened last year.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    Oh nevermind, I was confusing the article posted a few pages back with the Costco story.

Anyways, just because the guy in this story was a veteran, West Point grad, and whatever else, doesn't mean he wouldn't point a gun at the police. Servicemen can be criminals..the Hi-Fi Murders being a prime example along with countless others. Hell, Fort Hood just happened last year.

Truer words were never spoken. It does go to show he knew better but what his actions were is still being debated. If there was usable video of this, we should have seen/geard about it by now. I'm still waiting on what it showed if it exists.

herohog

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    8 News said:
    Police Have Not Viewed Costco Surveillance Tapes

LAS VEGAS -- Detectives investigating an officer involved shooting at a Summerlin Costco have still not viewed surveillance video of the incident.

Officers opened fire on Erik Scott on Saturday after Costco employees said he was destroying store merchandise and had a gun. Police say Scott pointed his gun at officers before they fired their weapons, but witness statements contradict information released by investigators. Scott was a West Point graduate with a valid concealed weapons permit.

Detectives hope to view surveillance video of the incident, but have sent it for forensic examination because of a technical issue with Costco's recording equipment. It's still unclear if the incident was even captured on video or if the equipment was working properly the day of the shooting.

According to Scott's father, Erik was in the store shopping for water bottles. "He was in Costco looking for metal water bottles and tried them out to see if they would fit in the cooler he had. There was a Costco employee there with him at the time. From there forward we have a pretty good picture what happened," said William Scott.

Police have also refused to release the 911 tapes made during the incident. A coroner's inquest into the shooting has not been scheduled, but it is expected to happen sometime in September.

Now we know there was video. Now we just have to wait and see if it is GOOD video and if it is, what it shows. The "destroying store merchandise" was nothing more than opening packaging to see if the item fit his bag/pack. I would assume he would have paid for the item had it fit. Had he damaged the packaging and not bought the item, THEN you could fault that but it certainly isn't something bad enough to cause the store to be evacuated or to get shot over.

Bayoupiper

New Curmudgeon
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Iowa, LA
    Now we know there was video. Now we just have to wait and see if it is GOOD video and if it is, what it shows. The "destroying store merchandise" was nothing more than opening packaging to see if the item fit his bag/pack. I would assume he would have paid for the item had it fit. Had he damaged the packaging and not bought the item, THEN you could fault that but it certainly isn't something bad enough to cause the store to be evacuated or to get shot over.

Guilty until proven innocent?

Top Bottom