Austin gun buyback, with a twist!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Speedlace

LOL...right?
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 23, 2007
    $100 gift card or $110 cash.
    Edging out the PD by $10.:mamoru:

Click fo VID.
    "There's nothing wrong or illegal with private citizens purchasing firearms," said John Bush, with Texans for Accountable Government.

Bush and others from Texans for Accountable Government offered a better deal with $110 dollars in cash for a pistol, rifle or shotgun and $220 dollars for assault rifles.
    http://www.myfoxaustin.com/dpp/news/local/Guns-For-Cards-and-Guns-For-Cash-20110226-ktbcw
    http://www.kvue.com/news/Hundreds-trade-in-their-guns-for-groceries-116980608.html

Looked like someone turned in a AR pistol.
    http://www.kxan.com/dpp/news/local/...ns?ref=scroller&categoryId=10001&status=false

:)

ryan

Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Metairie
    how would these guys check for stolen guns before they bought them? I would assume that there are a few stolens that come in at buybacks.

Rahllin

Geaux Tigers!
    Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    78   0   0
    Feb 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    You hear about this often it seems, but this is the first I have seen in a coordination by a large group of private citizens. Glad the police officers were cooperative rather than aggressive. Whoever was interviewed claimed they did this to help those who can't afford a gun for themselves... I really doubt that was the motive. I wonder how organized this was. Did a bunch of people help each other out by inspecting the guns and pooling their money to buy for "the cause." I couldn't imagine that working well. I could just picture a group of guys running up to each person they see bringing in a gun that they might want, and if more than one of them wants it, they probably tried to outbid each other.

artabr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    New Iberia , Louisiana
    how would these guys check for stolen guns before they bought them? I would assume that there are a few stolens that come in at buybacks.

This is the only downside that I see.
    You end up in possession of a stolen weapon.
    And the true owner of that weapon is still out of a gun.

Art

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If I were the owner I'd pay you what u paid to get it from the person illegally possessing it. But that would require someone running the serial numbers.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I could just picture a group of guys running up to each person they see bringing in a gun that they might want, and if more than one of them wants it, they probably tried to outbid each other.

I would bet that maybe 1 (at most) of the 400 guns turned in would be worthy of counter bidding. I find it hard to believe that people are turning in things of considerable value, barring the rare instance of a widow not knowing what she's got.

One of those articles said about 80% of the weapons were inoperable. That cuts the field down dramatically.

Don't get me wrong-- I'm not saying that the guys outbidding the police were doing it all for charity. I'm sure there's plenty of room to make 50% or more profit on some of the things they're picking up, and there's plenty of room for self-serving behavior in a situation like this. I just highly doubt they're fighting tooth-and-nail over many (if any) of the guns that show up at these buy backs.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    What scares me is the "We're turning in our guns so nobody can break in, steal them, and use them in a crime" sheeple bleating.

Dear God... TEXANS are saying this??? We're doomed.

Yeah, if you shoot the bastard breaking in, he won't steal anything.

Top Bottom